Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Rep points and Rep Power. [Everything you wanted to know but never dared to ask]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Rep points and Rep Power. [Everything you wanted to know but never dared to ask]

As of 2 of November they changed the system again so the part about the exact quantity of rep power is outdated (and unknown for non-admin users)

For example I dropped from 5 rep power to 2

I am not going to explain what the rep points and rep power are. In case you have doubts with this I suggest you read the FAQ and a Guide for giving Rep

First of all: The T-I admins have never revealed the exact formula of how the rep power is calculated and this is only an approximation.
    It is therefore UNOFFICIAL

FACTS
    1. Base formula: You start with +1 Rep Power and get +1 once you get certain amount of Rep ponts (Rep/160? or Rep/200?)
    2. Modifiers: Activity on forum (Post count?) & Register date (1 point for every 5 months?)
    3. VIP, Mods, Staff or Exalted don't affect Rep power in any way, they DON'T have unlimite rep power and can't manipulate their rep power or the rep power of other users (except giving rep points in the normal way)
    4. iGivers doesnt affect Rep power
    5. Likes (at current rules) are the same as +1 Rep power and therefore have the same effect in rep power

USEFUL QUOTES AND LINKS
    TankGirl
    You should be happy that someone repped you rather than obsess over the exact amount and care abount the comment attached to the rep instead of the total amount of rep
    However, as I am curious I wanted to know about how this system works

Looking at older posts helps you get an idea of how the total amount of Rep Power is calculated.

Link 1
    Copper
    Rep power is based on your total rep points. It is currently something like 0.6% of your total rep points. It is also weighted by how long or how active you are on site.
    The old formula revealed 3 years ago was:

Copper
    Rep power, the maximum amount of rep you can give is a percentage of your total rep.. I believe it averages out to about 1 rep power for every 160 total rep points. If I recall correctly, rep power goes something like this:
    total rep /rep power
    500 = 3
    1000 = 6
    5000 = 31
    7500 = 48
    But the rep formula has been adjusted since then, so the figures from three years ago no longer apply

These are the factors in Link 2
    marco123
    Register Date Factor:
    For every of days that a user has been registered, they are given one more point of reputation-altering power.

Post Count Factor:
    For every number of posts that a user makes, they will gain one more point of reputation-altering power.

Reputation Point Factor:
    For every points of reputation that a user gets, they gain one more point of reputation-altering power.

As said in Link 1
    Copper
    VIP or Exalted do not have any effect on the rep power per se.
    There are many advantages to VIP and our Exalted members appreciate the support of their peers. But I can tell you that it did not change my rep power when I became VIP and Exalted. And staff do not have unlimited rep.. they build rep just like other members. If you look at the membership list and sort it by reputation, you will see this.

This is the Link 3: How Many Rep Points Have You Got??? And Whats Your Rep Power???*
    (This is really useful because it can give you an idea of how it is calculated with examples from users)

A week ago a clarification was made about the system:

Copper
    If you are really curious, this has been asked and answered more than once in the past. But since few use the search button.. it gets asked over and over again. In short, rep comes from other members who rep a particularly good or helpful post of yours. It has nothing to do with igivers, time on site or whether you are staff. Those of you who follow the site announcements will know the new likes system also adds a rep point when a like is given to a post. And rep power is simply a percentage of your total rep.. approximately 160:1 at the moment. Rep power is also weighted by how active you are on site.. so rep power will fade if you are inactive. You can discern the approximate rep of a member by hovering your mouse over their avatar footer as explained in the FAQ.

Also bear in mind that it is not permitted to ask for rep. Anyone found asking for rep or abusing the rep system will find a way that rep can decrease as well.

A formula mate8 posted seems to work on most people
    + 1 for every 200 rep
    + 1 for every 5 months (max 3 points)
    Updated 2012: Since the month I was 2 years on the site my power went up from 2 to 3 (+1 for each year?)

Contribution by TechKwonDo
    The base formula is definitely 1 + FLOOR(Rep/200).

VIP definitely does not make a difference.
    iGivers do not appear to make a difference (at least 46 of them doesn't).

There are definitely other milestones though. I've been repped + 21 by someone with less than 4000 rep points, and I suspect that the note above about + 1 per 5 months with maybe another +1 per 500 posts or something like that is possible. If there is a post/time bonus, I don't apply for either yet though.

2 useful posts about getting Rep in case you didnt know:

You want rep? Win the attention of the community...
    How to earn your rep and be an asset to the community.

REPUTATION BAR

Link 4: Reputation on this site

< 500 rep points -- awarded 1 reputation bar for every 100 points
    => 500 points -- awarded 1 reputation bar for every 200 points

1 bar 1 - 99
    2 bars 100 - 199
    3 bars 200 - 299
    4 bars 300 - 399
    5 bars 400 - 499
    6 bars 500 - 699
    7 bars 700 - 899
    8 bars 900 - 1099
    9 bars 1100 - 1299
    10 bars 1300 - 1499
    11 bars => 1500

MESSAGE IN REP BAR

You can guess how much rep points someone have by the message you get in rep bar, from T-I FAQ
    • User is infamous around these parts -20
    • User has a little shameless behaviour in the past -5
    • User is an unknown quantity at this point 0
    • User is on a distinguished road 5
    • User will become famous soon enough 20
    • User has a spectacular aura about 100
    • User is a jewel in the rough 250
    • User is just really nice 500
    • User is a glorious beacon of light 750
    • User is a name known to all 1000
    • User is a splendid one to behold 1500
    • User has much to be proud of 2000
    • User has a brilliant future 2500
    • User has a reputation beyond repute 3000
    • User is a T-I hero 4000
    • User is a T-I legend 5000
    • User is a T-I Titan 15000
    • User is a T-I God 30000
    • User is a God amongst all T-I 60000
    • User is everything and nothing 120000

Last edited by Fdez87; January 3, 2013, 06:03 AM.

I am not a native Speaker so any feedback is welcomed

Excellent post, thanks!

Comment

Copper
      Rep power is also weighted by how active you are on site.. so rep power will fade if you are inactive.

This is curious too. I wonder if it has some sort factor like posts/month or something.

Comment

Nice job making this!
        Thanks extJSDB for VIP!

Comment

The base formula is definitely 1 + FLOOR(Rep/200).

VIP definitely does not make a difference.
          iGivers do not appear to make a difference (at least 46 of them doesn't).

There are definitely other milestones though. I've been repped + 21 by someone with less than 4000 rep points, and I suspect that the note above about + 1 per 5 months with maybe another +1 per 500 posts or something like that is possible. If there is a post/time bonus, I don't apply for either yet though.
          Last edited by TechKwonDo; October 23, 2012, 08:29 PM.

Comment

Nice post thanks for the info.

Comment

The rep system has changed. For example I dropped from 5 to 2 rep power.

It is unknown wether the modifiers or the base formula are the same
              Last edited by Fdez87; November 2, 2012, 06:26 AM.

Comment

excellent post.... very interesting
                sigpic

Comment

Sorry, but I fail to see why everyone is so infatuated with knowing how rep is calculated. Does it really matter if you receive 1 extra rep point for every 2000 posts you make, or indeed if you happen to be a member for 20yrs? Why can't people be happy in the knowledge that their contributions are being recognised by other members and that they are being rewarded for their efforts in the form of points, why does it have to be broken down?

No offence but explaining how the system works and how rep is calculated will only encourage people to try to find ways to cheat the system and we already have enough problems in that department. Lets dispense with the questions of how its calculated and concentrate on the happy, warm fuzzy feeling you get when you receive some ;)
                  sigpic

Comment

Rep power went from 5 to 1 for me. I suspect that with much more limited rep power that the idea of repping people will fade away to some extent anyway and be replaced purely by "likes" which are much easier to do.

This will ultimately make it much more difficult for people to climb the user status groups here, as getting 250 likes is a lot different than helping a few more senior members here with something and getting a +20 or +40 rep in big chunks.

It's my personal opinion [which is worth next to nothing I suppose] that the new user welcome forums are the most rampant abuse of the like/rep system. I've gotten about 25% of my rep in 3 days by simply going through there and posting the same message about 50 times to different new users.

While I do think there is definitely value in welcoming users (I felt great when 10 people replied to my first post there), I don't think it provides much value relative to actively participating in the rest of the forum, and you earn rep there about 10-20x as fast.

No offence but explaining how the system works and how rep is calculated will only encourage people to try to find ways to cheat the system and we already have enough problems in that department. Lets dispense with the questions of how its calculated and concentrate on the happy, warm fuzzy feeling you get when you receive some ;)
                    No offense taken at all, but just to explain my own personal interest, a huge portion of my life is breaking down behaviors into statistics and trying to create rational systems for behaviors. It's my nature to try to break down everything mathematically. I can't help it. To stop would be going against my nature, so instead I will keep such discussions of the rep system to myself ;)
                    Last edited by TechKwonDo; November 2, 2012, 06:33 PM.

Comment

I agree, but people who want to know will eventually know searching in the forum. All I did was writing everything in the same place.

However, now most of the people have low rep powers so as TechKwonDo says 'Likes' are very important now

which is kind of curious since we have been in at least 4 situations:

1) Years ago: When 'Like' = 1 rep points and user had huge amount of rep power
                      2) Months ago: 'Like' only mattered to see it in your user profile, didn't count for rep power. So it was mainly useless
                      3) Until yesterday: Like was not useless, but give something
                      4) Now: Like and rep very similar being rep a little more important

So we have passed from 'like' was useless to 'like' is very important

I dont mind closing this thread and condemn it to the eternal oblivion, but as I said everyone who knows how use the search function (not everyone does) will reach similar conclusion ;)

Originally posted by TankGirl View Post
                      Sorry, but I fail to see why everyone is so infatuated with knowing how rep is calculated. Does it really matter if you receive 1 extra rep point for every 2000 posts you make, or indeed if you happen to be a member for 20yrs? Why can't people be happy in the knowledge that their contributions are being recognised by other members and that they are being rewarded for their efforts in the form of points, why does it have to be broken down?

BTW, I really don't think the rep rings or whatever was because of this post as it was everything written on the forums (and I dont give any trick to break the system)
                      Last edited by Fdez87; November 2, 2012, 06:45 PM.

Comment

I never said that you gave any tricks, please do not take my comments as being directed at you personally. I simply stated that I fail to see the reason as to why people are infatuated with HOW rep is calculated. The HOW should not be important, its the WHY that should be, that way people can learn and continue to do what it is that is getting them repped and those experiences can be passed on to other members.

In regards to how the system works, or is calculated ~ revealing that info will only encourage people to find new ways to cheat the system (seen it done on many occasions) especially now that people's rep power has been reduced. As for likes versus rep, neither system is more important than the other, they both increase the amount of points that you have which in turn increases your overall rep power, by how much is unimportant the fact that someone has clicked one of those buttons is.
                        Last edited by TankGirl; November 2, 2012, 07:17 PM.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TankGirl View Post
                          I never said that you gave any tricks, please do not take my comments as being directed at you personally. I simply stated that I fail to see the reason as to why people are infatuated with HOW rep is calculated. The HOW should not be important, the WHY should be, that way people can learn and continue to be repped.
                          Yes, I know that you never said that, sorry for giving you this impression. Just to make it clear I think people dont get encouraged by reading this post, I think if they want to do it they dont need it.

I agree with what you say. This is just for curiosity (I think I even quoted you and other mods saying the importance of WHY you get the points)

Comment

lol its goona take a long time man lol to get rep here

Comment

Oddly, with the remodelling of rep to make things even tougher, I couldn't help but laugh at the certain delicious irony that the torrent-invites community has more rules, and is harder to access than any of the trackers for which people are here trying to gain invitations.

Comment

Working...
                              X