• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Free Windows Server 2008 R2

Once again, before I begin this tutorial is 100% mine except where noted

How to Get a Free
    Windows Server 2008 R2
    (aka free windows 7)

So if you are a college student (or student with a school email account), read on! If not GTFO (sorry offer is for students only).

There is this site called DreamSpark who are partners with Microsoft. They offer a variety of Beta and Final Microsoft Products for free to students with valid school email address. A quick list includes:

-Windows Server 2003, 2008, and 2008 R2
    -Visual Studio 2005, 2008, and 2010 Ultimate
    -Windows Embedded CE
    -Windows SQL Server 2008
    -Microsoft Virtual PC
    -many more!

Now, Windows Server 2008 R2 is technically the Server version of Windows 7. This means you get a "high security" version of Windows 7, with features you decide, for free. So to start:

1) If you have a Microsoft Live/Hotmail email account, skip to step 2, otherwise sign up for one HERE.

2) Now go to
    DreamSpark and follow the directions on signing up and getting verified.

3) After verifying yourself, you may download any content you want and get a free product key as well. REMEMBER YOU ONLY GET ONE. If you need to reactivate your product key, check with DreamSpark.

4) Download Windows Server 2008 R2 and get your product key.

5) Install as you would any Windows edition and activate your installation with your key.

6) Now you may realize, hey, this looks like crap. Well yes, it does. However, there is a fix!
    Convert your Windows Server 2008 R2 to a Workstation! - will guide you through converting the server installation into a usable desktop and still keep the lightweight and security the server side has to offer. (the website is not written by me, credit to them)

7) Enjoy your windows server/desktop for free!

~Anon123 - Feb 11, 2010
    Last edited by Anon123; February 11, 2010, 12:58 PM.

hey thanks for this, i had the first server 2008 from here....but didnt realise r2 was out, not actually using these server os's atm cos im running windows 7 but its always good to have it just in case its needed :)

Comment

Microsoft is the popular organization for giving all offices with respect to advancement, fabricating, supporting client questions through exposition composing administrations just as help for writing service online appropriation of items as well. The settle of organization is situated in Washington.

Comment

The image of the Eifel tower and the mosque in the glass is so much elegant and I just fall in love by viewing it. You should use the Website to write about this way of creating the art. Add some more image of your work over here.

Comment

Working...
        X