Hack WINDOWS to change the START button

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hack WINDOWS to change the START button

Backup your data before following the steps given below..If anything goes wrong(1 in a million) then I am not responsible:

1) Download "RESOURCE HACKER" and unzip it on your hard drive.

2) Edit "filelist.xml":
    2.a] Go to START -> run -> type "
    %systemroot%\system32\Restore" without the quotes, then a window will open up.
    2.b] If you don't see your "filelist.xml" in the window, then click in your window Tools->Folder Options->View and uncheck "Hide protected operating system files (recommend)" and click OK.
    2.c] Right click on
    filelist.xml and click properties. Uncheck where it says Read Only and then click OK.
    2.d] Now open the
    filelist.xml using notepad and search for "%windir%\system.ini" without quotes.
    2.e] Above %windir%\system.ini, add this a line "<REC>%systemroot%\explorer.exe</REC>" without quotes and SAVE it (not save as).

3) Delete the backup copy of
    Explorer.exe.
    3.a]
    Go to START -> run -> type "%systemroot%\system32\dllcache" In this directory, find and delete Explorer.exe. If windows pops up any message after deleting, then just click CANCEL and then YES.

4) Now run
    Run Resource Hacker and File-> Open and open Explorer.exe. The default path for it is C:\windows\explorer.exe, if you don't find it there then search for it.

5) Click on
    String Table -> 37 -> 1033. To the right, you should see the words "start". Change it to whatever you want and hit Compile Script button.

As of now, we have edited the explorer.exe and now we need to save it

6) Press CTRL-ALT-DEL and open Windows Task Manager. Under PROCESSES tab, find explorer.exe and click on END PROCESS button.

Now press ALT+TAB till
    Resource Hacker comes in to view. Now click on File -> Save as-> and overwrite Explorer.exe after finding it. Now again press ALT+TAB till Windows Task Manager comes in to view. Click on File -> New Task -> in the black type in Explorer.exe and press ENTER.

If you have followed all the steps correctly, then the changes must be in effect by the time you are reading this line. You can also customize your windows more using this method, so GO FIGURE

Ahh this reminds me of the good ol days when I used to use rsrc hacker on everything.
    This is for WinXP, would it would work the same in Vista or 7?
    The prophecies speak of a legendary being. With virtue, and wisdom beyond comprehension.
    Commanded by none, yet commended by the Gods. Possessing strength that would make Muhammad Ali cower.
    He is the embodiment of swag, with infinitely more charm and allure than any mere mortal. He is...
    The Exalted

The Greatest Tutorials Known To Man

Comment

Originally posted by konVILEuted View Post
      Ahh this reminds me of the good ol days when I used to use rsrc hacker on everything.
      This is for WinXP, would it would work the same in Vista or 7?
      follow this LINK

Comment

Working...
      X