Ubuntu Will Now Have Amazon Ads Pre-Installed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu Will Now Have Amazon Ads Pre-Installed

http://yro.slashdot.org/story/12/09/22/1319216/ubuntu-will-now-have-amazon-ads-pre-installed

An anonymous reader writes "Scheduled to be released next month, Ubuntu 12.10 now includes both Amazon ads in the user's dash and by default an Amazon store in the user's launcher. The reason for these 'features'? Affiliate revenue. Despite previous controversies with Banshee and Yahoo, Canonical is 'confident it will be an interesting and useful feature for our 12.10 users.' But are the 'users' becoming products?"

Update: 09/22 19:35 GMT by T : Reader bkerensa scoffs, calling the Amazon integration unobtrusive, and says objections to its inclusion in the OS should be ignored, "because in reality ads will not be found in 12.10 unless you are seeing them on a third party website you go to in a web browser."

Over 500 comments in Slashdot already...
    Thanks to Flobie for the VIP!

Will these ads be included in the bare bones server version as well?

Comment

The ads will be able to be stripped. Someone will eventually look at the source code and create a way to remove them. I'm just wondering if the ads will be pop-ups in the desktop or advertised in the software store. The release of 12.10 is right around the corner. We will know soon enough.

Comment

Tough to decide if this is good or not. Sure Cononical will make money, but will this necessarily translate into wider absorption of Linux? Whatever they put in ad wise will be simple enough to remove, but there's a principal at stake.
        "I have called this principle, by which each slight variation, if useful, is preserved, by the term of Natural Selection."
        - Charles Darwin

Comment

From the Ubuntu forumshere andhere, it looks like it means ads in in the user's dash and a default Amazon store in the launcher. Related to offline and online search results and shopping suggestions that include affiliate links... ?

Comment

Ridiculous....period. Glad I don't use Ubuntu but Debian.

Comment

Truth be told, I stopped using Ubuntu when the Unity GUI arrived in an update I performed... I know i could have changed out of it, but by that point i was done.

Comment

According to ZDNet , Mark Shuttleworth founder of Canonical (parent company of Ubuntu) will integrate Amazon search results in Unity. Meaning that an Amazon search app will be integrated to the search result box to generate additional search hits. Shuttleworth says that no ads will be involved at all what so ever (no pop-ups).

We're not the only ones wary of the deal that Shuttleworth made with Amazon. Others are saying that Ubuntu will now have adware. So its obvious that Shuttleworth is making this deal with Amazon for affiliate revenue to increase the financial support for Ubuntu (can't hate the guy for this though).

I don't really think that its going to be a big deal if the Amazon search results are isolated and kept in the Unity search box. Then again if you don't want the Amazon search app, you can delete from the app store or from terminal.

Comment

They need to earn from somewhere.

Comment

hey Im an ubuntu user when not on my windoze.. this is really sad news, i never thought this day would come :(
                    first utorrent now ubuntu, what's next.... whine whine

Comment

that site is actually a great site to buy things. I hate ads as much as the next guy, but who really gives a shit if there is a radio button to go to there. For return on investment info, the selling site will likely require usage data with regard to the button clicks. I am only speculating, because frankly, I don't know anything about the delivery of the advertisement in question. Guess I'll have to wait and see, and if I don't like it, I'll find a way to take it out. I had to alter my phasing because it actually gave hyperlinks to amaz.... the site

Comment

Originally posted by chippyroo View Post
                        ... I had to alter my phasing because it actually gave hyperlinks to amaz.... the site
                        THAT made me laugh :)

Comment

I'm sure a few created scripts will uninstall the Amazon influence...

Comment

Absolutely - there's already documentation on how to remove it.

sudo apt-get remove unity-lens-shopping

Comment

Working...
                            X