How To Boot A Windows 7 PC Up Faster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RimsOne View Post
    Well, I did a little searching myself on the internet and most people indicate that the systems uses all cores. Even though there is no direct source, that I found (although my research was no extensive), regarding how many processors Windows Vista and 7 use. .
    As others have already pointed out, this tip is a myth.
    Here's an article debunking it.

http://www.addictivetips.com/windows...-boot-up-time/

The option is actually there for debugging purposes.

"I pushed my soul in a deep dark hole and then I followed it in.
    ...To see what condition my condition was in."

Comment

Originally posted by bOOmf4ce
      Good tips! I'll set these things asap, thanks!
      bOOmf4ce,

I believe the point being made is that the setting referenced in that article has no effect on actual boot time. If you read carefully, it actually specifies if you change that setting it may cause your system to become unstable. I just wanted to be sure I pointed this out because your above post read as if you may try to alter your PC with those settings and I did not want you to be mislead.

Comment

Originally posted by Eknows View Post

Why didn't you include the entire post? You will see my conclusion, that it does not boot any faster. Also, I'm not a dumb ass, I know its for debugging --that is irrelevant. Just because something is for "debugging" doesn't mean it wouldn't (hypothetically) make it fun faster. Take your Android for example. In debugging mode you can toggle switches that will make your Android run faster. This is a fact, I have it on my phone enabled. Granted it waste faster batter life, but it runs faster .

Here is my entire post, following what you quoted me on:

And regardless of my previous comments, I will in conclusion lean towards Windows booting using all cores possible. I also think there can be many reasons why this feature is there. One being, and probably the most popular, is that Windows (even though it starts using all cores) will at times lower the number of processors used (source) due to errors or application requirements. And. Windows will at times not bring the number of cores back to full use, that's when this feature becomes handy. Although I do not think that is what the developers had in mind. The very literacy of the description would tell us that this is a "limiting" feature. I.e. "Limits the number of processors used on a multiprocessor system."

Does it make the boot time faster? I don't see that it would. If in deed Windows booted using one core, then yes! But that does not seem to be the case.
        Also "debugging" is so vague, please explain. Cause everybody is saying "Oh its for debugging" Ok, cool,.. debugging how?

Edit: Nevermind, I found it. http://support2.microsoft.com/defaul...b;en-us;833721
        Last edited by RimsOne; February 22, 2015, 11:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RimsOne View Post
          Why didn't you include the entire post?
          Also "debugging" is so vague, please explain. Cause everybody is saying "Oh its for debugging" Ok, cool,.. debugging how?
          I didn't think it was necessary to include your whole post. I was actually agreeing with you and simply giving a source.
          There is another link off that one I included that gives more detail about it.

http://withinwindows.com/2008/08/09/...with-msconfig/

It can help in troubleshooting cpu's

This switch sets the number of processors that Windows will run at startup. With this switch, you can force a multiprocessor system to use only the quantity of processors (number) that you specify. This switch can help you troubleshoot performance problems and defective CPUs.

Comment

I didn't think it was necessary to include your whole post. I was actually agreeing with you and simply giving a source.
            There is another link off that one I included that gives more detail about it.

http://withinwindows.com/2008/08/09/...with-msconfig/

It can help in troubleshooting cpu's

This switch sets the number of processors that Windows will run at startup. With this switch, you can force a multiprocessor system to use only the quantity of processors (number) that you specify. This switch can help you troubleshoot performance problems and defective CPUs.
            Oh my bad,.. cheerios mate! I thought you were insinuating I was a dumb ass... I just re-read your post, a little differently this time, and I don't know why I thought that. My apologies mate.

Comment

It's cool, man. I think it's the nature of internet forums. We often expect people to disagree when they reply. :D Your thinking Windows would use all the cpus to boot was spot on.

Comment

Too bad, would have been nice to speed it up (my PC boots in 5seconds anyway though)

Comment

Either buy an SSD or upgrade to W8.x/10?
                  sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  X