No announcement yet.

Speed up your Windows machine with an SSD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've had my SSD for about a week now and already I never want to go back to using a hard drive as my main drive. Everything runs so much faster now. This is only on SATA II though. The performance I'd get if my computer supported SATA III must be even more amazing.
    JOIN US ON IRC FOR CHATTING, FUN, GAMES & PRIZES!

How To Connect To IRC

IRC Word Game
    IRC Word Game Prizes

Comment

Originally posted by Poopderp View Post
      I've had my SSD for about a week now and already I never want to go back to using a hard drive as my main drive. Everything runs so much faster now. This is only on SATA II though. The performance I'd get if my computer supported SATA III must be even more amazing.
      SATA 3 is good, although I'm not sure you'd really notice a big difference in real terms?
      I guess external SSDs will be coming soon, when the price goes down, esp. via Thunderbolt ports?
      I still find the 7,200rpm WD HD to be pretty fast, and I think 10K speed drives are coming on USB-3?
      sigpic

Comment

I concur, you can still get plenty speed out off 7200 drives, SSDs really only provide decreased latency which gives u noticable benefits in boot and opening applications. If ur really looking for raw IO performance your best bet is to create a properly configured raid10 or 5 on a gigabit server. SSDs have different benefits that lies mainly at the OS layer and specific applications that really need it and can benefit from multicores and HT, not really specific to moving large files and what not. I think OSes should be more finely tuned to accomodate SSD drives, but this probably won't happen until prices start to outstrip moving drives and the IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by neozerog View Post
          I concur, you can still get plenty speed out off 7200 drives, SSDs really only provide decreased latency which gives u noticable benefits in boot and opening applications. If ur really looking for raw IO performance your best bet is to create a properly configured raid10 or 5 on a gigabit server. SSDs have different benefits that lies mainly at the OS layer and specific applications that really need it and can benefit from multicores and HT, not really specific to moving large files and what not. I think OSes should be more finely tuned to accomodate SSD drives, but this probably won't happen until prices start to outstrip moving drives and the IMO.
          Damn I wish I had a Gigabit server...
          Hell, a Megabit server would be nice!
          sigpic

Comment

lol, sorry to deceive you. I meant a local box with gigabit lan. Can be built for less than a couple hundred bucks. I use mine for video streaming/pbx(phone)/backup/etc quite useful for a tech junkie like me.

Comment

lol, sorry to deceive you. I meant a local box with gigabit lan. Can be built for less than a couple hundred bucks. I use mine for video streaming/pbx(phone)/backup/etc quite useful for a tech junkie like me.
              Yes the box is easy, I have lots of old laptops that linux would be great on, it's the lack (or cost) of high speed lan which is the (purse) killer...
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mrnewbie View Post
                Yes the box is easy, I have lots of old laptops that linux would be great on, it's the lack (or cost) of high speed lan which is the (purse) killer...
                nah, not all man. Gigabit switch ~$20, gigabit card less than $10, companies hype it up too much make it seem all great but it's been out forever. Had mine for forever but nowadays you get a motherboard it's probably already got gigabit ethernet, just gotta make sure one of ur switches or routers got it. If u move lots of data that $20 will save you plenty of time.

Comment

nah, not all man. Gigabit switch ~$20, gigabit card less than $10, companies hype it up too much make it seem all great but it's been out forever. Had mine for forever but nowadays you get a motherboard it's probably already got gigabit ethernet, just gotta make sure one of ur switches or routers got it. If u move lots of data that $20 will save you plenty of time.
                  Thanks I'll check it out...
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mrnewbie View Post
                    I use 2TB WD Green disks (USB-3) at a little over $100 each, although the 3TB models are coming down now...
                    In Norway, the cheapest 1TB external drive possible costs around $150 (read: USB1 drive), so 2TB USB3 drives cost $200+ here. :(
                    Maybe I'll just order one from USA or something, haha. :P

Comment

Originally posted by Xenogai View Post
                      In Norway, the cheapest 1TB external drive possible costs around $150 (read: USB1 drive), so 2TB USB3 drives cost $200+ here. :(
                      Maybe I'll just order one from USA or something, haha. :P
                      I can't do that in my country as there is 70-80% US Import Duty! :-(
                      sigpic

Comment

Sandisk have announced a new accelerator pack that includes a 32GB SSD drive for about $50, claiming to accelerate Windows 7 dramatically.
                        It's called ReadyCache and apart from the 32GB SSD, there's a 3.5-inch mounting bracket, a 6Gbit/s SATA cable and screws. The difference is that it comes with a proprietary caching software that caches frequently opened apps, data, etc.
                        Just released AFAIK, available through NewEgg:
                        http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820171667&Tpk=ReadyCache

Comment

Originally posted by stoma View Post
                          Sandisk have announced a new accelerator pack that includes a 32GB SSD drive for about $50, claiming to accelerate Windows 7 dramatically.
                          It's called ReadyCache and apart from the 32GB SSD, there's a 3.5-inch mounting bracket, a 6Gbit/s SATA cable and screws. The difference is that it comes with a proprietary caching software that caches frequently opened apps, data, etc.
                          Sounds good, but isn't 32GB too small for Windows, min. install is 20GB, then you have swop area, plus apps, etc... OK for Linux though.
                          Just looking at getting an Intel 520 120GB for Mackbook Pro, would be around $90.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by stoma View Post
                            I just heard about this today. It's definitely an interesting concept. Looks like its mainly targeted at desktop use though. Just my opinion, but I'd still prefer a solid state over this. Especially since I use a laptop.
                            JOIN US ON IRC FOR CHATTING, FUN, GAMES & PRIZES!

How To Connect To IRC

IRC Word Game
                            IRC Word Game Prizes

Comment

Have just ordered a $150 Smasung 830 128GB SATA III SSD for my new MBP, should be great...

For Mac info see my post here: http://www.torrent-invites.com/misce...ml#post1484061
                              Last edited by TheWickerMan; September 12, 2012, 03:50 PM. Reason: macbook pro
                              sigpic

Comment

W8 makes installing an SSD harder now with UEFI locking the bootloader in the BIOS. This means it is much harder to set AHCI in the BIOS, which is required by SSDs to enable TRIM.
                                Still I think once you install an SSD in W8 and re-run the WEI, it will know you have a boot SSD & set the Defrag option to run TRIM rather than defrag the disk (which would be bad).
                                Anyone have an experience of using SSDs under W8?
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X