Speed up your Windows machine with an SSD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Proleteriat View Post
    I have been wanting to buy a couple of ssd drives to replace two hdds. I'm going to wait till black friday to see if I can get a couple of OZCs at killer prices. Maxing out the ram and upgrading to an ssd is just the best upgrades to do under the hood.
    Yep, I have an OCZ, great drive, just get the largest you can afford.

---------- Post added at 10:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:32 AM ----------

Originally posted by MonsterKiller View Post
    Well, I will say this - the computer can tell a difference between SATA 2 and SATA 3, but the human will not - unless you're dealing with giant files like video or disk images, etc. I've got a pair of SSDs on my desktop with different benchmarks but it's flat-out impossible for me to notice - they are both SATA 3 but even comparing with SATA 2 we're talking incredibly small amounts of time that are for the most part would be invisible to you. I remember something Tom's Hardware did on this, maybe you've seen it, but maybe not

Upgrade Advice: Does Your Fast SSD Really Need SATA 6Gb/s?

If your laptop is your only machine and/or if you move a lot of huge stuff around, you might not bother. But if you have a desktop and a laptop (like me) I wouldn't hesitate to put one in the laptop (like me, and mine is 5 years old). Difference is gigantic.

Anyway, you know what's best for your needs, just tossing this out there. Good luck with it.
    When I got mine there was not much difference in price between Sata II & III, so might as well get the faster drive for future upgrade...
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Proleteriat View Post
      I have been wanting to buy a couple of ssd drives to replace two hdds. I'm going to wait till black friday to see if I can get a couple of OZCs at killer prices. Maxing out the ram and upgrading to an ssd is just the best upgrades to do under the hood.
      Also look out for the Kingston HyperX 3K and the older Crucial M4 models. I recently got a 240gb HyperX 3K for $170 on newegg
      http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...82E16820239046
      My Giveaways: 33%
      Don't buy Bose :001_tt2:

Comment

Originally posted by salty View Post
        the Kingston HyperX 3K and the older Crucial M4 models. I recently got a 240gb HyperX 3K for $170 on newegg
        Newegg.ca - Kingston HyperX 3K SH103S3/240G 2.5" 240GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) (Stand-Alone Drive)
        That's really good for 240GBs. Intel SSDs are overpriced. a 250GB is costs a tad more than $300. Kingston SSDs have actually gotten recent reviews.

Comment

I held out on this upgrade for a while but it was definitely worth it, if your setup has sata3, especially since prices are diving. First big notable differences were in bootup time and load times on games that load levels from your hd of course.

Comment

I can attest to the quality of the Kingston SSD. Mine works flawlessly. 128 GB V200+. Super fast drive and no errors at all! Supports TRIM for Windows 7.

Comment

I would also remind users to keep their firmware up to date, which is not easy on a PC, with mine I have to boot from a Linux CD & update the drive's firmware from here, but this is important.
              sigpic

Comment

I love my SSD and before I screwed with the registry (and I don't want to reinstall Windows and SFC is being stupid) I could boot into my desktop and load Google Chrome in 22 seconds. Now its about 45 seconds. Before on my system with a fast HDD it would take over two or three minutes and still occasionally it would hiccup. Another cool benefit is they don't have to spin back up like normal platter drives, so they are always ready to respond. Programs load instantly and seem to run much faster. Great upgrade, but pretty expensive to get great loading times...

Comment

Well you guys convinced me and I ordered one today. What do you all think of this one?
                  Amazon.com: SanDisk Extreme SSD 120 GB SATA 6.0 Gb-s2.5-Inch Solid State Drive SDSSDX-120G-G25: Computers & Accessories
                  JOIN US ON IRC FOR CHATTING, FUN, GAMES & PRIZES!

How To Connect To IRC

IRC Word Game
                  IRC Word Game Prizes

Comment

Originally posted by Poopderp View Post
                    Well you guys convinced me and I ordered one today. What do you all think of this one?
                    Amazon.com: SanDisk Extreme SSD 120 GB SATA 6.0 Gb-s2.5-Inch Solid State Drive SDSSDX-120G-G25: Computers & Accessories
                    Great choice, just like mine.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mrnewbie View Post
                      Great choice, just like mine.
                      I really hope I made the right choice, but just in case, Amazon has an amazing return policy.
                      JOIN US ON IRC FOR CHATTING, FUN, GAMES & PRIZES!

How To Connect To IRC

IRC Word Game
                      IRC Word Game Prizes

Comment

Newegg is the place I buy all of my computer parts. Buy everything else from Amazon as I have their Prime membership.

(Edit) 120GB is great. I got a 64GB since it was dirt cheap on a Black Friday deal and I am always having to go through and delete crud because I keep running out of room.

(Another Edit) If you have not already bought your SSD, there is a 240GB OCZ Agility 3 on Newegg for 139.99$. Great deal.
                        Last edited by GTX460; August 23, 2012, 06:04 PM.

Comment

Im using an 120GB Vertex 3 SSD Disk i really love the speed using SSD.

Thinking about purchase a new one to use exclusive with After Effects and Premiere.

Comment

if you are in the US i would really recommend to check this forum as daily deals of many items including ssds are posted there, community is active and will give input on what they think, Im currently waiting for a 200+gb drive either Intel,Samsung or kingston hyperdrive to hit lowest ever before i bite for my second
                            Hot Deals - Slickdeals.net

Comment

I have an Intel 520 64 GB and it is enough for OS and the software I use usually (more than half is empty). Coming from a hdd, where OS and soft occupy about 50 GB, I thought 64 GB will not be sufficient. Fortunately, I found on the internet a guide for ssd optimization (don't know if external links are allowed, but who is interested can find it on a simple search). Unlike hdds, the ssd does not need a lot of services that are enabled by default and occupy a lot of space, so they sould be disabled. You will get A LOT of space back after this.

Comment

i just built a new desktop last month, I was thinking about getting one of these for just the OS. Ive heard nothing but good about them.

Comment

Working...
                                X