Speed up your Windows machine with an SSD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speed up your Windows machine with an SSD

Hi, I see lots of threads here about ways to improve performance on Windows PCs, but apart from the obvious method of using a 64 bit OS (W7) and upping your RAM to 8GB, the best speed improvement I have had was by replacing my hard disk with an SSD. I threw out the CD/DVD drive on my laptop (as I use an external Bluray burner), moved the original 500GB (7,200rpm) HD to this bay, cloned the disk & replaced it wit ha 128B SSD. The OS & all apps are stored here, and all the data is on the other disk. SSds are quiet, draw little power and generate little heat. The machine boots in less than a minute, programs start instantly, things just work. Best couple of hundred bucks I ever spent on a PC, my only regret is not getting a bigger one.
    Anyone else use SSDs?
    sigpic

I personally don't have an SSD, but working in IT, I have worked on a couple computers that had one installed. they really are FAST. The speed certainly made my job easier
    JOIN US ON IRC FOR CHATTING, FUN, GAMES & PRIZES!

How To Connect To IRC

IRC Word Game
    IRC Word Game Prizes

Comment

I have a 128gb SSD, with my OS and apps on it. It really does make things go so much faster. I liked it so much, I bought another 128gb to put some games on it. It makes the loading screens between levels almost instant.

So I have 2 SSDs for OS/Apps/Games, and a 1TB hdd for storage. Works out great.

Comment

Now that you can purchase SSD's for cheaper than a $1 per GB. SSD's are great addition to anyone's computer.

Comment

I have been wanting to buy a couple of ssd drives to replace two hdds. I'm going to wait till black friday to see if I can get a couple of OZCs at killer prices. Maxing out the ram and upgrading to an ssd is just the best upgrades to do under the hood.

Comment

Great suggestions! SSD's are so awesome, especially if you can also put a regular HDD in their for all the torrents.
            sigpic

Thanks to SiniuS.for my current sig and and avatar!

My
            Reviews

BMTorrents (BMT) Review || CherryKiss (CK) Review

My 10% Give Aways
            ||

Comment

Once you use an SSD for your OS and apps you'll wonder how you ever got by with a regular HDD. I agree with you it might be the single best improvement for a system.

Comment

indeed its the best choice to improve your PC

Comment

its a good upgrade for a pc

Comment

You're all making me want to buy one! And destroy my wallet at the same time...

Edit: My laptop doesn't support SATA III
                    Last edited by Poopderp; August 18, 2012, 01:23 AM.

How To Connect To IRC

IRC Word Game
                    IRC Word Game Prizes

Comment

Originally posted by Poopderp View Post
                      You're all making me want to buy one! And destroy my wallet at the same time...

Edit: My laptop doesn't support SATA III

SATA 3 can run on SATA 2 boards, PD. They're backwards compatible. You just won't get SATA 3 speeds. Get a SATA 3 and that way you can take advantage of it whenever you upgrade.

Comment

Originally posted by MonsterKiller View Post
                        SATA 3 can run on SATA 2 boards, PD. They're backwards compatible. You just won't get SATA 3 speeds. Get a SATA 3 and that way you can take advantage of it whenever you upgrade.
                        I know, but I want the SATA III speeds. I dont plan on upgrading for at least a year so I just dont think it's worth it with my current laptop.

How To Connect To IRC

IRC Word Game
                        IRC Word Game Prizes

Comment

I'm able to watch a 2hr movie in just an hour with an SSD. That's how fast they are.

"I pushed my soul in a deep dark hole and then I followed it in.
                          ...To see what condition my condition was in."

Comment

Originally posted by Eknows View Post
                            I'm able to watch a 2hr movie in just an hour with an SSD. That's how fast they are.
                            Eknows earlier it was different, make up for ssding mind! :P

How To Connect To IRC

IRC Word Game
                            IRC Word Game Prizes

Comment

Well, I will say this - the computer can tell a difference between SATA 2 and SATA 3, but the human will not - unless you're dealing with giant files like video or disk images, etc. I've got a pair of SSDs on my desktop with different benchmarks but it's flat-out impossible for me to notice - they are both SATA 3 but even comparing with SATA 2 we're talking incredibly small amounts of time that are for the most part would be invisible to you. I remember something Tom's Hardware did on this, maybe you've seen it, but maybe not

Upgrade Advice: Does Your Fast SSD Really Need SATA 6Gb/s?

If your laptop is your only machine and/or if you move a lot of huge stuff around, you might not bother. But if you have a desktop and a laptop (like me) I wouldn't hesitate to put one in the laptop (like me, and mine is 5 years old). Difference is gigantic.

Anyway, you know what's best for your needs, just tossing this out there. Good luck with it.

Comment

Working...
                              X