Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speed Up Your Bandwidth By 20% Windows uses 20% of your bandwidth

Windows uses 20% of your bandwidth Here's how to Get it back

A nice little tweak for XP. Microsoft reserve 20% of your available bandwidth for their own purposes (suspect for updates and interrogating your machine etc..)

Here's how to get it back:

Click Start-->Run-->type "gpedit.msc" without the "

This opens the group policy editor. Then go to:

Local Computer Policy-->Computer Configuration-->Administrative Templates-->Network-->QOS Packet Scheduler-->Limit Reservable Bandwidth

Double click on Limit Reservable bandwidth. It will say it is not configured, but the truth is under the 'Explain' tab :

"By default, the Packet Scheduler limits the system to 20 percent of the bandwidth of a connection, but you can use this setting to override the default."

So the trick is to ENABLE reservable bandwidth, then set it to ZERO.

This will allow the system to reserve nothing, rather than the default 20%.

I have tested on XP Pro, and 2000
    other o/s not tested.

Yet another reason why Microsoft cannot be trusted...... Say you have a 10 mbit connection, you would get at most 8mbit out of it so they would ensure you don't get what you pay for.

Is it in windows 7 as well?

Syntax
    Patience is not a gift given to you.
    It is cultivated by yourself.
    Enjoy these:
    Invictus | Rise
    GA's
    10% | 33% | 55% | VIP

Comment

This is pretty obviously a myth. If you actually read "By default, the Packet Scheduler limits the system to 20 percent of the bandwidth of a connection, but you can use this setting to override the default", it's saying that the system is limited to 20% of the total bandwidth, not that it's reserved for this purpose.

See
      Debunking Common Windows Performance Tweaking Myths for confirmation.

Comment

The same settings can be apllied in win7 aswell, although as far as I could tell it had no effect, and as user Coal linked the disabling of the bandwith limit can be dangerous to some applications.

Comment

very important tutorial.. i always wonder where does some of my bandwidth goes...i noticed it in windows task manager.. thank you for this...

sigpic

"Any human who can defeat Superman through sheer cleverness deserves to be feared and admired." - Jesse Schedeen IGN

PM me when its important, and not before....

Comment

Originally posted by Vicar View Post
            very important tutorial.. i always wonder where does some of my bandwidth goes...i noticed it in windows task manager.. thank you for this...
            See my post. This doesn't free up any bandwidth.

Comment

Guys, just compare your speedtests with your contracted ISP bandwidth, if it matches there's no 20% reservation...
              The Seedbox From Scratch Script

I'm not a native english speaker and my writing and (even) understanding of the language is far, far away from fluent, so, if you, native english speaker or not, have enough linguistic proficiency and found something in my words which you are absolutely certain that is a grammar or spell error, please, feel free correct me by PM or even expose it (so people learn from my errors), just don't go (too) off topic and don't make me more unsure than I already am.

Comment

Originally posted by Coal View Post
                This is pretty obviously a myth. If you actually read "By default, the Packet Scheduler limits the system to 20 percent of the bandwidth of a connection, but you can use this setting to override the default", it's saying that the system is limited to 20% of the total bandwidth, not that it's reserved for this purpose.

See
                Debunking Common Windows Performance Tweaking Myths for confirmation.
                true you! i just read your post. there is a lot of good tips to free up ram and increase the speed, clean the registry etc. thank you coal..

sigpic

"Any human who can defeat Superman through sheer cleverness deserves to be feared and admired." - Jesse Schedeen IGN

PM me when its important, and not before....

Comment

Originally posted by Vicar View Post
                  true you! i just read your post. there is a lot of good tips to free up ram and increase the speed, clean the registry etc. thank you coal..
                  I'm gonna go ahead and assume you're a troll. If not, you need to learn the definition of 'myth' or just how to read entire sentences.
                  Last edited by Coal; August 7, 2012, 01:19 PM. Reason: blah phone keyboard punctuation

Comment

Thanks for the tutorial, i read Microsoft's comment also but i'm not sure if i believe them or not.
                    better to try it out yourselves. in any case you can go back to the original settings.
                    sigpic

​A Special Thanks to SiniuS

Comment

Originally posted by Yjana View Post
                      Thanks for the tutorial, i read Microsoft's comment also but i'm not sure if i believe them or not.
                      better to try it out yourselves. in any case you can go back to the original settings.
                      So you're happy to believe that a dubious looking tip circulating random internet forums could in fact be true, but don't trust the word of the sole creator of the OS that the tip relates to, or the logical reasons for this tip doing nothing good (available via my link and many more via google).

Comment

I'm gonna go ahead and assume you're a troll. If not, you need to learn the definition of 'myth' or just how to read entire sentences.
                        He's trying to prove that there is no such thing as myths and, as a matter of fact, those are very good tips.
                        The Seedbox From Scratch Script

I'm not a native english speaker and my writing and (even) understanding of the language is far, far away from fluent, so, if you, native english speaker or not, have enough linguistic proficiency and found something in my words which you are absolutely certain that is a grammar or spell error, please, feel free correct me by PM or even expose it (so people learn from my errors), just don't go (too) off topic and don't make me more unsure than I already am.

Comment

So you're happy to believe that a dubious looking tip circulating random internet forums could in fact be true, but don't trust the word of the sole creator of the OS that the tip relates to, or the logical reasons for this tip doing nothing good (available via my link and many more via google).
                          All i'm saying that i'll check it out my self regardless if it's a myth or not, true or not, effective or harmful.
                          You can't just believe someone just because he said so, even if it is the great MICROSOFT.
                          sigpic

​A Special Thanks to SiniuS

Comment

Originally posted by Yjana View Post
                            You can't just believe someone just because he said so,
                            This is exactly my point. You can't believe that this tip does anything at all just because a random forum poster said so.

Wanting to see for yourself is fair enough, but Microsoft in this instance is definitely the more reputable source, so isn't it logical to assume they're right and the forum post is wrong, and not the other way around? And because they're saying this tip should be harmful, it might be better in this instance, when faced with such information, to not try it for yourself.

It'd be like if NASA told you that if your flew your rocket into the sun, you'd die, but a guy in a pub told you you'd become immortal if you did it, so you decided to try it for yourself.

Comment

Ya i can feel some difference.But not a very large difference.Thanks for the tutorial
                              Last edited by dark__side; August 7, 2012, 01:58 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X