Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by zxcontra View Post
    CCleaner is indeed a great program.
    How ever the days of using tweaks and defraging to gain big performance boosts are over.
    I severelydoubt any tweak would make a noticeable difference in 99.9% of pcs running a modern OS.
    Yeah I agree with that. I feel that modern operating systems are capable of keeping themselves running smoothly as long as you don't download random junk

Comment

Removing visual effects of Windows will do wonders. My Windows looks like Win 95 but it runs soooo fast ;)

Comment

HOW TO SPEED UP WINDOWS

i realize the thread is a few years old but OP really skimmed through the virusscan point he made and i've had 'full system suites' bring computers to their knees. Namely: i purchased McAfee (retail) last year when it was on sale for 3 PC's for 10 bucks. The installer must have added 12 .exe programs and every single action i'd take was significantly slower during the 5 hours before i uninstalled it. Norton was less noticeable, but still had an effect on performance and that is one program that's HARD to get rid of (they make uninstallers you can only run from a linux rescue disk to get rid of the garbage symantic leaves behind.
        i have my favorites but im here to sell you on nothing but NOT keeping mcafee or norton on your computer if trying to troubleshoot poor performance.

to the rest of the thread: ccleaner is a great way to reclaim space on your drive(s) and empty through all types of garbage at once. i don't know how much speed you'll actually gain by cleaning through the registry as there is soooooo much in there either way, but it definitely gets rid of the little artifacts left behind from programs you installed at some point (say - filetypes associated to a program that just isn't there - you get prompted right away when you try to open one of them instead of an hourglass) and minor niceties like that. i did want to say though that after using ccleaner once upon a time, i was unable to access gpedit.msc and ended up having to reinstall windows - so i DO backup the registry periodically now, and think it's a good idea whenever there are 100+ 'changes' to make and the 'fix' is to delete all the lines

Comment

Thanks, I used CCleaner for years & didn't know about the CCenchancer

Comment

For me part 1 & 4..

GuD Tutorial... Thanks..

Comment

I like to say for part 1 that if you're on Windows 8/8.1 that you might not want to have everything checked for the registry but instead only have Applications, Application Paths, Obsolete Software and Run At Startup checked as having everything checked can cause Windows 8/8.1 to completely stop working. Now it's possible that the latest update could have fixed the problem but I'm not taking any chances after being burned so much with everything checked for Windows 8/8.1 systems.

Also, about the defrag, only useful for non-SSD drives. For SSD drives you should have the trim option. On Windows 7 it sometimes won't pick up the SSD correctly thus won't give you the option to use Trim but instead do a normal defrag, DO NOT ALLOW IT DO! Doing so will cause the drive to be used faster. Again, the normal "defrag" method is to be only use by platter drives and not SSD. If your OS does not pick up your SSD as a SSD then turn off defrag for that drive and use a specialty software design to send the trim command to SSDs.

edit:

Also, in part 5.2, you said the following:

2. Again, in the My Computer Properties, go to Advanced -> Performance -> Settings -> Advanced -> Virtual Memory -> Change. Change the initial and maximum fields to approximately one and a half times your RAM size. For example, I would put 6144 MB if I had 4 GB of RAM. (Note: I strongly recommend against making this any more than 2 times your RAM because it can lead to problems with your hard drive).
              I wouldn't do that UNLESS you meet minimal requirement of RAM for the OS. For an example, Windows 7 and 8 requires 1GB of RAM for the 32-bit version while the 64-bit version requires 2GB of RAM. Only meeting the minimal requirements of the RAM for the OS isn't going to be enough. With 4GB of RAM in the system you can generally get away with a page file (aka Virtual Memory) size of around 2GB for extra storage, if you have a lot more RAM then 4GB (around 6 or more GB) then I would actually recommend that you set your page file around 1 to 2GB max for performance and space reason. Think of it like this, if you have 16GB of RAM, do you really want to use 24 to 32 GB of your own hard drive space (that windows will reserve up front) for when your RAM is all use up (which is very unlikely if you have 16GB of RAM)? I think not.

And while we're on the subject of virtual memory, I also recommend that, if you have another hard drive, is to move the page file off the OS drive and onto a different drive, again it's for performance reasons.
              Last edited by simonsoft; September 6, 2014, 08:52 PM.

Comment

i've been a computer techy for a a while now, and i can say, using ccleaning, defragging the hdd and an antivirus are the best ways

Comment

Antivirus helps alot :D

Comment

Ccleaner defnitely the best im using. For those who still fraustrated over the result, get a SSD :D Thats pretty much solve your issue.

Comment

Originally posted by JavaApplet View Post
                      Ccleaner defnitely the best im using. For those who still fraustrated over the result, get a SSD :D Thats pretty much solve your issue.
                      I agree.
                      SSD is a sure way to speed your system up.
                      Ccleaner is a very useful utility to keep out useless things and antivirus plays an important role in keeping your system secure and fast.

Comment

I had forgotten about CCleaner, but it's definitely a great tool to tidy things up.

Comment

Windows are slow by definition.
                          But putting an ssd might change some things.

Comment

Ccleaner is pretty useful. Same for the other products from that company.

Comment

I love ccleaner, i run the program one time per week

Comment

Working...
                              X