Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A very old trick but works still

Comment

It requires physical access to the machine, but still will definitely give it a try.....

Comment

Its a decent trick but will work only on Home PC's

Comment

Just inherited 2 computers from a dead lady & will try this b4 i reformat and start from ground zero. Just interested in the actual specs of the machines b4 installing the os, so this trick could be useful.

Comment

Better off using something like Kon-Boot to get in via non-destructive methods (i.e., permanently changing a password). When I have computers on my bench that the owner has forgotten their password, I use Kon-Boot to log in as an Administrator account, create a new admin user named Temp, reboot without Kon-Boot, use the Temp account to reset the password of the admin account, log out and log in as the intended user and delete Temp. No worrying about SAM tables getting corrupted and the whole thing becoming unusable, and this method works on PCs in a corporate domain provided that you have unplugged the network connection. It does not work on Windows Server when the server is running as a DC.

Also, in many environments Administrator is disabled by default.

Comment

If you have physical access to a computer you can use a live cd called ophcrack which get's you the account passwords without changing them. It does this by using rainbow tables to crack the hashed passwords.
              It wont work with very complex passwords, but with most ones it will.

Other than that, there's a program which can be used to gain the hashed password without physical access to the machine, which can be used remotely, through injecting a dll into the lsass.exe process. I know for a fact it works for xp, but don't know regarding other OSs.

Comment

A lack of security with windows.
                It seems so easy

Comment

Working...
                X