Your Guide to Adblocking and How to Block Ads Effectively

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your Guide to Adblocking and How to Block Ads Effectively

Ads, oh ads. The things that contain malware, they're ghastly to look at. Let it be on a torrent site or those annoying texts on Google, well all don't favor them.

Here's my most recommended adblock addon for your browser, this goes for Safari/Chrome/Firefox: https://chrismatic.io/ublock/
    It is also the most lightweight there is, but I find if you do not want an addon on your browser you can just use a Host file trick.

HostsMan is a program that can edit your hosts file and can add websites to block: http://www.abelhadigital.com/hostsman
    Once you've installed HostsMan you can add sources as it's quite obvious once you have the program open. I recommend MVPS Hosts.
    A problem I've had with editing the hosts file is blocking ads but not blocking the javascript error of not reaching the domain so I use an adblocker with the hosts file so I don't load the ads and don't show the error of not finding the domain name.
    With a hosts file you have to be careful and I'm not responsible if you encounter any problems, so please be aware things can go wrong with the hosts file.
    If any websites do not work when you have the hosts file on you can just disable it from the program and visit the website as it might have been blocked.

If you want mobile adblocking here are the best apps I could find.
    iOS:
    AdBlock for iOS: https://itunes.apple.com/de/app/adbl...4578?l=en&mt=8
    Weblock: https://itunes.apple.com/in/app/webl...558818638?mt=8
    Android:
    Adblock Plus for Firefox (You have to have Firefox on Android to install it): https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/and.../adblock-plus/
    Adblock Plus for Android: https://adblockplus.org/en/android

There are also different adblockers for iOS and Android, but you'll need to root or jailbreak your device. I do not recommend it though as it does have harmful effects to your device.

Also, be aware Adblock Plus and Adblock has been a bit shady so I'd avoid them if you can.

I hope you enjoyed this tutorial.
    Last edited by HeavensRedeemer; April 11, 2015, 03:20 AM. Reason: Version 2

Nice tip :)

Now if you want to block ads on your Android smartphone, follow these steps:

1) You need to root your device (I know that for some this is a nightmare. If you're already rooted, skip this step)

2) Download and install AdAway (from here)

3) Run the app and give it root access when it asks

4) tap "download files and apply ad block"

5) YOUR ANDROID IS AD FREE!!

Cheers :)

Comment

I'll keep that in mind, it will be very useful in the future!

Comment

yes android needs to be rooted to block adds

Comment

Originally posted by HeavensRedeemer View Post
          I'll keep that in mind, it will be very useful in the future!
          In case you have any questions or need help with rooting, let me know :) I'll be glad to guide through!

Originally posted by kospite View Post
          yes android needs to be rooted to block adds
          Rooting will improve the overall android experience. I would never use my Android Smartphone without root access. :)

Comment

I would not recommend the hosts method, unless your doing network-wide ad blocking from a router.

Which you may want to mention, I'm sure enough of us here run alternate firmwares on our routers to be of interest.

Anyways, good thread!
            "Our virtues and our failings are inseparable, like force and matter. When they separate, man is no more." - Nikola Tesla

Comment

I find some of these so-called ad-blockers don't work!
              sigpic

Comment

I would NOT recommend to use AdBlock Plus. They let advertisement firms pay them so their content is put on a white list and they sell your data.

Actually, I'd find it better if no one was using ad blockers altogether, because ads are one of the few ways things can remain free on the web.
                My Giveaways My Requests
                None None

|
                |
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|
                |
                |

I bet you're the kind of guy that
                would fuck a person in the ass
                and not even have the godda*n
                common courtesy to give him a
                reach around. I'll be watching you.

'Gunnery Sergeant Hartman
                '
                |
                |
                |~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                |
                |

Thanks, gblaze

Comment

Adblock Plus is a community driven project. And actually you don't need to pay to have your ads listed, they just have to be "acceptable"

To touch onto your second paragraph, the reason why the project whitelists "acceptable" advertising is so sites that play along will still get revenue from people using adblock plus. You can opt out of course.
                  "Our virtues and our failings are inseparable, like force and matter. When they separate, man is no more." - Nikola Tesla

Comment

Originally posted by ECH3LON View Post
                    Adblock Plus is a community driven project. And actually you don't need to pay to have your ads listed, they just have to be "acceptable"

To touch onto your second paragraph, the reason why the project whitelists "acceptable" advertising is so sites that play along will still get revenue from people using adblock plus. You can opt out of course.
                    Seems like we have different information on the same subject.
                    Anyways, I actually use an ad blocking program called AdBlock Edge. But I don't have it turned on by default. I only use it on sites that I feel have annoying ads that get in my face.

Thanks for the heads up I'll have a look at it, don't want to bash anyone wrongfully.
                    My Giveaways My Requests
                    None None

|
                    |
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|
                    |
                    |

I bet you're the kind of guy that
                    would fuck a person in the ass
                    and not even have the godda*n
                    common courtesy to give him a
                    reach around. I'll be watching you.

'Gunnery Sergeant Hartman
                    '
                    |
                    |
                    |~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    |
                    |

Thanks, gblaze

Comment

I would not recommend the hosts method, unless your doing network-wide ad blocking from a router.

Which you may want to mention, I'm sure enough of us here run alternate firmwares on our routers to be of interest.

Anyways, good thread!
                      I don't really see how changing the hosts file with a backup can really do any harm as long as you can replace it with the old one. It's faster and more effective than using an adblock in your browser. It should be fine to use.

Comment

I don't really see how changing the hosts file with a backup can really do any harm as long as you can replace it with the old one. It's faster and more effective than using an adblock in your browser. It should be fine to use.
                        Nothing is wrong with the hosts method, its just a pain to keep updating, and if you automate the process you risk updating to a compromised file later on (this has actually happened when a popular site was compromised).

What I'm saying is, its not a method for noobs or lazy people, but if you do wan't to do it, do it to your router for network wide ad blocking.

Comment

Nothing is wrong with the hosts method, its just a pain to keep updating, and if you automate the process you risk updating to a compromised file later on (this has actually happened when a popular site was compromised).

What I'm saying is, its not a method for noobs or lazy people, but if you do wan't to do it, do it to your router for network wide ad blocking.
                          Well, if there was a hosts file adblock that auto updates and has a secure website, I think that would be perfect. But so far, I don't think there's something like it.
                          I suppose we can only work with what we've got and that's updating your hosts file manually everytime or risking a few things.

I understand where you're going with that.

Comment

The other thing which is a pain in the arse when you're using a hosts file solution is that you can't easily temporarily disable it, e.g. for a cashback site to work, and to disable specific URLs is annoying and involves a reboot. Using AdAway on my Android devices I've run into problems accessing some sites, e.g. eBay. IMO it's really not worth the hassle to do this on a PC when Adblock Plus exists. Another great thing about ABP is that you can use it to easily and quickly block an ad which wasn't picked up by the filters.

Comment

Sometimes the simplest method is the best method!

Comment

Working...
                              X