Keep Your Plex Data in Sync when Switching Servers or reinstalling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keep Your Plex Data in Sync when Switching Servers or reinstalling

One of the issues I have had over time using plex has been losing all of my viewing data when I would move my Plex install to a new server, or have to reinstall it for some reason. while there is a way to maintain it all through the new install, it is not so easy and doesn't always work. For example, recently I switched to a new seedbox, and moved everything over with a fresh Plex install. I was able to quickly restore all of my watched and unwatched status because I had the track.tv plugin set up. So here is how to do it:

This tutorial assumes are on a seedbox, and it is on an Ubuntu 14.04 or greater server. If it is not, you should be able to get the idea and adapt for your own setup.

1) Get a free Trak.tv account:
    https://trakt.tv/auth/join

2) Open a terminal instance and SSH into your server with an account that has sudo privileges.

3) Stop the Plex service.
    Code:
    sudo systemctl stop plexmediaserver.service
    4) Download and unzip the plugin:
    Code:
    wget https://github.com/trakt/Plex-Trakt-Scrobbler/archive/master.zip -O Plex-Trakt-Scrobbler.zip
    unzip Plex-Trakt-Scrobbler.zip

5) Copy the plugin to the Plex plugins folder.

Code:
    cp -r Plex-Trakt-Scrobbler-*/Trakttv.bundle "/var/lib/plexmediaserver/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/Plug-ins/"
    6) Restart the Plex service:
    Code:
    sudo systemctl start plexmediaserver.service
    7) Configure the Plugin
    Open that url in a new browser window, log into Trakt, and copy the PIN provided and paste it into the Authentication PIN field. Go through the other settings as needed, then save.

8) Push your Watched / Unwatched status to Trakt.tv
    Click the Trakt plugin, then the Sync icon. You will find an option to Push all to trakt.tv. Once you do this, the plugin will keep your status in sync. If you ever need to install a Plex server elsewhere, install Trakt.tv on the new system and choose the “pull” option as soon as you get your media added, and everything should be back to normal.

ENJOY!!!

Haha, you don't wanna get out of sync even for a second, do you.

Comment

You figured that out, didn't you? Seriously though... I have lost so much data in the past switching servers. This made my life so much easier.

Comment

Working...
      X