How to run uTorrent in Portable Mode and Multiple Instances of it

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to run uTorrent in Portable Mode and Multiple Instances of it

Hello T-I Members. Today, I will tell you how to run uTorrent in portable mode.
    This mode has 2 main features which are,
    1. You can run utorrent from any usb, external hdd or portable drive with your desired settings.
    2. You can reinstall windows and your settings and torrents will be saved in the condition you left them.
    3. (OPTIONAL) You can run multiple instances of utorrent at the same time and each can have its own WebUI, if any (on different ports).

In this guide, I will be describing the method to
    1. Download your desired version of utorrent and make it portable.
    2. Use your already installed utorrent and make it portable.

Without any further ado, let's get started.

REQUIREMENTS:
    • I will use "uTorrent 2.2.1 Build 25302" for this tutorial. You can grab it here or get any version you want.

That's pretty much it. :D

METHOD 1 - Part I: (Download a specific version and make it portable)
    • Download any version of utorrent that suits you. In my case, its uTorrent 2.2.1 Build 25302.
    • Copy the downloaded .EXE file to any location on your pc. I will put it in "D:\myutorrent".
    • Create a settings.dat file by saving a blank file using, Notepad > Save As > All Files > "settings.dat".

Now, you can run the .EXE file and it will run as a portable application and it will save all settings/torrent files in your current directory ("D:\myutorrent" in my case).

NOTE: In order to run multiple instances of utorrent, continue reading.

METHOD 1 - Part II: (Run multiple instances of the portable utorrent)
    I assume that you've completed Part I and set up the files accordingly. Let's run multiple instances of utorrents.
    • Create a shortcut of the downloaded .EXE file.
    • Right Click the newly created shortcut and open its Properties.
    • Go to "Shortcut" tab (selected automatically).
    • In the "target" box, add " /RECOVER" at the end of the path so it becomes like this, "D:\myutorrent\utorrent_2.2.1_build_25302.exe /RECOVER" and press Apply > Ok.

Now, you have a complete setup of a standalone utorrent which is portable and which will run a separate instance of utorrent.

Similarly, you can create as many instances of utorrent as you want in different locations.

Remember: Change ports of all instances so you can become connectable in trackers.

METHOD 2: (Make your existing installed version of utorrent portable)
    If you have installed utorrent and want to make that portable then follow this guide.
    • Go to "run" by pressing "Windows + R".
    • Type "%appdata%" and press Enter. A window of the current user's Roaming AppData will open.
    • Look for a folder named "uTorrent".
    • Copy it to any location on your pc.
    • To make it portable or run multiple instances of it, follow the METHOD 1 accordingly.

I myself run 2 instances of utorrent side by side by using different icons for each one.

I hope this guide will be helpful to many users as it has been more than helpful to me. :)
    Enjoy multiple uTorrents. :D
    Last edited by The_Newbie; December 9, 2014, 12:43 PM.

First of all, great tutorial, it's easy to understand and I think everyone should be able to follow those steps.

My question: What would it be useful for to have different instances of uTorrent running at the same time?
    My Giveaways My Requests
    None None

|
    |
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|
    |
    |

I bet you're the kind of guy that
    would fuck a person in the ass
    and not even have the godda*n
    common courtesy to give him a
    reach around. I'll be watching you.

'Gunnery Sergeant Hartman
    '
    |
    |
    |~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    |
    |

Thanks, gblaze

Comment

Only reason I can think of running 2 different instances of uTorrent is for 1 of them being configured a cercent way to work with a tracker while the other is a general client.

Comment

[MENTION=274841]ThaJay[/MENTION]. I like to keep my private trackers separate from public ones. So I use 2 instances. Furthermore, I also like to keep easy to get trackers separate from hard to get ones so I use 2 instances for private trackers and bittorrent for public.
        That's just my preference. Maybe there are others like me. :)

Comment

Originally posted by The_Newbie View Post
          @ThaJay . I like to keep my private trackers separate from public ones. So I use 2 instances. Furthermore, I also like to keep easy to get trackers separate from hard to get ones so I use 2 instances for private trackers and bittorrent for public.
          That's just my preference. Maybe there are others like me. :)
          Wouldn't labeling the torrents accordingly do the job just as good? I still don't see it, actually.
          My Giveaways My Requests
          None None

|
          |
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|
          |
          |

I bet you're the kind of guy that
          would fuck a person in the ass
          and not even have the godda*n
          common courtesy to give him a
          reach around. I'll be watching you.

'Gunnery Sergeant Hartman
          '
          |
          |
          |~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          |
          |

Thanks, gblaze

Comment

Originally posted by ThaJay View Post
            Wouldn't labeling the torrents accordingly do the job just as good? I still don't see it, actually.
            In the private trackers' utorrent, I have dht disabled and in public one, it is on.

Sure, labeling helps but I like some trackers separate from the others.
            Like I said, its just my preference.

Comment

Working...
            X