How To Delete Hit'n'Runs from IPT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How To Delete Hit'n'Runs from IPT

If you're on the tracker IPTorrents, you may have seen a message saying something like "N Torrents Require Seeding", or maybe a message about how you have some Hit'n'Runs, which is when you download a torrent but don't seed it for long enough or upload enough. Luckily, IPTorrents offers a way to 'zap' these hit'n'runs without you worrying about spending ages trying to seed them back to no avail.

go to the seeding-required page
    http://on.iptorrents.com/seeding_required.php

You'll see that you can choose to zap the torrent via two methods:
    Method1: 50 Bonus points
    Method2: decrease upload statistics by the missing amount.

With method 2, if you've downloaded a 3GB file for example and only uploaded 1GB, you can choose to decrease your upload by 2GB in order to remove the hit'n'run from your record.

So, which should you do? Spend bonus points or lose buffer? This is what you're given the choice to do. Well, here, I'll make the choice easy for you and show you how I did it:

What we need to do is figure out how much 50 bonus points is worth in Upload Credit, and this calculation is exceedingly easy. If you click on the 'bonus points' link near the top of the page, near your statistics, it will bring you to this page. What you see there is that you can trade 1000 bonus points for 10GB upload credit.

1000 bonus points = 10GB of buffer
    << convert GB to MB >>
    1000 bonus points = 10240MB of buffer
    << divide both sides by 10 >>
    100 bonus points = 1024MB of buffer
    << divide both sides by 2 >>
    50 bonus points = 512MB of buffer

So, back to the Seeding Required page -- you can see that each hit'n'run has a removal price of either the data missing or 50 bonus points. Obviously you should choose whichever one has the lower value. So, given the math I just did above, if the data price is above 512MB, you should pay 50 bonus points, and if it's below, you should pay by giving up some of your buffer.

Before 'zapping' the hit'n'run though, make sure you remove the torrent from utorrent. If you don't, you will have spent your zap points/buffer for nothing.

Last edited by TKoL; December 8, 2012, 06:33 PM.

Nice post!

However, I think another factor to take into account is the time it actually takes to get those 50 points in the first place. My general rule of thumb is that I will only use those points on any torrent that has >=10GB of upload remaining and I can't achieve the ratio for whatever reason (e.g. no leechers after a month).

If you end up using 50 points for any files over 512MB then you will start to see them disappear very quickly.

Comment

good tut.
      but i do the third option, keep seeding.
      since the HnR policy went into effect, i have had zero problems, not HnR's. i dont use a seedbox. and i have'nt changed how i do things on IPT.
      I just keep seeding, and it takes care of itself.
      special thanks to extJSDB for the VIP. special thanks to SiniuS for the avatar.
      sigpic
      "Alea iacta est." - The die is cast

"Veni, vidi, vici!" - I came, I saw, I conquered.

caesar....

Comment

Sometimes torrents are just dead. As Xel said above, if you can seed it to get 1:1, do it, but if you can't, you just gotta zap it. I'm not condoning hit-and-runs, but sometimes they happen, and sometmimes the best way to deal with a hnr on a dead torrent is to zap it. This just shows you how.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatGazoo
          Nice post sure, but if your always hitting and running and using these features to get out of hit & run warning, i honestly wouldn't want you apart of my invite trees.
          Ive had ppl apply to my giveaways with ipt proofs with hit & run warnings and i dont even consider them...

In order for trackers to work they need ppl to seed what they take, This is a simple concept.
          There's a couple of ways to look at it. First, you cannot download if you haven't already built up your buffer/ratio. Second, if you continue to seed, those who are trying to build up a buffer have a harder time doing so.

Unfortunately with IPT, since they've done this hit and run system, it seems that less and less people are downloading torrents that are older than a couple of hours old. Their system is causing the troubles with the older torrents they were hoping to avoid.

While I do believe in sharing there is a third point: Introducing a hit and run system is in my opinion simply wrong. It's a kick to the nuts to those who had spent the time and resources building up a decent buffer all to have that eliminated.

Comment

It is true sometimes there appears to be no leechers for whatever you've downloaded.

HOWEVER, you'd be surprised what happens when you have a little patience and keep seeding. I've had things that I was certain I'd have to use points for and then all of the sudden someone shows up and all of a sudden I've hit the 1:1 ratio.

As others have said it's the seeding of what you leech that makes this thing work. Sharing is caring.

Comment

Yes, I certainly don't disagree that one should seed as much as possible. You're not going to find me disagreeing with that.

But I won't disagree that sometimes it's appropriate to zap an HnR as well -- as Wonder said, what's the point of 'buffer' if not to allow yourself a bit of HnR anyway? -- and sometimes torrents are just so well-seeded that you're not actually increasing speeds by continuing to seed yourself. A torrent that gets 1 download every 2 months hardly needs more than 10 seeders, so you're not really taking away that much from the community if you just decide to abandon the torrent and zap the HnR at that point imo.

Comment

Originally posted by TKoL View Post
                Yes, I certainly don't disagree that one should seed as much as possible. You're not going to find me disagreeing with that.

But I won't disagree that sometimes it's appropriate to zap an HnR as well -- as Wonder said, what's the point of 'buffer' if not to allow yourself a bit of HnR anyway? -- and sometimes torrents are just so well-seeded that you're not actually increasing speeds by continuing to seed yourself. A torrent that gets 1 download every 2 months hardly needs more than 10 seeders, so you're not really taking away that much from the community if you just decide to abandon the torrent and zap the HnR at that point imo.
                I agree. And there are going to be those times where you just have to use the Zap. And after all, that's why they have it.

I also am glad you did the math for this. I think most people who abuse the zap will end up getting banned from the site anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Wonder56901 View Post
                  There's a couple of ways to look at it. First, you cannot download if you haven't already built up your buffer/ratio. Second, if you continue to seed, those who are trying to build up a buffer have a harder time doing so.

Unfortunately with IPT, since they've done this hit and run system, it seems that less and less people are downloading torrents that are older than a couple of hours old. Their system is causing the troubles with the older torrents they were hoping to avoid.

While I do believe in sharing there is a third point: Introducing a hit and run system is in my opinion simply wrong. It's a kick to the nuts to those who had spent the time and resources building up a decent buffer all to have that eliminated.
                  The way I see it is that you have to give a little to get a little. I download some torrents simply to help buffer my ratio. Such as freeleech for which there is a ton on IPT. Or I download stuff the moment I see it pop up. I seed everything for as long as I can (until the HDD dies basically) so that slowly builds up my ratio.

Once my buffer is good enough I download all the older torrents I want. I just had to give a little to get a little. It may not be the easiest but I'm willing to wait a little. Though I definitely see your point, and I know it is not the same case for everyone but it works well for me and that's just my viewpoint.

Comment

I do the same. And here's a trick for you guys. Click on Freeleech torrents in category filter. Descend or Ascend the torrent by size. No matter if you descend or ascend, you'll get the biggest torrent in IPT in first of the list. Go to last page of the torrents by clicking last page. There you have smallest torrents in IPT with freeleech. Grab those torrents as much as you can (even 100 - 200 torrents). Download them completely and let them seed till bleed. You'll accumulate pretty much bonus points in no time. If you want to remove those seeding torrents, then fine. Remove them all. IPT will tell you that you have same number of hit and runs as you delete the torrents. Delete hit and runs with your upload credit as the sizes of the torrents are pretty low. I've gained thousand of bonus points by doing this. :))

Comment

At IPT, bonus points are capped at 10 torrents being seeded.

Comment

zap with bonus point for large size torrents good point.
                        We buy things we don't need, with money we don't have, to impress people we don't like.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatGazoo
                          Nice post sure, but if your always hitting and running and using these features to get out of hit & run warning, i honestly wouldn't want you apart of my invite trees.
                          Ive had ppl apply to my giveaways with ipt proofs with hit & run warnings and i dont even consider them...

In order for trackers to work they need ppl to seed what they take, This is a simple concept.
                          I don't think this thread was intended to say "hey everyone, if you've got the points or buffer available then just ZAP all your torrents once they've downloaded". It is supposed to be for those who do seed and need to remove a file for a legitimate reason because the file has yet to achieve the required ratio.

I've built up a good upload buffer in less than 2 months of being a member of IPT. So i do like to think I seed as much as i possibly can. At the same time, because i do share so much I think that if needed, I should be allowed to use my buffer or points to remove a torrent that just isn't getting any hits after a long period of time.

However, I do completely agree that if people are taking advantage of the HnR system and continually zapping everything then it is not good for the community in the slightest.

Comment

I just seed. If it is a torrent I don't feel like seeding, I just spend the 50 points. Points are easy to collect and I have around 10,000 points. Not to sound "Bonus point rich" (lol) but 50 pts isn't much.

Comment

doesnt seem to me like a hard thing to do but to seed the torrents you download back to a 1:1. I have downloaded some really old or saturated torrents and havent had to zap a torrent other for any reason other than my HDD died. Also if you seed a torrent for 30 days it no longer appears on your HnR list when you decide to stop it. At least it has for me, I believe in giving back what you get or at least doing your best.

Comment

Working...
                              X