X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The_Newbie
    replied
    Very Nice.
    Knowing how to do it manually can come in handy.
    I used to do this with "link shell extension". Never imagined that it could be done manually too. Thanks for the tutorial. :)

Leave a comment:

• SuperN3rd
    replied
    Originally posted by BananaPyjamas View Post
    I certainly get this part, and using different chunk sizes is a sure fire way of making 2 or more torrents of the same material unique if I'm the uploader of all the torrents.

What I don't get is - won't this invalidate the torrent file in a cross-seeding situation?

It would be easier to explain with an example of what I mean

Cross seeding scenario:

Tracker A
    Torrent A - chunk size 16Mb
    : I download the torrent and data and seed this one

Tracker B
    Torrent B - chunk size 16Mb : identical files to Tracker A/Torrent A
    : I download the torrent only.
    : I try to add this to uTorrent - OOPS, "The torrent you are trying to add is already in the list of torrents"

--> If I then recreate Torrent B using 8Mb chunks and try to cross-seed that to Tracker B, won't Tracker B and anyone trying to download from me fail because the chunk size and hash are different?
    Yes, you are correct. I should have specified that you can only change the chunk size if you are the uploader. As a downloader, you could change the chunk size; however, the torrent would get rejected by the tracker as it would be an unrecognized torrent.

I do not know of a way to do what you are trying to do without using a separate client. If anyone else knows of something, please chime in.

Leave a comment:

• BananaPyjamas
    replied
    Originally posted by SuperN3rd View Post
    The two torrents need to have a different hash.
    I certainly get this part, and using different chunk sizes is a sure fire way of making 2 or more torrents of the same material unique if I'm the uploader of all the torrents.

What I don't get is - won't this invalidate the torrent file in a cross-seeding situation?

It would be easier to explain with an example of what I mean

Cross seeding scenario:

Tracker A
    Torrent A - chunk size 16Mb
    : I download the torrent and data and seed this one

Tracker B
    Torrent B - chunk size 16Mb : identical files to Tracker A/Torrent A
    : I download the torrent only.
    : I try to add this to uTorrent - OOPS, "The torrent you are trying to add is already in the list of torrents"

--> If I then recreate Torrent B using 8Mb chunks and try to cross-seed that to Tracker B, won't Tracker B and anyone trying to download from me fail because the chunk size and hash are different?

Leave a comment:

• SuperN3rd
    replied
    Originally posted by BananaPyjamas View Post
    Fantastic information here, thank you. I have been using cross-seeding for a while and have come across the problem mentioned here on some torrents without finding an entirely satisfactory solution.

On my home connection, it is easy - run more than one torrent client, and load "incompatible" torrents into each. Problem solved there.

Not so easy on my seedbox, which I don't have shell access to, only ruTorrent WebGUI.

Hence, my interest in the phrase "modifying the chunk size". I would like more information about this.
    Does this simply mean recreating the torrent using the existing passcoded announce URL and seeding that?

i.e. My Awesome Movie.torrent - chunk size 8Mb - http://sometracker/123456789
    -> recreate this with a chunk size of 16Mb and an announce URL of http://sometracker/123456789
    That's correct. The two torrents need to have a different hash. By changing the chunk size you are changing the resulting hash. This will then cause your torrent client to see them as two different torrents, instead of trying to merge them together.

Leave a comment:

• BananaPyjamas
    replied
    Originally posted by ihatespam View Post
    It is very important to never add two trackers announce URLs to the same torrent, as that will result in ratio cheating. You have to modify the chunk size of the torrent to generate a unique hash (specially for torrent clients like rTorrent which will only let you load 1 torrent per hash).
    Originally posted by SuperN3rd View Post
    REMEMBER - If when you go to add the torrent it says that it already exists and asks if you want to reload it, say "no". You will not be able to cross-seed this torrent*

* It's still possible too; however, it is much more difficult. It is safer to simply not add the torrent. If you add it and it is adding it to an existing one, then you risk ratio-cheating.
    Fantastic information here, thank you. I have been using cross-seeding for a while and have come across the problem mentioned here on some torrents without finding an entirely satisfactory solution.

On my home connection, it is easy - run more than one torrent client, and load "incompatible" torrents into each. Problem solved there.

Not so easy on my seedbox, which I don't have shell access to, only ruTorrent WebGUI.

Hence, my interest in the phrase "modifying the chunk size". I would like more information about this.
    Does this simply mean recreating the torrent using the existing passcoded announce URL and seeding that?

i.e. My Awesome Movie.torrent - chunk size 8Mb - http://sometracker/123456789
    -> recreate this with a chunk size of 16Mb and an announce URL of http://sometracker/123456789

Leave a comment:

• rav1
    replied
    Originally posted by Giba22 View Post
    SO I have to have two(same file, but I mean not "merged") files separated showing on uTorrent client right ? Not both files on same hash
    Thanks man, you are always of great help around here,

Hugs and Kisses.
    Exactly and glad that i can be of any help. This is what the community is about :)

Leave a comment:

• Giba22
    replied
    Originally posted by rav1 View Post
    As long as you are using different .torrent files in your client there won't be any overlapping and hence you are safe and within the rules.
    SO I have to have two(same file, but I mean not "merged") files separated showing on uTorrent client right ? Not both files on same hash
    Thanks man, you are always of great help around here,

Hugs and Kisses.

Leave a comment:

• rav1
    replied
    Originally posted by Giba22 View Post
    Very good Job, but I have a question, if you do this correctly, seed same torrent for two different trackers, can I get identified and banned about this ? Thanks guys.

Hugs and Kisses
    As long as you are using different .torrent files in your client there won't be any overlapping and hence you are safe and within the rules.

Leave a comment:

• Giba22
    replied
    Very good Job, but I have a question, if you do this correctly, seed same torrent for two different trackers, can I get identified and banned about this ? Thanks guys.

Hugs and Kisses

Leave a comment:

• SuperN3rd
    replied
    Originally posted by griff843 View Post
    can someone further explain this? Path to New link is the location the original file is stored and the second part is the new folder we create?
    You have it reversed. The first path is where you want your link to be (a location that does not exist, yet). The second path is to the directory that already exists (your downloaded torrent).

Originally posted by BurgerSteakk View Post
    Will you get banned if you use this on IPT?
    No. Cross-seeding will not get you banned on any site, so long as you only have one tracker in the announce URL.

Leave a comment:

• BurgerSteakk
    replied
    Will you get banned if you use this on IPT?

Leave a comment:

• griff843
    replied
    Originally posted by strobus View Post
    Thanks for the guide SuperN3rd, well laid out. I'd like to add if its a torrent with a directory you need this code.
    Code:
     mklink /J "C:\Path to New Link" "C:\Path to Real Files"
    can someone further explain this? Path to New link is the location the original file is stored and the second part is the new folder we create?

Leave a comment:

• griff843
    replied
    confused
    Last edited by griff843; June 29, 2014, 11:24 PM.

Leave a comment:

• SuperN3rd
    replied
    Originally posted by jagger032 View Post
    Great tutorial, but is it possible to update this tutorial?
    Pictures are gone ....
    Thanks for letting me know the images were broken. I just remade them. It should be fixed now.

Leave a comment:

• Coolguy1208
    replied
    Thanks for this tutorial,

Originally posted by ihatespam View Post
    Just an FYI, http://www.torrent-invites.com/bitto...-torrents.html and http://www.torrent-invites.com/bitto...ed-safely.html it is very important to never add two trackers announce URLs to the same torrent, as that will result in ratio cheating. You have to modify the chunk size of the torrent to generate a unique hash (specially for torrent clients like rTorrent which will only let you load 1 torrent per hash).
    Thanks for the links.I did this many times but from now onwards I will stop adding trackers to same torrent.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X