How to cross-seed: The right way

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks again SuperN3rd!

I totally agree about seeding from home and the waiting game on older torrents, but it's a great service to the community to keep the older torrents alive. I just think the cross seeding is especially rewarding on a seedbox with it's space constraints, at home it is much easier and much cheaper to increase HDD space.

Relocation seems to be a no go with rTorrent, so this proposed batch symlinking of all rar files via SSH really seems to be the only way to handle these nasty nfo/sfvs appropriatly. Needless to say I will look for a seedbox with minimum SSH access next time (actually I have one at whatbox and could test there a bit, but moving from the 1.5 TB 10 GBit seed.st box without SSH to one with 200 GB will be a bit tough, probably a completely dedicated box is the only real good solution).

Boost your ratio cross seeding scene releases on a seedbox - check my beginner friendly tutorial!

Comment

Thanks for the Tut!

I remember crossing seeding a while back, it was much easier. I remember all it took was adding the .torrent file to uTorrent and waalaa. uTorrent would do a check and auto cross-seed. Of course there was a little bit more to it but I don't ever recall having to hard link any files or directories. I believe I was using uTorrent 1.8 or so.

Anyway, I appreciate tut and the additional inputs.

Cheers

Comment

A great tutorial indeed. I'm sure it has helped and will help a lot of users

Comment

nice tutorial, but i think that these kind of tutorials should be in video format, its easier to explain and easier to learn :)

Comment

This is great. I always though it was strange to have the same thing twice on one Hardrive.

Comment

Ha! I did it and it worked!!!! Thanks SuperN3rd!
              One addition to the instructions for those of us who blindly follow directions but no not exactly what it all means....
              If your files are not on "C:" (for example if you are saving to your external Q drive, you must point the command prompt to your Q: drive.
              Just type Q: at the beginning prompt and you'll be there.
              Thanks again, Great tutorial.

Comment

This is a worthy post.

Comment

Excellent thread, thanks... I will try to do it in the weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by pyroscope View Post
                    No you don't when following this, since the way shown here changes the "name" of the torrent, which is part of the info dict and thus already changes the info hash.

BTW, a way easier way for consistent and safe X-seeding is just adding an additional key to the info dict, like some trackers do (those who urge you to redownload your own uploaded torrents). Do that locally, and you're golden on any tracker and w/o wasting a single thought on it.
                    Could you explain this a bit more detail please.

---------- Post added at 10:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:18 AM ----------

Originally posted by GirlWonder View Post
                    Ha! I did it and it worked!!!! Thanks SuperN3rd!
                    One addition to the instructions for those of us who blindly follow directions but no not exactly what it all means....
                    If your files are not on "C:" (for example if you are saving to your external Q drive, you must point the command prompt to your Q: drive.
                    Just type Q: at the beginning prompt and you'll be there.
                    Thanks again, Great tutorial.
                    In this same general vein I have another clarification for the tutorial....
                    The first time I tried to work through this procedure (okay... the first several times I tried to work through this tutorial ) the files was in a folder and I kept messing up.
                    Just to clarify how I finally got it to work:

mklinkn /H "C:\CrossSeed\name of file" "C:\uTor download\folder containing file\name of file"

I'm sure most everybody here knows this but when you are really a tech noobie, it's amazing how long it can take to get simple stuff like this right!

Comment

Originally posted by GirlWonder View Post
                      Could you explain this a bit more detail please.

---------- Post added at 10:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:18 AM ----------

In this same general vein I have another clarification for the tutorial....
                      The first time I tried to work through this procedure (okay... the first several times I tried to work through this tutorial ) the files was in a folder and I kept messing up.
                      Just to clarify how I finally got it to work:

mklinkn /H "C:\CrossSeed\name of file" "C:\uTor download\folder containing file\name of file"

I'm sure most everybody here knows this but when you are really a tech noobie, it's amazing how long it can take to get simple stuff like this right!
                      I'm glad you got it to work!

I assume you mean (you had an extra letter in the command name):
                      Code:
                      mklink /H "C:\CrossSeed\name of file" "C:\uTor download\folder containing file\name of file"
                      With regards to what [MENTION=119938]pyroscope[/MENTION] said:
                      He / She is referring to editing the .torrent file. Read the section titled "File structure" here. Basically think of the torrent file's contents as an expandable list with many subsections. While this is technically not correct, it is easier to understand than for me to explain what a dictionary is. The info dictionary would be a list that is a subsection of the main torrent. Inside the info dictionary would be many other lists (dictionaries) and keys. To add a key you would need to physically make a change to the .torrent file. This can be done using a program called BEncode Editor.

I personally do not recommend that you go around messing with the .torrent file. It's not something that a "tech noobie" should be doing To put things simply, when you go to cross-seed a torrent, if it informs you that the torrent already exists and then asks you if you would like to add this tracker to the tracker list, say NO. It's much simpler to avoid cross-seeding those torrents than going through the extra steps of making them cross-seedable.

Comment

[QUOTE=SuperN3rd;1682920
                        I personally do not recommend that you go around messing with the .torrent file. It's not something that a "tech noobie" should be doing To put things simply, when you go to cross-seed a torrent, if it informs you that the torrent already exists and then asks you if you would like to add this tracker to the tracker list, say NO. It's much simpler to avoid cross-seeding those torrents than going through the extra steps of making them cross-seedable.[/QUOTE]

As is usually the case with your most helpful suggestions.... I am going to do just as you suggest and not mess with the .torrent file. My head is already overflowing with new information! (much of it thanks to you!)

Comment

Great tutorial! Thanks for the refresher on hard / symbolic linking and especially how they benefit cross-seeding very helpful.

Comment

Thanks for the great tutorial!

Comment

Didn't knew rtorrent can let you cross seed so easily... Thanks for the great tutorial!

Comment

when I register on TL I need to cross seed ansd when I got buffer of 50 GB than I start to DL things

Comment

Working...
                                X