No announcement yet.

How to cross-seed: The right way

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It gets weirder by the way, when I did it the second time, direct to the file it wasn't working, so I submitted the post.
    Then I thought, let me just try typing it in instead of pasting from notepad, so I did, (using the d/j/ thing) only I miss-typed D:\Users\Public to D:\Users\Pulic (Missing a b) then I got an error that said, cannot create a file if one already exists... only such a file didn't exist because I'd miss-typed it, but I didn't know that at the time, I was like hmmm... looking over the thing I saw my mistake fixed it, got the same error (cannot create...) so then I deleted the Men in Black 3 CS (new)folder (I'd made it because I didn't understand the instructions) and it worked! but I was very confused...

Comment

Originally posted by Vaccine View Post
      It gets weirder by the way, when I did it the second time, direct to the file it wasn't working, so I submitted the post.
      Then I thought, let me just try typing it in instead of pasting from notepad, so I did, (using the d/j/ thing) only I miss-typed D:\Users\Public to D:\Users\Pulic (Missing a b) then I got an error that said, cannot create a file if one already exists... only such a file didn't exist because I'd miss-typed it, but I didn't know that at the time, I was like hmmm... looking over the thing I saw my mistake fixed it, got the same error (cannot create...) so then I deleted the Men in Black 3 CS (new)folder (I'd made it because I didn't understand the instructions) and it worked! but I was very confused...
      haha, well at least you got it all figured out! It can be confusing, especially when you just copy and paste something off the internet. As a side note, for all command prompt commands you can add the /? flag to display the help regarding the command, so for this command typing
      Code:
      mklink /?
      will display the MS help contents about the command. Maybe that will help you out for the future!

Comment

Just an FYI, http://www.torrent-invites.com/bitto...-torrents.html and http://www.torrent-invites.com/bitto...ed-safely.html it is very important to never add two trackers announce URLs to the same torrent, as that will result in ratio cheating. You have to modify the chunk size of the torrent to generate a unique hash (specially for torrent clients like rTorrent which will only let you load 1 torrent per hash).
        Last edited by ihatespam; September 12, 2012, 08:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ihatespam View Post
          Just an FYI, http://www.torrent-invites.com/bitto...-torrents.html and http://www.torrent-invites.com/bitto...ed-safely.html it is very important to never add two trackers announce URLs to the same torrent, as that will result in ratio cheating. You have to modify the chunk size of the torrent to generate a unique hash (specially for torrent clients like rTorrent which will only let you load 1 torrent per hash).
          You're absolutely right. Thanks for adding the links to this thread. I probably should have mentioned something about the concerns of ratio-cheating..

Comment

Thank you for your tutorial. I've never used hardlink before. Will it cost extra disk space?
            Last edited by scorpiox; September 13, 2012, 10:00 AM.

Comment

This is very helpful, i'm going to try it tonight. Good tutorial, thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by scorpiox View Post
                Thank you for your tutorial. I've never used hardlink before. Will it cost extra disk space?
                No, that's one of the main benefits of using hardlinks - you can have multiple files all linked to one and all can be different names. They do however have to be on the same physical partition.

Comment

Originally posted by ihatespam View Post
                  You have to modify the chunk size of the torrent to generate a unique hash (specially for torrent clients like rTorrent which will only let you load 1 torrent per hash).
                  No you don't when following this, since the way shown here changes the "name" of the torrent, which is part of the info dict and thus already changes the info hash.

BTW, a way easier way for consistent and safe X-seeding is just adding an additional key to the info dict, like some trackers do (those who urge you to redownload your own uploaded torrents). Do that locally, and you're golden on any tracker and w/o wasting a single thought on it.

Comment

I used this tutorial to cross seed on some trackers and it worked like a charm Great tutorial mate, congratulations!

Comment

Originally posted by pyroscope View Post
                      No you don't when following this, since the way shown here changes the "name" of the torrent, which is part of the info dict and thus already changes the info hash.

BTW, a way easier way for consistent and safe X-seeding is just adding an additional key to the info dict, like some trackers do (those who urge you to redownload your own uploaded torrents). Do that locally, and you're golden on any tracker and w/o wasting a single thought on it.
                      do private torrents have a hidden secret key which identifies to the tracker what the torrent id is? I thought if you modified the torrent hash, the tracker would have no way of knowing which torrent it was? The announce URLs are non-unique for the trackers Ive looked at (meaning, they look to only point to my user account). Is there a good guide on how private tracker authentication works??

Comment

I had a look at the torrents using the https://sites.google.com/site/ultima...bencode-editor and there is no unique information there. There is a main section (root) dictionary with several keys (such as tracker urls, creation date, creation program) and a sub-dictionary called info. This info dictionary stores the chunksize + chunk list + download name.

The hash that you see in programs such as rTorrent / uTorrent is a hash on the info dictionary only. rTorrent doesnt seem willing to fix its bugs, as it relies on the (unique) hash as a method of sorting / storing torrents internally. So i believe any method to change the hash of the torrent to cross-seed using rTorrent will result in ratio cheating (no different then simply adding your private tracker URL alongside a random torrent on another tracker). rTorrent will not actively use two private trackers if added to a single torrent anyways, its a bug in its implementation. (will try to find the reference URL later).

Comment

Originally posted by SuperN3rd View Post
                          No, that's one of the main benefits of using hardlinks - you can have multiple files all linked to one and all can be different names. They do however have to be on the same physical partition.
                          Hello, is there any softwares can do batch hardlink? I'm not familiar with .bat command.

Comment

Originally posted by scorpiox View Post
                            Hello, is there any softwares can do batch hardlink? I'm not familiar with .bat command.
                            Sure. There are a number of programs floating around. I haven't personally tried any of them, but after a quick search online this looks like a simple application that will do the job.

Comment

Nice guide, thanks a lot - it's a pity that people put personal codes at the end of some torrent files, makes cross-seeding harder.
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SuperN3rd View Post
                                Sure. There are a number of programs floating around. I haven't personally tried any of them, but after a quick search online this looks like a simple application that will do the job.
                                Thank you.
                                Here's the problem I encountered.
                                Some 0days are packed in splitted rar files, r00, r01...
                                I came across this, two torrents, one from Funfile, the other form digitalhive, Batman.The.Dark.Knight.Returns.Part.1.2012.1080p.B luRay.x264-UNTOUCHABLES, 93 rar files with the same file name, but only r00 and the last one are different according to uTorrent force-recheck. So I need to hardlink 91 times to do cross-seeding, or is there a better solution? It is troublesome. And when I started to download the parts that are different, I found more rar files are renamed to .ut which means they need modification. I guess it has sonething to do with file blocks in ut. How to avoid this?

Comment

Working...
                                X