• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wayneo99
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Roquefort
    replied
    I usually avoid recording anything with Audacity, partly because it picks up a lot of noise along with the recording, and mainly because it's really tedious. This might be an option for someone to get a media file if there is no other way, but I believe you could get media off from practically any web-page with free online tools. Quality will be sub-par or average at best, but if you really need something, I guess anything goes.

Another thing I like to do is just copy the page's URL to JDownloader which then gives me a list of anything downloadable on that page, and I select the media file from there. Doesn't work all the time though, and quality is absolute shit sometimes :P

I've tried this a few times, and it doesn't always work, but you could view the page source, get the direct stream url and then save it using VLC, winamp, or JD. And that I believe requires another tutorial all on its own.

Leave a comment:

• Coal
    replied
    Originally posted by wayneo99 View Post
    i never said id upload this music anywhere or that i ever plan to. lossy-lossy implies that your downgrading the lossy format more. if you record a 320 mp3 and export at 320 from my understanding thats not lossy-lossy. an thats fine YOU like lossless encodes but the fact remains i never claimed this method gives you lossless audio. if i did then youd have a reason to complain. and if it offends you then simply dont use the method or dont read the thread... this tut does what it claims to do and doesnt claim anything else. my intention of this post was to help ppl get music they have no other way of getting purely for them selfs and if they dont like the quality they can delete it. in my experience using regular head phones or playing it in my crappy car its the same quality as when i listen to it on the computer.
    You're incorrect. This will produce a lossy-lossy transcode, even if the source is 320, which most of the time it won't be. 320 to 320 is still a transcode.

Yes, you never mentioned lossless audio in the OP, but neither did I. Lossless audio is a completely different thing to audio which is not lossy-lossy transcoded. We weren't ever discussing lossless audio. Yes, you never mentioned that this wouldn't produce a lossy-lossy transcode in the OP. That was the whole reason I posted in the thread. I don't see why pointing this out caused such a problem.

Leave a comment:

• wayneo99
    replied
    Originally posted by Coal View Post
    So go ahead and upload one of these encodes (or any lossy-lossy transcode) to waffles and see where it gets you. Might wanna take a look at the uploading rules first.

I realise that you posted this tutorial with good intentions, but as someone who appreciates good music rips and encodes, it offends me quite a lot, and I couldn't just let it sit here. I apologise if my posts come across as trolling or spam, that wasn't my intention.
    i never said id upload this music anywhere or that i ever plan to. lossy-lossy implies that your downgrading the lossy format more. if you record a 320 mp3 and export at 320 from my understanding thats not lossy-lossy. an thats fine YOU like lossless encodes but the fact remains i never claimed this method gives you lossless audio. if i did then youd have a reason to complain. and if it offends you then simply dont use the method or dont read the thread... this tut does what it claims to do and doesnt claim anything else. my intention of this post was to help ppl get music they have no other way of getting purely for them selfs and if they dont like the quality they can delete it. in my experience using regular head phones or playing it in my crappy car its the same quality as when i listen to it on the computer.

Leave a comment:

• Coal
    replied
    and im fine with waffles. i dont really understand your angle here. from what i can tell your just spamming my thread for no other reason then trolling on a thread thats aimed to help people. and so far your the only one who seems to be so against it. if your not going to input something useful then respectfully stay off my threads.
    So go ahead and upload one of these encodes (or any lossy-lossy transcode) to waffles and see where it gets you. Might wanna take a look at the uploading rules first.

I realise that you posted this tutorial with good intentions, but as someone who appreciates good music rips and encodes, it offends me quite a lot, and I couldn't just let it sit here. I apologise if my posts come across as trolling or spam, that wasn't my intention.

Leave a comment:

• wayneo99
    replied
    Congrats (commiserations?), you just failed your what.CD interview.

:)
    and im fine with waffles. i dont really understand your angle here. from what i can tell your just spamming my thread for no other reason then trolling on a thread thats aimed to help people. and so far your the only one who seems to be so against it. if your not going to input something useful then respectfully stay off my threads.

Leave a comment:

• Coal
    replied
    if you transcode an mp3 to mp3 itll sound like crap when the original is an mp3? well that just makes for a whole lotta nonsense.
    Congrats (commiserations?), you just failed your what.CD interview.

Leave a comment:

• wayneo99
    replied
    There's so many reasons not to do this. Bad source quality, and the fact that you're effectively transcoding a lossy encode when you do this, mean that it's gonna sound crap. Blank space at the start and end of the track which is not meant to be there is a huge no. Sounds from the tutorial like you'll probably fuck up the dynamics of the track too. And then there's the fact that you have to record and tag every single track manually.

And you've posted this on a site which helps people to get on private trackers..

;)
    Bad source quality? well now that depends on the source doesnt it.... youtubes compression algorithm is shit. soundcloud and spotify is a lot less harsh leaving you with the same quality as mp3. compare a song recording with audacity to normal mp3 and look at the frequency spectrum. its the same. i never said your going to be getting flac out of this method... blank space at the front and end? well idk what audacity version you use but mine waits for input before it starts recording and if you choose Sound Activated recording it stops when audio goes below a threshold automatically. so no space between stop and start. if you transcode an mp3 to mp3 itll sound like crap when the original is an mp3? well that just makes for a whole lotta nonsense. only part i agree with is yes its time consuming. but i posted for ppl who dont have an alternative and would gladly wait 3-5 minutes for a song they like to record it and take the 10 seconds to add metadata.

yes i posted this on a site for tracker invites yet for some reason theres a tutorial section and within that a audio/video section where other threads like How to repair scratched cd's cheap and extract the exact audio from youtube tutorials reside. nonsense..

Leave a comment:

• ChinaCatINoU
    replied
    THANK YOU! clipconverter is one of my new favs.

Leave a comment:

• Coal
    replied
    There's so many reasons not to do this. Bad source quality, and the fact that you're effectively transcoding a lossy encode when you do this, mean that it's gonna sound crap. Blank space at the start and end of the track which is not meant to be there is a huge no. Sounds from the tutorial like you'll probably fuck up the dynamics of the track too. And then there's the fact that you have to record and tag every single track manually.

And you've posted this on a site which helps people to get on private trackers..

;)

Leave a comment:

• mtguy8787
    replied
    The advantage of this over youtube is that youtube quality can be anything from good to chit. This would allow you to go to say, spotify or something.

But yea, getting into What.cd is easy.

Leave a comment:

• ThaJay
    replied
    Also if you want to rip any media from a Web page I recommend you get Torch Browser.
    Last edited by ThaJay; September 4, 2014, 03:01 PM.

Leave a comment:

• wayneo99
    replied
    Originally posted by TheWickerMan View Post
    i did this for some concerts that i could not get any other way, but it takes time + is a pain, esp. to cut the tracks up add metadata, etc., plus the quality is only mp3.
    thats some what the reason i shared this. mostly for music you have no other way to download. i wouldnt expect someone to create a library using this method but a song here and there is pretty painless.

Leave a comment:

• TheWickerMan
    replied
    Originally posted by care71 View Post
    This seems like a lot of hard work to me. If you want Youtube music there is a website that converts it and lets you download it in various formats.
    http://www.clipconverter.cc/
    You can set it to download full videos, or just the sound track etc.
    i use dvdfab to rip the audio track from music dvds to mp3 to listen to on my phone, quick + easy.

Leave a comment:

• TheWickerMan
    replied
    i did this for some concerts that i could not get any other way, but it takes time + is a pain, esp. to cut the tracks up add metadata, etc., plus the quality is only mp3.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X