Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to normalize volume in VLC and stop loud volume spikes. (Gun shots, etc.)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to normalize volume in VLC and stop loud volume spikes. (Gun shots, etc.)

Do movies and TV shows played in VLC get really loud at certain scenes, such as explosions or gun fights?
    This tutorial will show you how to normalize the volume in VLC.

Step 1 - Open VLC... Then, click on 'Tools > Preferences'...

Step 2 - At the bottom left, under 'Show settings', click the button next to 'All'...

Step 3 - On the left pane, click the plus next to 'Audio' and choose 'Filters'... Then, check the 'Volume normalizer' button...

Step 4 - On the left pane, click the plus next to 'Filters' and choose 'Volume normalizer... Then, change the 'Number of audio buffers' to 10, and the 'Maximum volume level' to 1.75 ( You may need to adjust this figure. The lower the number, the lower loud sounds will be).

Step 5 - Click on save and restart VLC to apply changes!

Now VLC will normalize loud sounds for you!

bump......

Comment

Nice tutorial...thanks a lot.
      sigpic

Live Fast, Die Young, and Leave a Tattooed Corpse...
      and for the love of God,
      don't forget to leave an iGiver.

iGiver Tutorial

Introductions: Rules, FAQ and Registration Form

BIT-HDTV x 6
      HD-MKV x 2
      ComicBT x 2
      Unlimited MyAnonamouse Invites

Comment

I've been wondering how to do something like this for quite some time. I stopped using VLC, though, as it's video quality is quite poor. I'm sure PotPlayer will have a similar setting. Thanks for the tutorial!

Comment

Thanx for the tutorial..I will try it out on laptop!

Comment

Very helpful for me. Thank you
            sigpic

Comment

nice, it's so useful for me because this damn loud spikes is very annoying .

Comment

Do you know if this differs in any way from the nomalize setting on the simple view audio tab?

Comment

lovely tutorial.... keep the tips coming :)
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Gerbilshadow View Post
                    Do you know if this differs in any way from the nomalize setting on the simple view audio tab?

The difference is that you are unable to change the number of buffers using the 'simple' settings. It will still work, but lowering the buffers to 10 makes the normalization work more smoothly. The buffers control the recovery time of the normalization. In other words, they control how long VLC waits before testing the volume again. With movies a low buffer is needed because of fast changes in the volume of things happening. A high number of buffers would cause the normalization to skip abrupt changes such as gunshots.

Comment

@BackinBlack89 you wouldn't happen to know how to do this in Potplayer, would ya?

Comment

Originally posted by kent View Post
                        @BackinBlack89 you wouldn't happen to know how to do this in Potplayer, would ya?
                        No, sorry. I have never used Potplayer.

Comment

Often this is either an encoding issue, or just the normal audio levels of a movie: music & effects loud, vocals less so, OK in the multiplex, but not at home. :-(
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by BackinBlack89 View Post
                            No, sorry. I have never used Potplayer.
                            Ah no biggie. It's just that I saw a thread or two here extolling the virtues of potplayer so I thought I'd give it a shot.

I appreciate the VLC tutorial regardless. I absolutely hate it when I have to turn up the volume to hear the actors and then suddenly there's a ginormous explosion.

Comment

Originally posted by kent View Post
                              Ah no biggie. It's just that I saw a thread or two here extolling the virtues of potplayer so I thought I'd give it a shot.

I appreciate the VLC tutorial regardless. I absolutely hate it when I have to turn up the volume to hear the actors and then suddenly there's a ginormous explosion.
                              lol. that happens a lot and it's very annoying.

I watch most Tv shows before sleeping, so, everyone is sleeping here besides me, so a 'normalized audio level' will help a lot.

Comment

Working...
                              X