Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

access for 10 percenters to the Brain Stew forum.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• access for 10 percenters to the Brain Stew forum.

I was in the middle of a debate in the Brain Stew forum when the rules were changed so that you had to be 55 percent to post there. It was super-lame. If people are really spamming up the forum so much, then I think it would be better to just give them a warning. And if they do it again, chopping blockify them. I've spent a few months on the site giving away invites and bonuses, so I think I deserve to post wherever I want to. My avatar makes me look all sophisticated and posh and brainy, right? I think I can handle sophisticated conversation

I second this, even though I'm a new member I'd still like to take an active role in discussions such as are present in that subforum. I haven't been here so I can't say to what kind of spaming goes on there (unless there's a lot of 'scientists' on here, lol), but I agree that warnings and bans would probably go a lot further. If a member is going to spam/flame in there, I suspect they would do it just about anywhere on the site.

Cheers, there's my 2 pennies worth. Either way I can't wait to participate.

Comment

I think it's more of a preventative rule really. While not all 10 - 33% members are going to be mindless spam monkeys, there will be and obviously have been enough of them. So rather than adding more work to the task of moderating the forum, it's simpler to just limit certain areas to people who have proved they can play nice.

Comment

Originally posted by WIls0n View Post
        I think it's more of a preventative rule really. While not all 10 - 33% members are going to be mindless spam monkeys, there will be and obviously have been enough of them. So rather than adding more work to the task of moderating the forum, it's simpler to just limit certain areas to people who have proved they can play nice.
        I am a 10% and I agree with this. Sometimes it is better to not have access to something good than to have access and have it degrade.

Comment

Just work your way up to 55%

It was good thing to block brainstew from below 55%, because before that reform there were many one word posts and many short answers which obviously wasn't the point of brainstew. I don't think that the rule should change back to what it was and it will not change, because t-i is like a sophisticated machine that has been tweaked many times for best performance, so I don't think that they will downgrade it after upgrade.
          sigpic
          You watch anime? Read manga? Love Japanese stuff?
          Join #Otakuchannel on irc and have a chat with people who share the same interests

Comment

I have hit 55% today, took me a month and a half which is really not that long. personally i think i prefer it to stay as 55%, as im sure other posters above me have said it will ensure that the quality of discussion is kept high (after all that is the point of the section).

Comment

Originally posted by g0dc0mp13x View Post
              I was in the middle of a debate in the Brain Stew forum when the rules were changed so that you had to be 55 percent to post there. It was super-lame. If people are really spamming up the forum so much, then I think it would be better to just give them a warning. And if they do it again, chopping blockify them. I've spent a few months on the site giving away invites and bonuses, so I think I deserve to post wherever I want to. My avatar makes me look all sophisticated and posh and brainy, right? I think I can handle sophisticated conversation
              i understand and hear you, but this is a recent change, so i dont think they are goin to go back to the way it was.
              all i can say is keep posting, you will hit 55 soon.
              special thanks to extJSDB for the VIP. special thanks to SiniuS for the avatar.
              sigpic
              "Alea iacta est." - The die is cast

"Veni, vidi, vici!" - I came, I saw, I conquered.

caesar....

Comment

I actually like this whole "restriction" stuff as well (got accepted yesterday, so frish off the boat :D ) to keep the keepers and keep out the spammers and a**holes
                There are tons of comunities out there and many got lotsa fun people too but they are full of the people mentioned above cuz of the anonymity of the internet and becasue people tend to just take without giving -> this is "torrent-invites" after all and not "who has already got what he wants" so chances of meeting "new people" (like me) who also ONLY want private trackers and dont give a shit bout the comunity (hopefully not me :/ ) is high.
                Personally, I'm SUPER rare hanging out in forums and posting cuz most stuff has been asked before or can be found sowhere else. You know the guys who are "part" of a comunity for years but never register or write a comment? I'm one of them ^^ (not this forum, I only found out bout this recently and I used to torrent ONLY on open stuff with VPN so this is all new to me :) )
                so yeah, sucks being down, but there is a way up and when being up, we'll probably all apreciated it
                (though I do agree that it "extra"-sucks when you help out lots and people know ya already being nice, but you are kept outside cuz of this restriction.)

Comment

I don't know if you saw the brain stew before the cleanup and restriction but it was often anything but brainy. The staff don't do things for no reason. You can still have discussions in the general thread. Just tough it out and wait, if you really want to post there that bad you could always donate to become vip. Otherwise, keep posting and wait. It will come my friend.

Comment

I disagree it should be closed to 10 and 33. I myself am a 33% and I want to be able to be on Brain Stew also so guess what I contribute and will continue even beyond the 55%. You shouldnt be a johnny come lately and get all the benefits that the old timers have. If you want certain privileges than work on moving up. I thought it was going to be hard but I went from 10 to 33 in 30 days and hopefully I will get my 55% in a little while. Its makes you appreciate what you have and how you had to work for it. Not to mention its not fair to the people who came before us and had to work at it to just give it to a new guy. So no you shouldnt be allowed and it shouldnt be changed.

Comment

the reason is clear spamming
                      so keeping at 55% is fair

Comment

I think 55% is a bit high. 33% seems good. not too difficult to let the good users in and keep spammers out.

Comment

Originally posted by blaazed123 View Post
                          I think 55% is a bit high. 33% seems good. not too difficult to let the good users in and keep spammers out.
                          Yeah, that seems just right!

Comment

Originally posted by g0dc0mp13x
                            I can only assume that you are mocking the suggestion forum, which is in poor taste. If you were serious, then your are showing us exactly why the changes to Brain Stew are a good thing. You have a well developed sense of entitlement to opine that you "think I deserve to post wherever I want to". And "My avatar makes me look all sophisticated and posh and brainy, right? I think I can handle sophisticated conversation". How are we supposed to take that seriously?

We are looking out for the interests of the site as a whole, not your desire to immediately do whatever you want. We gave access to 10% members before and found that Brain Stew devolved into a spam fest and became very time consuming for staff to moderate. Not to mention the member complaints that we got about the mess. To be blunt, a lot of new i.e. 10% members don't know their way around this site very well yet. As a generalization 55% members tend to value this site more or are at least exhibit better behaviour. Letting 10% members post in Brain Stew did not turn out well.

The Chopping Block is for serious offenses like ratio cheating or those who try to make duplicate accounts. It is not a forum to castigate spammers in. Our administrators announced the change to Brain Stew in November. And it has made a significant improvement in the quality of Brain Stew threads. As it was an admin decision to tighten up access to Brain Stew, I don't know why some new members would feel that they are entitled to have the rules rewritten to suit their convenience? Let's face it if you are an active member here.. it doesn't take very long to make it to 55%. About a month. Are you so impatient that you can't wait a few weeks?

Last edited by Copper; February 16, 2013, 03:17 AM.
                            Fortune and love favour the brave .-. Ovid ....

Comment

No doubt that was intended as comic relief. But it remains a ridiculous statement, and one that would support making an extra effort to keep you out of Brain Stew for now

Totally ridiculous to try to make my point in a colorful fashion. I'm so sorry. Maybe I'd be better suited to some other forum full of rainbows and bunnies instead of moderators who take their job WAY TOO SERIOUSLY like they're guarding Mordor or something.

Comment

Working...
                              X