This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tutorial Request Feature, functionality or thread

As the title reads; people might want a tutorial about a particular topic and this functionality / thread/ feature would make it clear which areas are of interest to T-I users.

Make it easy for others to indicate that this topic interests them, too.

Then when somebody knowledgeable in the field reads the requests, he'll know that it is worth his while to write a tutorial.

At the moment it is a bit hit-and-miss what tutorials are actually sought after.

A more structured approach might reveal that there is a terrible surge for certain types of tutorials, and those with the relevant skills can get started writing, building their reputation and contributing to the community.

Wouldn't you agree the Help section already does exactly that? Members asks questions and those knowledgeable in the subject will answer them. Having a separate forum for people to say I need help in such and such an area does little compared to asking exactly what it is they need help with.

Those who desire to write up a tutorial can simply browse the Help section to see which topics members consistently needs assistance with. If they've done their homework and created a proper tutorial for that useful subject, the rep points rolls right in.

Comment

Originally posted by el2em
      Wouldn't you agree the Help section already does exactly that?
      I see your point, but IMHO it wouldn't hurt to make it a bit more plain than that.

Comment

I would suggest an official thread where users can request a tutorial.

If someone knowledgeable is willing to write one, can go ahead and fill the request.

To encourage people to fulfill these request we can give them 10 rep (same amount as fulfilling in an invite request.)

sigpic

Comment

I think Heart's idea is really nice! What do others think?

Comment

I'd say its a great idea. I've written 2 basic seedbox tutorials but I can easily write specific tutorials if anyone needs detailed info on topics I know about.

Comment

Originally posted by celeroninuse View Post
              I'd say its a great idea. I've written 2 basic seedbox tutorials but I can easily write specific tutorials if anyone needs detailed info on topics I know about.
              It was exactly to get people like celeroninuse going, that I made the suggestion!

There is a particular tutorial I'd like myself too though. I was thinking: what do I do, just write a thread and say "Please can somebody write a tutorial about SSL tunnels?" So I thought it would be nice to make it a bit more structured.

Comment

Originally posted by vikingprincess View Post
                It was exactly to get people like celeroninuse going, that I made the suggestion!

There is a particular tutorial I'd like myself too though. I was thinking: what do I do, just write a thread and say "Please can somebody write a tutorial about SSL tunnels?" So I thought it would be nice to make it a bit more structured.
                SSH tunnels/SOCKS proxy you mean? Not my area of expertise but there is plenty of info out there:

Using PuTTY to create an SSH tunnel
                SSH Tunneling - Poor Techie's VPN | Linux Journal
                SSH Tunnelling (Port Forwarding) — RZG

Anyway, back on topic . . .

Comment

Currency converter or not, I was just about to pay for VIP when a technical problem kicked in, which I have not yet been able to get around. So for the time being I'm waiting or might have to give it a pass altogether. Please see my pending ticket with staff.

Comment

+1 to viking princess and hearts. i really like their ideas and think it would be awesome to carry them forward. one of the best aspects of T-I is the wealth knowledge and what others can learn and share.

Comment

Guys we already have a tutorial section here. There should be no incentive for it other than they want to help others and contribute. If you ask people they will usually answer and try to help you out. IRC is also a wealth of info. If you post in the help section, those often turn into tutorials that people will ask the op to turn into a guide or get their permission to do so. Not to mention a lot of the answers are out there and all it takes is a few minutes of searching. We dont want a flood of threads asking and looking for stuff because people are lazy and just never look.

Ill vote no here.

TPP

Comment

I don't see really a point on a whole forum for that. Tutorials are all over the internet and right here at TI if you really try to find them, I'm sure you'll find a lot of the, like these: Torrent Invites: Set Up Your Own SSH Tunnel with Putty!! or Torrent Invites: The Easy Guide to SSH Tunnelling!. Findind the info you need nowadays is much more a matter of knowing how to search than having the needed information, so I really think people should start by going to advanced search and using the help section, mostly to find the info they need and, if it realy doesn't exist at all, ask for someone to write it. Sometimes you find the info you need but it's just not exactly what you need, then I think this is a very good opportunity to enrich it, bring the thread back to life and discuss the matter, every time a new thread is created about something we already have a dozen of it out there, we loose something important.
                        The Seedbox From Scratch Script

I'm not a native english speaker and my writing and (even) understanding of the language is far, far away from fluent, so, if you, native english speaker or not, have enough linguistic proficiency and found something in my words which you are absolutely certain that is a grammar or spell error, please, feel free correct me by PM or even expose it (so people learn from my errors), just don't go (too) off topic and don't make me more unsure than I already am.

Comment

Another forum or a thread to be stickied is unnecessary when the Help section does exactly that. As tenpackpanther stated, I wouldn't doubt the forum would be plagued with guide requests from members being too lazy to use the search utility.

Comment

Working...
                          X