Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Add currency converter or EUR/USD prices for VIP ranks + provide example of "Rank up"

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Add currency converter or EUR/USD prices for VIP ranks + provide example of "Rank up"

Suggestions regarding the FAQ section about VIP membership:

1) Currency conversion
    :
    To save non-Australian members having to Google the value of AUS$, you might want to add the price in some of the most common global currencies, or currencies used by large numbers of T-I members.

• For example, the price for VIP 2 translates to roughly US$14, EUR12 and GBP10.
    • Most people know the value of USD or EUR against their own currency.
    • But unless they visited Australia recently they probably don't know the value of AUS$.

Alternatively add an open source/freeware plugin that lets the user check the conversion rate at the site!

2) An example of how "Rank up" works
    :
    In the FAQ, provide an example of how "Rank Up" works. People may not be familiar with the expression "rank up", particularly not non-native English speakers. I understood it to mean that you get automatically upgraded to one rank above the one you pay for, given that you meet the criteria for the higher VIP grade. But I may have got it wrong. It would be helpful with an example there, to clarify.

Why do this?

All this may improve the rate of paying VIP conversions.
    Last edited by vikingprincess; December 30, 2012, 12:56 PM. Reason: fixed typo

I agree adding something like this, so Yes from me.

This can also be used in the seedbox section where people are buying and selling seedboxes.

something like : Currency Converter Module for CMPS - vBulletin.org Forum

sigpic

Comment

I think currency conversion is not such a good idea. The problem is that TI probably always wants donations in AUD, but the exchange rates will vary. So either you will always have to maintain the prices in other currencies, or you set it much higher for EUR and other currencies. But then people donating from Europe would have to pay more. If you look around on the web pretty much any site that wants USD, GBP, AUD... and also lists an EUR price then the EUR price is usually much higher if you convert it using the current exchange rate.
      So I think also European users will be better off if the donation is just listed as AUD amount.
      An online currency converter can be googled easily, you could use oanda.com for example, that's a very reliable one.

"Rank up" - I'm not a native english speaker myself, but "rank" and "up" I think is pretty self-explanatory, isn't it? It's not some special phrase and you can just translate the individual words and get the meaning.

Boost your ratio cross seeding scene releases on a seedbox - check my beginner friendly tutorial!

Comment

Originally posted by viola12 View Post
        I think currency conversion is not such a good idea. The problem is that TI probably always wants donations in AUD, but the exchange rates will vary. So either you will always have to maintain the prices in other currencies, or you set it much higher for EUR and other currencies. But then people donating from Europe would have to pay more. If you look around on the web pretty much any site that wants USD, GBP, AUD... and also lists an EUR price then the EUR price is usually much higher if you convert it using the current exchange rate.
        So I think also European users will be better off if the donation is just listed as AUD amount.
        A only currency converter can be googled easily, you could use oanda.com for example, that's a very reliable one.

"Rank up" - 'm not a native english speaker myself, but "rank" and "up" I think is pretty self-explanatory, isn't it? It's not some special phrase and you can just translate the individual words and get the meaning.

To address the points that you make
        :

Sure, I get that T-I wants the AUS$. But if I donate 12 EUR into their account, that's pretty much what they'll get, give or take a few cents. Paypal or the credit card company will do the conversion. If it comes down to pennies lost in conversion, just mark it up a bit.

Regarding Rank up: Ok, if you understand it......... what rank will I be if I pay for VIP 2 today and reach 55% in a week? Does the "rank up" mean I'll be VIP 3 instead? It's not completely clear to me, and I always want to know what I get before I pay anything..

Originally posted by GreatGazoo
        So a simple solution to this would be just to bookmark a currency converter in your browser.
        Ok but these are not large sums. Minor fluctuations won't make a difference. The important thing to T-I is that there is money coming in right, not a few cents here and there, right?

Sure, it's possible to check the currency; you just go to google and type "AUS 10 to EUR" or whatever.

But since the majority of users are not Australians it would make sense to provide the price in more commonly used currencies. (No offense to fabulous Oz! Maybe one day your dollar will knock out the US dollar, who knows!)
        Last edited by vikingprincess; December 30, 2012, 01:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by vikingprincess View Post

To address the points that you make
          :

Sure, I get that T-I wants the AUS$. But if I donate 12 EUR into their account, that's pretty much what they'll get, give or take a few cents. Paypal or the credit card company will do the conversion. If it comes down to pennies lost in conversion, just mark it up a bit.

Regarding Rank up: Ok, if you understand it......... what rank will I be if I pay for VIP 2 today and reach 55% in a week? It's not completely clear to me, and I always want to know what I get before I pay anything..
          Conversion: the problem is the rate will always change, today it is for EUR/AUD 1.27, so AUD 10 are EUR 7.87. Tomorrow it could be a rate of 1.3 which would be EUR 7.69 for AUD 10. Would you still want to pay EUR 7.87 then? And in a year it could be EUR/AUD 2.0 - which would be EUR 5 - would you still want to pay EUR 7.87 then? The only other way would be if admin constantly adapts the prices which means high maintenance work.
          Maybe this can be automated, but then you also run the risk that something goes wrong, people paying incorrect amounts etc. I don't think this can be done in a reasonable way from an administrative point of view without people paying much more as the only easy solution would be to say ok 10 AUD or 10 EUR in expectation that EUR/AUD won't go below 1.00 for a long time (that's how many sites do it, with the result you paying A LOT more when paying i EUR).
          For example there are some UK shops for video games that list game prices in GBP and EUR. And although EUR is my currency I am always better off paying GBP because the EUR/GBP rate that is current is always better than the one the shop offers.

I think it's easier to just link to a site like here and manually convert yourself, everything else will just end in either being impossible to maintain, or a rip off for people paying in EUR - just remember video game console prices. Usually you have USD price = EUR price, so we in Europe get ripped off because EUR is worth much more than USD. Thanks, but no thanks, we dont need any more of that :(

Ranking up: if you donate tier 1 you will become tier 2 VIP instantly because you are 33% already (ok not instantly as the site usually takes a few minutes/hours until the rank up becomes effective but you get the picture). Then if you become 55% in a week you go to VIP tier 3.

Boost your ratio cross seeding scene releases on a seedbox - check my beginner friendly tutorial!

Comment

Google offers a currency conversion thing (Currency Converter - Google Finance), that could just be embedded on the page. But its usually just easier to google it yourself.
            WFL | MKV | GGn | SPD | PAN | MTV

Comment

I'm not completely in the loop in regards to the currency change from USD/EUR to AUD, but here's an announcement made by [MENTION=1]Dave[/MENTION] way back in January:

All payments to TI will now be in AUD

[MENTION=21437]vikingprincess[/MENTION]

As for the rank up, we don't want to clutter the donation page with walls of text and everything is explained in the FAQ & Rules -- General Help Questions.

Some kind of currency converter embedded in the donation page wouldn't be too bad, but it's just as easy to open up Google in another tab which most of us do everywhere else.

Comment

Seems like unnecessary work to me.
                I find wolframalpha to be a better currency converter than google: https://www.wolframalpha.com/
                You can simply type X amount followed by the currency abbreviation and it will automatically convert it to your local currency and the poplar currencies as well.

See example: https://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=1aud
                九死一生を得る

Comment

Thanks el2m and Viola12
                  Note: If you're currently a regular 55% member and decide to purchase V.I.P. tier1 you will automatically be promoted to the equivalent V.I.P. class which, in this case, is V.I.P. tier3.
                  This answers my question regarding the rank-up.

On the currency conversion, let me give an example.

Jane lives in France and has never been to Australia, she has no clue what the value of an AUS$ is.

Scenario 1
                  : She sees that the price for VIP 2 is EUR 12, thinks "good deal" and immediately pays this sum via Paypal to T-I. Paypal automatically converts Euro into the local currency of the account holder, i.e. AUS$. TI recieves AUS$ 14.88 due to fluctuations in the currency exchange.

Scenario 2: She sees the price AUS$ 15 and wonders how much that is. She googles "currency translation" and messes around a bit before she works it out. In the meantime she sees an interesting link on google, an ad, the phone rings or she remembers that she needs to cook dinner. T-I recieves nothing!

Comment

I suppose your scenarios are valid, but what I see there is a person suffering from ADHD. To be completely sidetracked from your main objective isn't something T-I can prevent. You can use the exact same scenario with the glaring seedbox advertisements at the top of this page.

Comment

Originally posted by vikingprincess View Post
                      Thanks el2m and Viola12

This answers my question regarding the rank-up.

On the currency conversion, let me give an example.

Jane lives in France and has never been to Australia, she has no clue what the value of an AUS$ is.

Scenario 1
                      : She sees that the price for VIP 2 is EUR 12, thinks "good deal" and immediately pays this sum via Paypal to T-I. Paypal automatically converts Euro into the local currency of the account holder, i.e. AUS$. TI recieves AUS$ 14.88 due to fluctuations in the currency exchange.

Scenario 2: She sees the price AUS$ 15 and wonders how much that is. She googles "currency translation" and messes around a bit before she works it out. In the meantime she sees an interesting link on google, an ad, the phone rings or she remembers that she needs to cook dinner. T-I recieves nothing!
                      Or she could type "15 AUD in EUR" in and gotten the answer. :3

Comment

Originally posted by amachan View Post
                        Or she could type "15 AUD in EUR" in and gotten the answer. :3
                        Cool that even that works on google :)

But seriously, if someone isn't able to convert AUD to EUR on his own even with all the help he could get on the internet, then I also doubt this person is trustworthy of getting an invite and to be able to keep a good ratio on a tracker on her/his own.

Comment

The proposed idea is not without merit. Particularly if it was implemented as a optional, discrete, link to convert the currency. However we have a plethora of more important tasks ahead of a minor refinement like this and limited programmers to tackle said projects. And as el2em mentioned, it is trivially easy to use Google to convert a currency. If the OP's argument is that might lose an occasional donation this way.. someone that impatient would just as easily be deterred by the background theme colour or any number of other things.

A good idea but a low priority. I can't support the idea unless and until we clear a lot of other work first.

Fortune and love favour the brave .-. Ovid ....

Comment

Originally posted by LabChimp View Post
                            Seems like unnecessary work to me.
                            I find wolframalpha to be a better currency converter than google: https://www.wolframalpha.com/
                            You can simply type X amount followed by the currency abbreviation and it will automatically convert it to your local currency and the poplar currencies as well.

See example: https://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=1aud
                            I agree and personally use XE.com for exchange rate conversion myself.
                            As for TI, I think such feature would be superfluous and insufficiently beneficial to waste resources and time on. Besides, Paypal states the amount in the local currency of the account holder upon payment in a foreign currency, if I am not mistaken.

Comment

I also do not find this imperative to implement or worthy of my support, sorry but it is a No from me also. As far as the 2nd issue on your suggestion we are an English speaking forum, all members should have the gist of the English language to survive on TI

Comment

Working...
                              X