This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An Idea To Bring More Activity To IRC

So for those of you that know me, know that I love to hang out in IRC. The problem lately is that there has been a steady decline in activity/conversation there and I'd like to bring the activity in IRC back up to where it used to be and hopefully even higher. This is why I've come up with a multi-part idea to hopefully get IRC booming once again.

So most of you that visit IRC know about lotto and raffle. While these are great and all, I feel that they make people seem like robots and not enough of our newer members or people that don't use IRC know about these awesome things (which I will get to later)

So the main part of my idea is kind of like lotto and raffle except that it encourages conversation. This would be another IRC game that is played not through a command, but by actually talking. The way it works is that an IRC bot will count the number of words said by a user (excluding irc commands). A certain number of words said will equal a point. As a user talks more and accumulates more on their said word total, they will continue to earn points. Example: every 300 words = 1 point.

Now where am I going with this, you may ask? These points will then add up and can be spent in a "prize store" for some awesome prizes. With lotto, people don't seem to care about the prizes as they are limited and usually of not much interest. With raffle, it is once a month and goes to one person. This system gives everyone a chance at winning some awesome prizes.

Some prizes could be things such as the following:
    • An invite to a tracker (rare or not)
    • Bonus points on a tracker
    • A cool userbar than will be displayed under your account for a specific duration depending on the points you wish to spend
    • A class upgrade
    • VIP Tier 1 (or a tier upgrade)
    • Seedbox (different durations for different amount of points)

These are just some prize ideas and I'm sure as a community, we could come up with many more cool prizes.

Now for the next part of this suggestion. I mentioned earlier that I feel not enough people know about lotto/raffle (especially our newer members). The same would go for this game because normally you find out about these IRC games when you've already visited IRC unless you've seen a thread for it buried somewhere. So in order to get more people involved, I think it would be cool if there was an advertisement on the homepage of the forums. Something that would catch everyone's eye and inform them about the cool things we have going on in IRC. This could also be used to bring awareness to the MOTM voting as well.

So what do you guys think? I believe this would be a great way to see IRC flourish once again and also make it a tad more interesting. Also, thanks [MENTION=263310]Maple[/MENTION] for your suggestion on how the game should work.
    Any feedback is certainly welcome and would be much appreciated!
    Poopderp
    【ツ】 I can poop! 【ツ】
    Last edited by Poopderp; April 19, 2014, 01:23 PM.
    JOIN US ON IRC FOR CHATTING, FUN, GAMES & PRIZES!

How To Connect To IRC

IRC Word Game
    IRC Word Game Prizes

Originally posted by Poopderp View Post
    So for those of you that know me, know that I love to hang out in IRC. The problem lately is that there has been a steady decline in activity/conversation there and I'd like to bring the activity in IRC back up to where it used to be and hopefully even higher. This is why I've come up with a multi-part idea to hopefully get IRC booming once again.

So most of you that visit IRC know about lotto and raffle. While these are great and all, I feel that they make people seem like robots and not enough of our newer members or people that don't use IRC know about these awesome things (which I will get to later)

So the main part of my idea is kind of like lotto and raffle except that it encourages conversation. This would be another IRC game that is played not through a command, but by actually talking. The way it works is that an IRC bot will choose a random word from a word list. When someone is talking and uses that word, it will sort of be like winning lotto in a way. They will be notified that they have said the "magic word" or whatever and once this happens, the bot will choose a new random word.

Now where am I going with this, you may ask? For each time a person says the magic word, they will gain a point. These points will then add up and can be spent in a "prize store" for some awesome prizes. With lotto, people don't seem to care about the prizes as they are limited and usually of not much interest. With raffle, it is once a month and goes to one person. This system gives everyone a chance at winning some awesome prizes.

Some prizes could be things such as the following:
    • An invite to a tracker (rare or not)
    • Bonus points on a tracker
    • A cool userbar than will be displayed under your account for a specific duration depending on the points you wish to spend
    • A class upgrade
    • VIP Tier 1 (or a tier upgrade)
    • Seedbox (different durations for different amount of points)

These are just some prize ideas and I'm sure as a community, we could come up with many more cool prizes.

Now for the next part of this suggestion. I mentioned earlier that I feel not enough people know about lotto/raffle (especially our newer members). The same would go for this game because normally you find out about these IRC games when you've already visited IRC unless you've seen a thread for it buried somewhere. So in order to get more people involved, I think it would be cool if there was an advertisement on the homepage of the forums. Something that would catch everyone's eye and inform them about the cool things we have going on in IRC. This could also be used to bring awareness to the MOTM voting as well.

So what do you guys think? I believe this would be a great way to see IRC flourish once again and also make it a tad more interesting.
    Any feedback is certainly welcome!

I love this idea! But I do think that the idea of having a specific magic word that had to be said would cause conversation to become sort of awkward. Or would make people use words unnecessarily. I think if it were based more on the amount of words actually said by a given user it would be better. For example if user 'A' typed 30,000 words in the IRC that would be equivalent to 300 points or whatever. I think that way, it would encourage people to talk more without having to add in random words to increase their chances of hitting the jackpot, and would also probably encourage people to go more in-depth in conversation.

Great idea! +1 :D

Comment

I also see potential in this suggestion lets see what the populous thinks. I would also like to hear from either @Sky_ or [MENTION=87251]outdoors30[/MENTION] to see if this is doable without too much effort as they handle the bots on irc.
      only the shadow knows the evil in the hearts of men

Comment

Originally posted by Shadowbuild View Post
        I also see potential in this suggestion lets see what the populous thinks. I would also like to hear from either @Sky_ or @outdoors30 to see if this is doable without too much effort as they handle the bots on irc.
        Sky_ already has a script on calvin that can count the words people say so the big part is already done.
        I'd really like some more community feedback though.

How To Connect To IRC

IRC Word Game
        IRC Word Game Prizes

Comment

I like the overall concept. The only possible downside might be people filling the IRC with whatever jibber jabber they can think of in order to accumulate points. I.e. quantity over quality.

Comment

Originally posted by Shadowbuild View Post
            I also see potential in this suggestion lets see what the populous thinks. I would also like to hear from either @Sky_ or @outdoors30 to see if this is doable without too much effort as they handle the bots on irc.
            This is definitely possible without too much effort. Like Poopderp said, I already have the beginnings of this script made. Obviously the addition of the prizes will have to be manual, but I could fairly easily create a website for Staff to visit that would allow them to see who has done/purchased what.

Comment

Originally posted by mtguy8787 View Post
              I like the overall concept. The only possible downside might be people filling the IRC with whatever jibber jabber they can think of in order to accumulate points. I.e. quantity over quality.
              That's something we would obviously keep a look out for and anyone clearly attempting to abuse the system will see consequences.

How To Connect To IRC

IRC Word Game
              IRC Word Game Prizes

Comment

+1 from me for this idea, especially the big ad on the homepage. I think the prizes will be the difficult thing though, the lotto prizes are kinda crappy so getting them right this time around will be hard.

Comment

Originally posted by Coal View Post
                  +1 from me for this idea, especially the big ad on the homepage. I think the prizes will be the difficult thing though, the lotto prizes are kinda crappy so getting them right this time around will be hard.
                  Thats why i suggested prizes like a class upgrade, vip or a fancy userbar for a certain duration. those are just some and im sure we can think of plenty others. especially if someone would be willing to offer a seedbox slot.

How To Connect To IRC

IRC Word Game
                  IRC Word Game Prizes

Comment

I could see someone writing a script to send out words at random, you can make a script reply to people as well to make it look like the person is just having a conversation

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfyinc View Post
                      I could see someone writing a script to send out words at random, you can make a script reply to people as well to make it look like the person is just having a conversation
                      It would be quite obvious what the person is doing in that situation.

How To Connect To IRC

IRC Word Game
                      IRC Word Game Prizes

Comment

IRC could surely use a bump in activity. I like the idea, but the prizes are going to be tricky. Buying an invite with points given in a contest probably goes against most trackers rules/wishes. Bonus points are probably along the same lines. I like the idea of spending points on ranks/userbars/VIP but I'm not sure that's enough to motivate people. Seedboxes are always desirable, but how would it be funded? I'll try to contribute some original ideas when I get away from family today :)

Comment

Originally posted by LongDivision View Post
                          IRC could surely use a bump in activity. I like the idea, but the prizes are going to be tricky. Buying an invite with points given in a contest probably goes against most trackers rules/wishes. Bonus points are probably along the same lines. I like the idea of spending points on ranks/userbars/VIP but I'm not sure that's enough to motivate people. Seedboxes are always desirable, but how would it be funded? I'll try to contribute some original ideas when I get away from family today :)
                          So does giving away invites at T-I. Just saying.

Comment

The invites/bonus points would work the same way that they do in lotto. It would still be a standard GA with proofs and all but you would need the required amount of points to even participate. Seedbox prizes would be as they are for raffle (members offering to donate a seedbox slot).

How To Connect To IRC

IRC Word Game
                            IRC Word Game Prizes

Comment

For your concerns about trackers, what [MENTION=63095]mtguy8787[/MENTION] said, basically. Anyone who doesn't realise that trackers are generally not happy with any giveaway here is naive.

Userbars are something which would definitely encourage me personally, if they were done well. I think having userbars is a really good idea.

I know that the prospect of free VIP would go a long way to encourage the participation of new users, provided they were told about it, but I can't help that feel that even if staff wanted to do this, there would be difficulty in getting it approved by the sysop - if you look at the lotto forum, if I remember correctly there's a thread looking for people to contribute money into a pot to pay for people who get six 1s (free VIP) - even though the chance of this happening is like one in several hundreds of thousands for most users, people still have to pay for it - free VIP doesn't seem to exist as a concept on this forum.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X