This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Review of the month

Pretty self explanatory. Vote for reviews you like and every month pick one with the most votes and make it sticky. Or some other reward, no rep or anything like that. I'm thinking this might give another incentive for people to write better reviews. Plus a sticky post will attract more attention and rep and likes will come naturally.
    looking for: DB9

A nice idea but I believe that only 1 review thread is allowed per 12 months so sticking threads could block that section up, however as a compromise they could be stickied for a month at a time, in that case it would highlight it but it wouldn't be in people's faces.

The general population voting could be difficult, however if a small group such as the staff and exalted were to vote it would ensure that it would be a good review as those guys have eons of experience.

Good idea
    Syntax
    Patience is not a gift given to you.
    It is cultivated by yourself.
    Enjoy these:
    Invictus | Rise
    GA's
    10% | 33% | 55% | VIP

Comment

Seems like a good idea to me. But there are already so many reviews here. I try to put up new reviews but most of the time they are already done lol.
      sigpic

Comment

There's already a review for most trackers and a couple of old ones too. I doubt there will be enough reviews per month to initiate a monthly poll.
        Last edited by MisterDJ; August 4, 2012, 01:58 PM.

Comment

In the rules for reviews, it does mention that "the most detailed and comprehensive review will be selected and the rest will be closed". Which makes sense, but they do not close the reviews to further posts. If you have more to add or even disagree with a review, I am sure that it would be as appreciated as the original poster's review. I can only assume that additional opinions on a review are not only allowed, but also encouraged.

A nomination post for best review, and an open poll for people who are actively reading them. Keep the poll open and sticky the current winning review. As that review loses favor a new one might take over the winning position, top ten, remove the bottom vote getters and replace them with some of the new nominees. Keep the poll a somewhat living entity that has no close, just monthly/weekly adjustments.

Stickying the currently winning review would limit the block on the huge list the is the review area, because only one review would be stickied at a time.

MisterDj did mention the limited number of reviews per month, but the poll and nominations would surely include new reviews as they impress, should also include the current pool of reviews that already exist.
          Last edited by chippyroo; August 4, 2012, 02:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by chippyroo View Post

MisterDj did mention the limited number of reviews per month, but the poll and nominations would surely include new reviews as they impress, should also include the current pool of reviews that already exist.
            I just don't get the point of it since there's already a reviews index, and there's only one review per tracker which is obviously the best/only one. I don't think we should limit the members to mainly see the "best" reviews, the members need an index from which they can retrieve the review they need, and that's it in my opinion. The way I see it it's an unneeded addition and it would be a total mess, maybe inactive too.

Comment

Originally posted by MisterDJ View Post
              I just don't get the point of it since there's already a reviews index, and there's only one review per tracker which is obviously the best/only one. I don't think we should limit the members to mainly see the "best" reviews, the members need an index from which they can retrieve the review they need, and that's it in my opinion. The way I see it it's an unneeded addition and it would be a total mess, maybe inactive too.
              It's like saying we already have T-I members list, why the hell do we need a member of the month. Also I said nothing about removing the review index? I'm talking about reviews across all trackers not for each individual tracker. You sure make a lot of assumptions. And yes you definitely don't get the point but it's ok.

Comment

Originally posted by p5ycho View Post
                It's like saying we already have T-I members list, why the hell do we need a member of the month. Also I said nothing about removing the review index? I'm talking about reviews across all trackers not for each individual tracker. You sure make a lot of assumptions. And yes you definitely don't get the point but it's ok.
                I do get the point of your suggestion, and you should calm yourself. I did NOT say your suggestion is about removing the review index, don't you make assumptions yourself. I said that it seems unneeded to me. Not to mention there's not enough reviews coming monthly to create a new system with polls and sticky threads. It's a suggestion thread on which people post their opinions, if you can't deal with them and then bother creating such threads at the first place.

Comment

Originally posted by MisterDJ View Post
                  I do get the point of your suggestion, and you should calm yourself. I did NOT say your suggestion is about removing the review index, don't you make assumptions yourself. I said that it seems unneeded to me. Not to mention there's not enough reviews coming monthly to create a new system with polls and sticky threads. It's a suggestion thread on which people post their opinions, if you can't deal with them and then bother creating such threads at the first place.
                  I can deal with your opinions. I'm just trying to defend my proposal that's all. I beleive @chippyroo already addressed your concern about not having enough reviews per month. You said that members need the review index, well it's still going be there, nothing is going to change in the way people search for reviews. My suggestion is about giving recognition to a member who made a good review, nothing else.

Comment

People use the term LOL, even when they really didn't physically laugh. I admit I did laugh a bit when I saw the path this started down. I can only say, "yall are crazy" and then take a shot of Jamison. As a new member, I find myself browsing the reviews thinking that it can be better. I'm selfish, I want more... i want to see who writes good, and perhaps, dare i say, award winning reviews. I totally see where DJ is comin from, im not a mod, but have been in the past, and I cannot imagine the poor bastard that would get assigned to such a task.

The index is just that, an list of reviews, alphabetically as it were. Perhaps, the powers that be would like member participation in a different area of the site, which is justified. I appreciate opinions of others and would like to see well thought out creations appreciated. I don't see a stickied top ten tracker system either, and that's ok too. Maybe we don't want the choices spoon fed to the members, but with so much data, it would be a way for the readers to sort the trash from the treasure, and encourage a more comprehensive review system.
                    Last edited by chippyroo; August 4, 2012, 05:12 PM.

Comment

Yeah, I'm not too fond of the whole voting thing, but it's a pretty good incentive to highlight excellent reviews by stickying them. Honestly, there aren't too many good-good reviews out there so I'm pretty sure I could make that decision for the majority. From today onwards, I or another staff member will select a review to sticky and make good on part of this suggestion. Besides that, setting up an entire voting scenario seems a bit much. I'll append the suggestion in the Bonus rep thread.

Comment

Working...
                      X