This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seems pretty promising.
    If there's no restriction of user-class for the volunteers, I raise my hand as well.

Comment

I really don't get what the confusion is here, I quite clearly posted in the opening post what privs non-vetted members would have in comparison to vetted members. I don't understand why we would have to prevent someone that is not here for invites from donating to the site, the same as I do not see why someone that has not given invites or indeed received them should not be entitled to be Exalted. If a someone's contributions are that good that they are considered to be worthy of ascension to Exalted then it shouldn't matter that they have or have not given/received invites.

The whole purpose of this idea was to make the site more accessible for those people that do not want invites when they first arrive here (it happens, honestly). Why should we persecute those that are here solely for the community? I really do not see the need to have separate user bars.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TankGirl View Post

The whole purpose of this idea was to make the site more accessible for those people that do not want invites when they first arrive here (it happens, honestly). Why should we persecute those that are here solely for the community? I really do not see the need to have separate user bars.
        the need for separate userbars is due to the fact that we can not have non-vetted users asking for invites. I am not sure if it is doable to just have a code to allow only vetted members into area 51, this might have to be done manually via Forum manager and that is an admin privy, we can not give that option to area 51 team. So unless you can find something that can be coded to automatically differentiate the 2 user class I do not see how they can have the same user bar
        only the shadow knows the evil in the hearts of men

Comment

Originally posted by Shadowbuild View Post
          the need for separate userbars is due to the fact that we can not have non-vetted users asking for invites. I am not sure if it is doable to just have a code to allow only vetted members into area 51, this might have to be done manually via Forum manager and that is an admin privy, we can not give that option to area 51 team. So unless you can find something that can be coded to automatically differentiate the 2 user class I do not see how they can have the same user bar
          I'm in total agreeance with this. There needs to be some differentiation in the userbars, mainly for security reasons. That's why I made the black and white version as a test. We could use black and white for 10%-99% as well as a black and white VIP bar since I'm sure a lot of non-vetted members will donate. By having the black and white bars instead of color's for non-vetted members, seems to make the most sense to me since it doesn't really feel like we are discriminating against them and that its just a simple way to tell the two apart.
          JOIN US ON IRC FOR CHATTING, FUN, GAMES & PRIZES!

How To Connect To IRC

IRC Word Game
          IRC Word Game Prizes

Comment

Originally posted by Poopderp View Post
            I'm in total agreeance with this. There needs to be some differentiation in the userbars, mainly for security reasons. That's why I made the black and white version as a test. We could use black and white for 10%-99% as well as a black and white VIP bar since I'm sure a lot of non-vetted members will donate. By having the black and white bars instead of color's for non-vetted members, seems to make the most sense to me since it doesn't really feel like we are discriminating against them and that its just a simple way to tell the two apart.
            +1

Also it would not take a huge amount of work to make all the different user bars grey scale.

Comment

How about the same code that we currently use to promote 0% to 10%?

In fact you know what, forget it, scrap the whole idea, its pretty obvious that its not going be implemented.
              Last edited by TankGirl; February 27, 2014, 03:26 PM.
              sigpic

Comment

Just a quick question, are we vetted members able to PM non-vetted users, but they can't reply to us?
                If this is the case, then I believe it's best to differentiate these two user classes. It's so we can refrain from PMing non-vetted users, and avoid any confusion of why we're not receiving a response from non-vetted users via PM.

EDIT: Oh, nvm. Just read TG's edited post above. Ignore my argument.
                Last edited by nanosounds; February 27, 2014, 03:41 PM. Reason: see reason above

Comment

In fact you know what, forget it, scrap the whole idea, its pretty obvious that its not going be implemented.
                  How come so? :'(

Comment

What happened TankGirl?

Comment

Originally posted by nanosounds View Post
                      Just a quick question, are we vetted members able to PM non-vetted users, but they can't reply to us?
                      They will only be able to send/receive pm's from staff and why would you need to pm them anyway?

the need for separate userbars is due to the fact that we can not have non-vetted users asking for invites.
                      They wont have access to area 51 or the ability to receive/send pm's to anyone (except staff) so they wont be able to ask for invites, if they ask in any area other than area 51 they will be duly educated the same as we do currently. The vetting coding can be done in a similar manner as the current intro script.

Lets make this easy to understand shall we?
                      Take the current intro system and move it to area 51, change the name to area 51 access/security and whoopdeedoooo there you go ~ mission accomplished.
                      sigpic

Comment

Lets make this easy to understand shall we?
                        Take the current intro system and move it to area 51, change the name to area 51 access/security and whoopdeedoooo there you go ~ mission accomplished.
                        so then you would have to separate usergroups as the current system can not differentiate between who is vetted or not it just promotes from starting to 10%. Under your proposal everyone can make progress level so there will no longer be a starting member everyone joins as a 10% user at which point they have to branch off and either become a vetted user or a non vetted user. This is were the different bars come in ie; a user joins he gets the default badge of 10% he has a choice stay unvetted and remain in the default class or go for vetting and get the vetted user badge, they both will be able to progress to the same degree but the unvetted member will always have the default badge unless they decide to make an application and get vetted.

Do not get me wrong I like the idea and am all for it just want to make sure that the kinks are ironed out of the idea so once implemented we do not realize that it is not working. We need to develop a way of separating both groups and promoting one and not the other for the area 51 invites section

Comment

so then you would have to separate usergroups as the current system can not differentiate between who is vetted or not it just promotes from starting to 10%. Under your proposal everyone can make progress level so there will no longer be a starting member everyone joins as a 10% user at which point they have to branch off and either become a vetted user or a non vetted user. This is were the different bars come in ie; a user joins he gets the default badge of 10% he has a choice stay unvetted and remain in the default class or go for vetting and get the vetted user badge, they both will be able to progress to the same degree but the unvetted member will always have the default badge unless they decide to make an application and get vetted.

Do not get me wrong I like the idea and am all for it just want to make sure that the kinks are ironed out of the idea so once implemented we do not realize that it is not working. We need to develop a way of separating both groups and promoting one and not the other for the area 51 invites section
                          Although a bit unothodox what if unvetted had different percentages than vetted members? So like all members come in at 5%, those that become vetted get 10%, and vetted members get promoted to 33% and non vetted members get promoted to 30% and so they just are never on the exact same level and then restrict area 51 to those that are 10% 33% 55% to make the coding easier?

Comment

okay this has been approved by higher management. Dave has rubber stamp this so it is a go there is nothing further to discuss as this is happening

Comment

Working...
                            X