This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proposed Change to the Introduction Process

The problem we face currently is the fact that many potential new members (and old ones for that matter) are under the wrong impression about the intro process. They assume that in order to join our site they have to complete an intro and that said intro has to be accepted BEFORE they can partake in the forum activities which is incorrect. The primary function of the intro process is not to deny people access to the site, it's primary function is to vet members prior to giving them access to area 51 and I believe that its that misconception that may be discouraging some people from signing up as well as seeing declined applicants disappearing off into the big blue yonder, so what I propose is.:

Scrap the intro section completely (Delete it, gone forever, won't exist anymore).
    Introduce a new Area 51 Access form/application.
    Create a dedicated Area 51 Security Team (new rank).
    Move current VIP & Exalted invite sections to Area 51 Sub forum.

Non-vetted Members:
    • Will be able to rank up as normal.
    • Will be able to donate.
    • Will NOT have access to Area 51.
    • Will be unable to pm anyone other than staff.
    • Will not have access to IRC.

Vetted members:
    • No restrictions except those associated with their rank.

Area 51 Security Team & Mods:
    • Responsible for vetting/processing access applications.
    • Area 51 Mods responsible for removing bad proofs from GA's.
    • All team members responsible for checking and reporting bad proofs.

What this all means is we have a more friendly site to newer members, they are free to contribute to the site and progress through the ranks even if they are not here for invites. It also means that we are placing more emphasis on the security of Area 51 and we can give greater responsibilities to those that assist in that section. it also gives staff more options when dealing with Chopping Block cases or if they are investigating an individual ~ we can remove access privs instead of banning.

Whilst I welcome comments please keep them civil. If you agree or disagree with the proposal please make sure you explain why. If you would be interested in being part of the Area 51 Security Team state that fact in this thread.
    Last edited by TankGirl; February 24, 2014, 01:56 AM.
    sigpic

This sounds like an excellent idea! And sounds to me like it will iron out a lot of niggles in one fell swoop!

Comment

Sounds good...
      sigpic

Comment

I really like this idea, reminds me of when I first joined this forum, I felt pretty intimidated by how it is structured, I'm not saying it is a bad thing but it might put some people off. By doing this I feel TI will seem more welcoming to new comers thus creating a more active community.

But I feel like the new comers will be oblivious to TI's rules since introduction is the means to force them to read it. Might get chaotic. But I don't know just my 2 cents.
        Last edited by Riddler; February 23, 2014, 03:54 PM.
        Giveaways
        [VIP] [55%] [33%] [10%]

They're all the same -_-

Comment

Really looking forward to seeing this put into action :D
          Will really set us apart from any other invite forum and I'm sure we'll see an increase in both membership along with the happiness of newer members.
          JOIN US ON IRC FOR CHATTING, FUN, GAMES & PRIZES!

How To Connect To IRC

IRC Word Game
          IRC Word Game Prizes

Comment

I also quiet like this idea. I think the added security will be an awesome feature. I know you can move your invites higher up in Area 51 (like from 10% to 33%) but I like being able to offer my invites to 10% member but would feel better with the added security. Hopefully it would raise integrity as well and further discourage those members that sneak comments about rep into their PM's when sending invites to new users that may not be 100% sure that reps aren't suppose to be asked for. Having that as an addition like the current into about where members have to state the rules in their own words would be great. Something along the lines of what should you give to members who give you invites, and what should you never give.

Sorry just a bit of additional rambling but I love this idea, if you need any help I am willing to help in anyways possible.

Cheers,
            DreJ

Comment

I really like the idea, because people who are 0% seem like they aren't part of this community in till they reach 10%.
              When members that are 0% request help in the help section, there's one person who will tell them to create an intro. I'm guilty of this!

I would like to make some changes to OP's suggestion.
              1. I feel that non-vetted members shouldn't have any ranking, unless you want to give them benefit such as large avatar or more PM storage (see #3)
              2. Non-vetted Members should get access to the IRC because it being part of the community. TI doesn't not allow giveaway on the IRC, so there's no need to restrict them.
              3. Non-vetted Members should be able to pm other users, but limit there storage to like 50 - 100 private messages. Increase there limit through rankings.

So +1 from me
              Last edited by Hearts; February 24, 2014, 08:22 AM.

sigpic

Comment

I would prefer if everyone who is up to helping in this section post in the thread as no one is going to be taking charge of this section if this does get approved. We have yet to iron out the details and I will like to see the support this idea gets before implementation
                only the shadow knows the evil in the hearts of men

Comment

@Shadowbuild are you referring to us posting in this thread? Because I am up for helping in any way I can. I know Tankgirl said to PM her to show interest in the security team but if you just want to see how many members are offering support and to post here than count me in!!

Comment

Originally posted by Hearts View Post
                    I really like the idea, because people who are 0% seem like they aren't part of this community in till they reach 10%.
                    When members that are 0% request help in the help section, there's one person who will tell them to create an intro. I'm guilty of this!

1. I feel that non-vetted members shouldn't have any ranking, unless you want to give them benefit such as large avatar or more PM storage (see #3)
                    2. Non-vetted Members should get access to the IRC because it being part of the community. TI doesn't not allow to giveaway on the IRC, so there's no need to restrict them.
                    3. Non-vetted Members should be able to pm other users, but limit there storage to like 50 - 100 private messages. Increase there limit through rankings.

i like point number 2, if the user creates an account on the site (not an intro) they should be allowed on irc as irc has been a little dead lately and it would welcome them into the community as like you pointed out, irc isn't about giving or getting invites. ON the other hand, i disagree with the rest, I think like [MENTION=26021]TankGirl[/MENTION] said, users should be able to rank up by making posts as now, users can be active in the community without being active in the giveaway section. This is nice for those that don't really want to deal with invites but rather with the wealth of knowledge here. Allowing members to rank up without an intro is great as it will let them have bigger avatars, signatures and just feel like more of a community. On the last point, i pick a middle ground between you and tankgirl. I think that non-intro'ed users shouldn't be able to start a converstaion as members might go around pm'ing people for invites, but they should be allowed to reply to pm's sent by intro'ed users. This would eliminate the asking for invites via pm problem and still allow them to answer questions or help those that contact them for it.

Comment

Definitely an intriguing concept that I would like to see tried out at the very least.

- ECH
                      "Our virtues and our failings are inseparable, like force and matter. When they separate, man is no more." - Nikola Tesla

Comment

This is the exact fix for that feeling i had when I joined t-i. I stuck with it, but I can see we have a lot of potential people who just feel like the system worked against them and didn't work hard at progressing. I strongly feel this would be a good move for the future health of the site!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

That will be really great, that will bring more activity on site plus great opportunity for all the users
                          Count me in please, i'm always here whenever you need me.

Comment

Originally posted by Hearts View Post

1. Non-vetted Members should get access to the IRC because it being part of the community. TI doesn't not allow to giveaway on the IRC, so there's no need to restrict them.
                            2. Non-vetted Members should be able to pm other users, but limit there storage to like 50 - 100 private messages. Increase there limit through rankings.

So +1 from me
                            I say no to this is that is where we will see problems developing

1. If we allow non-Members the ability to send PMs they are going to be circumventing our rules and ask for invites via PM. This has happen time and time again so there is no question it is going to happen.
                            2. Again allowing midgets access to irc creates the same problems, non-members on irc asking for invites via PM. This in my opinion is worse than allowing them to PM on Forum as they can come into irc and harass others continuously thus creating what we are try to avoid bans.

Originally posted by DreJ View Post
                            @Shadowbuild are you referring to us posting in this thread? Because I am up for helping in any way I can. I know Tankgirl said to PM her to show interest in the security team but if you just want to see how many members are offering support and to post here than count me in!!
                            Exactly what I said anyone who is interested on this here and is willing to help I would want to see the numbers. Therefore I will prefer that they post on this thread as again no one is going to be taking charge of this section
                            only the shadow knows the evil in the hearts of men

Comment

Thanks for clarity, I am willing to help in any one I can!

Cheers,
                              DreJ

Comment

Working...
                              X