Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Add some Girly features to bring in more ladies...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vikingprincess View Post
    Adding a few features that might appeal to girls would make a difference, I think!
    What the heck? I thought that's what I was here for?

"I pushed my soul in a deep dark hole and then I followed it in.
    ...To see what condition my condition was in."

Comment

Originally posted by Yasashina View Post
      This is stupid idea, because in my opinion this site is neutral, it's not boyish or girlish.

PLUS

in internet you will never know when someone is a male/female and it doesn't even matter in my opinion!

^ i like what he said
      Proud founder of the #brothel

Comment

If there's such a sub forum, guys would be stalking all over it anyway, pointless.

Comment

quite interesting idea, but i dont think theres any kind of concept that works to attract more ladies to this site. "torrent-ladies" will find the site like any other guy would do. apart from that, credtis to the thread owner for a courageous suggestion and the nerves to open such thread ;)
          How to become a Power User on specific trackers

Comment

No worries, I get that my idea is a non-starter!

On the idea about IRC: I haven't visited the IRC yet, not sure how busy it is.... Is there enough of a female user base for there to be any life in a female IRC channel?

On the white-text-on-black background question:

I read in the info that Lefteris linked to:
            However, most studies have shown that dark characters on a light background are superior to light characters on a dark background (when the refresh rate is fairly high). For example, Bauer and Cavonius (1980) found that participants were 26% more accurate in reading text when they read it with dark characters on a light background.
            But say for example that a girl had only one invite to..... what.cd.....and she wanted to give to another girl, in the interest of switching the gender balance there a bit, or some kind of female sisterhood feeling. Maybe she had the view that women are better at seeding back (no idea if that would be true!) Would would this be a terrible thing, do you think? One of the reasons I suggested this is because I've had some amazing help from other women online! At some point it would be nice to return the favour, to some n00b girl who nobody else might take pity on.

Comment

Not that I don't like male company, but there is a lot to be said for female friendships and sisterhood and there is very little of that in the tech world!

Could start with one of those ideas: Maybe there is a pre-made theme already available. Most websites these days are not hand-coded from scratch and come with lots of themes and options that can be enabled etc. Might already be available.

As for a sub forum.... No harm in trying it, is there? Not too much work trying it out , is it?
              Isn't it the problem that in the tech world there are not enough ladies ? I am not sure that creating a sub-forum will necessarily attract girls. I think girls like guys are first attracted by this forum because of the invitations circulating. Not because there'd be a subforum dedicated to girls.

However i think the pre-made theme would be a good idea. As you said no harm in trying.

Comment

Best way to grab girl torrenters = Have a pink layout for the site

Comment

But say for example that a girl had only one invite to..... what.cd.....and she wanted to give to another girl, in the interest of switching the gender balance there a bit, or some kind of female sisterhood feeling. Maybe she had the view that women are better at seeding back (no idea if that would be true!) Would would this be a terrible thing, do you think? One of the reasons I suggested this is because I've had some amazing help from other women online! At some point it would be nice to return the favour, to some n00b girl who nobody else might take pity on.
                  lol, great one. that gender seeder preference should be in some bittorrent protocol extension ;)

Comment

This is a great one of a kind site and I would hate to see it split into more groups. 10/33/55 Already leaves us 10%ers out.

Comment

I think TankGirl and Copper summed it up, we are trying to come together, not separate. IRC is a decent idea, but also rather pointless because at the end of the day, we are neither black nor white, American nor Chinese, male nor female... We are just digitized ePeople. We might even be a bot for all we know. ;)

Thanks for the idea, but I also choose not to support it. Like TankGirl said, don't be discouraged and try again. :)

Comment

Originally posted by rackzone View Post
                        lol, great one. that gender seeder preference should be in some bittorrent protocol extension ;)
                        ROFL, that would be the day!

In the feminist dictatorship
                        :

BEGIN LOOP
                        IF seeder_gender=f THEN
                        Set UpSpeed=10Mbit/s ELSE IF
                        seeder_gender=m
                        Set UpSpeed=0.5Mbit/s ELSE
                        Message client: "Tell me your gender or I won't seed to you!!:evil:"
                        LOOP UNTIL [total equality reached, or girls rule the tech world!]

Comment

:

BEGIN LOOP
                          IF seeder_gender=f THEN
                          seeder_gender=m
                          hehe, great stuff, how about a new "phallocrate" interpretation of the add_peer function in python

Code:
                          def add_peer(torrents, info_hash, peer_id, ip, port):

if info_hash in torrents:

# Add the peer if its a girl and she is not already in the database

if ((peer_id, ip, port) not in torrents[info_hash] and (peer_gender =="female")) :

# Check If the female peer is ultimately hot and member of hdbits.org, then clear the peer list and contact only THIS peer
                              if ((peer_hotness>9.0) and (peer_hdbits.org_status==1)):
                               peers=[]
                               emptyPeerList(peers) 
                               torrents[info_hash].append((peer_id, ip, port))
                               closePeerList();

# otherwise append that cute but unshiny peer just infront of the male peers
                              torrents[info_hash].append_somewhere_infront_of_the_male_peers((peer_id, ip, port))

# maybe no girls available as peers @ all, so u betta get that torrent before its to late  
                               else:
                                  torrents[info_hash] = [(peer_id, ip, port)]

Comment

:

BEGIN LOOP
                            IF seeder_gender=f THEN
                            seeder_gender=m
                            Just so you know, the #brothel is a channel on IRC for women only.
                            Proud founder of the #brothel

Comment

Well I for one LOVE this idea. At the very least, we can have it as an option.

accepted/

Comment

Working...
                              X