Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Add some Girly features to bring in more ladies...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Add some Girly features to bring in more ladies...

How about a girls / sisterhood sub forum (no guys allowed) ?

A girly theme for the site too, perhaps?

Don't know if you all agree but personally I think it would be nice with a bit more gender balance on the site.
    I think I can lure some female online friends here, but at the moment the site feels very guy oriented.

Adding a few features that might appeal to girls would make a difference, I think!
    Let's see if anyone else agrees.

Yes more girlie stuff ! tired of seeing males at every corner.

ps : [MENTION=166751]Night_Crawler[/MENTION] this way you can do your sissy stuff w/o being accused =)
    ._.

Comment

I do not agree with this is idea, because in my opinion this site is neutral, it's not boyish or girlish.

PLUS

in internet you will never know when someone is a male/female and it doesn't even matter in my opinion!

Mod Edit: This post has been edited ~ If you can not critique a post politely (without using derogatory statements) then don't post at all.
      Last edited by TankGirl; December 27, 2012, 05:42 AM.
      sigpic
      You watch anime? Read manga? Love Japanese stuff?
      Join #Otakuchannel on irc and have a chat with people who share the same interests

Comment

Originally posted by vikingprincess View Post
        How about a girls / sisterhood sub forum (no guys allowed) ?

A girly theme for the site too, perhaps?

Don't know if you all agree but personally I think it would be nice with a bit more gender balance on the site.
        I think I can lure some female online friends here, but at the moment the site feels very guy oriented.

Adding a few features that might appeal to girls would make a difference, I think!
        Let's see if anyone else agrees.
        lol!. what do you have in mind? pink flower background? but i would say no to a girl {or male} sub-forum only. no need to exclude someone, based on gender.

but......we do have two girlie girls here already, what do you gals think.......JJ and Tank??
        special thanks to extJSDB for the VIP. special thanks to SiniuS for the avatar.
        sigpic
        "Alea iacta est." - The die is cast

"Veni, vidi, vici!" - I came, I saw, I conquered.

caesar....

Comment

i will go with no on the subforum part, i dont think that a new theme isnt a bad idea however

Comment

I happen to like this idea. The more women the better as far as I'm concerned. To put quite simply..."That's right the women are smarter>"

Comment

Originally posted by Yasashina
              I don't wanna make this eternal argue chain of posts, so I stop after this message...

Next question is who will code and make all that girly theme? Then we need to have boyish theme too then? You know it takes a lot time to make this theme and t-i people other things to worry about, I think that we have almost everything we need already in this site.

So if someone got insulted from my post I am sorry, but I won't take my words back.
              lol!. there you go. that was a thoughtful and constructive critique of someone's suggestion. with no mention of "stupid"

+2
              special thanks to extJSDB for the VIP. special thanks to SiniuS for the avatar.
              sigpic
              "Alea iacta est." - The die is cast

"Veni, vidi, vici!" - I came, I saw, I conquered.

caesar....

Comment

Originally posted by Yasashina View Post
                This is stupid idea, because in my opinion this site is neutral, it's not boyish or girlish.
                Please do not address peoples suggestions as being stupid or any other derogatory comment. Anyone that actually takes the time to suggest improvements, or additional features to entice new members should be praised for their efforts regardless of whether you agree with the idea or not.

As for the suggestion,
                The immediate problem we would face is the potential for the whole sub forum thing to spiral out of control. We don't have international sub forums and as far as I am aware there are no plans to implement any (before anyone asks), as such it would be unfair to have a sub forum solely for women. Another potential issue is the fact that separate sub forums (especially ones based on gender, ethnicity or nationality) tends to encourage divides in the forum populous, we are all here because of one thing ~ we are ALL pirates and as such we should be encouraging solidarity rather than separatism.

So with the above being said and the comments made prior to mine I'm afraid I can't support this, but please don't be discouraged, keep the suggestions flowing you never know perhaps you will come up with an idea that will make the forum a little more female friendly, not that I have any objections to the girlie themes (although I wouldn't use it myself).
                Last edited by TankGirl; December 26, 2012, 07:54 PM.
                sigpic

Comment

Ok I wasn't suggesting to make the whole site pink, or to ban any guy who happens to pop into a potential girl forum to say hi to the ladies

But I personally think this black theme is very bloke oriented. It's exactly how every guy customises his PC and practically no girl.
                  I personally don't think it 's very inviting, and it's hard on the eyes too. It's the online version of a a sort of basement lounge that a guy would like, but not necessarily a girl. Let's face it, tastes are a bit different (and yes I know there are many exceptions to this... and it's not a PC feminist thing to say.)

Frankly the idea just occurred to me when I was typing my other comment about a theme that's got a pale background with dark text (which at the end of the day, is the norm for good reasons).

I posted the idea because it seemed worth exploring and I personally tend to connect faster with other girls and have more in common.
                  Not that I don't like male company, but there is a lot to be said for female friendships and sisterhood and there is very little of that in the tech world!

Thought anything that might swing the balance a bit might be worth trying!

Could start with one of those ideas: Maybe there is a pre-made theme already available. Most websites these days are not hand-coded from scratch and come with lots of themes and options that can be enabled etc. Might already be available.

As for a sub forum.... No harm in trying it, is there? Not too much work trying it out , is it?

Comment

Originally posted by vikingprincess View Post
                    But I personally think this black theme is very bloke oriented. It's exactly how every guy customises his PC and practically no girl.
                    I would like to point out at this juncture that I am most definitely an exception to that observation. I personally prefer dark themes, and I quite like the space wallpapers however if someone were to create a "girlie" theme I have no issues, objections etc to it being installed, I do however vehemently object to having a separate forum solely for women. As I explained previously if we created a forum just for women then we would need to create one just for men, that in turn would lead to requests for sub forums such as over 18's, under 18's, Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual and eventually it would inevitably lead to requests for international sections which is a whole new can of worms...

The problem here is not the work involved in creating such sub forums, its the policing of said sections and of course the need, I mean what could possibly be discussed in a female only section that could not be discussed in the open?. If the issue is trying to find other females on site then having a separate sub forum is not going to solve that problem, there is no sure fire way to ensure that only females have access to that specific section regardless if whether you locked it down or not.

Sorry but I just don't see the need for a separate forum.
                    Last edited by TankGirl; December 26, 2012, 08:40 PM.
                    sigpic

Comment

Trying to make our site more friendly to one segment or another.. women in this case is well intentioned but the idea of exclusionary forums would be a disaster. Whether it is a foreign language only.. USA only.. or a female only forum, the result of a girls only forum would be to break up and divide our community and foster cliques rather than pull us together. We'd be a lot better served to encourage friendly forums than be isolationist.

So instead of having female or other special interest only forums we should think what would make forums attractive to women or more friendly in general and consider pursuing that instead. Girly themes or features may be good, perhaps curbing the worst of the #brothel type behaviour that some of our less thoughtful trolls engage in the main channel. But a special interest, girls only forum is simply divisive and would be bad for the health of this site.

For these reasons, I can't support the suggestion of female only forum.

Fortune and love favour the brave .-. Ovid ....

Comment

Warning: DO NOT address peoples suggestions as being stupid or any other derogatory comment. Anyone that actually takes the time to suggest improvements, or additional features to entice new members should be praised for their efforts regardless of whether you agree with the idea or not.

Next person to disregard this warning will be infracted

-1[/QUOTE]

Totally agree with you.

EDIT: As for the girly theme, I support it. But then I would want a boyish theme too
                        Last edited by TankGirl; December 27, 2012, 05:50 AM.

Comment

On the guys posing as girls point: On the kind of boards where I visit, it essentially doesn't happen. If it were to happen, it's easy to spot because guys would overdo it, or something else would soon give the game away. Women tend to write differently. Overall it's a bit like a transvestite in the Ladies.

My problem would be more that I mistake women for men online!
                          Quite a few women stay under cover and let people assume they are male.

In Russian language, where women use different verbs etc; you have to actually change the way you write if you don't want to give your gender away. Hard to remember for almost every single verb.
                          I think a few other languages are the same.

Well it seems that there isn't any demand for a Ladies sub forum or female bonding!

And I found a theme which may not be girly, but isn't pitch black either (the default out of the box theme).

Comment

I google some wallpapers

for bright females

dark themed females (T.G)

we can also use this for banned members

Credit : DocDoom

Source: http://www.torrent-invites.com/denie...d-userbar.html
                            Last edited by Hearts; December 26, 2012, 10:46 PM.

sigpic

Comment

No for a separationist forum.

But how about a #girltalk IRC room? A live talk talk about us, boyz, is even more productive than a forum and there would be less chances of a good writer mimetize your "way of speak"...

About a girl skin. As far as coders have time for doing something like this, it can harm no one, since it's for user's eyes only. I'm all for it.

About dark themes (almost off topic, sorry): I don't know when Mordor became as cooler as it is these days, but I don't like it at all and that's why I can't (here at T-I) switch from "vBulletin Default". In some circunstances it can be a good thing, but thinking that dark is the only cool think that we can have it's not only bad, it's dangerous (from the first link: "Dark background with light text also has its place in Web design but it is application is (or should be) much more limited, if you care about your readers’ eyes."). It's against readability, eye comfort and also against creativity, you cannot use too much colors on a dark theme, you're stuck with gray's shades.

Which Is Better – a Light Background with Dark Text or a Dark Background with Light Text
                              Why light text on dark background is a bad idea Tatham Oddie
                              Dark vs. Light Design: Does it really matter? | Webitect
                              My view on light text on dark background vs. readability | Veerle's blog
                              Light text on dark background vs. readability | 456 Berea Street

The Seedbox From Scratch Script

I'm not a native english speaker and my writing and (even) understanding of the language is far, far away from fluent, so, if you, native english speaker or not, have enough linguistic proficiency and found something in my words which you are absolutely certain that is a grammar or spell error, please, feel free correct me by PM or even expose it (so people learn from my errors), just don't go (too) off topic and don't make me more unsure than I already am.

Comment

Working...
                              X