This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speedtests

Ok so we have improved the intro rules and FAQ's and we even have a repping guide. I am most grateful that it has been updated/created and my thanks to all those that helped, but I have had an idea that may help us a little more especially when it comes down to people posting fake speedtests.

As it stands at the moment we ask the midgets to post the forum link which then displays the speedtest as a pic. How about we ask them to post the www. link (take the img tag out) instead as then we can search that link on the forum to see if anyone has decided to be stupid enough to try and do a copy and paste.

Its just a thought - views please :)
    sigpic

Nice idea, but you could also do with text proof like.
    U let them do speedtest, ask if they open WORD so they can type your name and their forum name on it. Would be hard to photoshop that. But yeah , very good idea.

Edit: Something like this :
    Last edited by Rammstein12; January 21, 2010, 09:19 AM.

Comment

yes it is a very good idea =)

Comment

Awesome idea.... maybe keep the img in the [] tags itself....and also require the direct link to be pasted under the img tag.....

My logic is that the actual image will make it easier for people who handle lots of applicants while the the direct link to the actual img on speedtest.net servers being text will be WAY more search-able.... therefor when making references or looking for any kind of background info we might find a nice lower stress level from people who try their rears off to keep this a nice place.

Example:

speedtest link for: EQavious
        http://www.speedtest.net/result/689805271.png

Comment

Instead of using the forum link for the speedtest, it will be better if we tell the midgets to upload the entire browser page with their name and date in the address bar just like its done for the ratio proofs,by this way it will be very difficult to copy the speed test of others, just a suggestion.

Comment

As often as speed tests are used here it's too bad there's no way to just code it in so that there's an on the site speedtest that can't be faked.

..or perhaps there is. I'm not that good with code, but I would think it'd be doable
            sigpic
            Need help? PM me and I'll find you the answer.

Comment

I like the mixing of the original idea with Equavious' idea... which is having the [img] tags and below the picture write also the link of the image.
              Originally posted by Equavious View Post
              Example:

speedtest link for: EQavious
              http://www.speedtest.net/result/689805271.png
              -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Originally posted by Rammstein12 View Post
              Nice idea, but you could also do with text proof like.
              U let them do speedtest, ask if they open WORD so they can type your name and their forum name on it. Would be hard to photoshop that. But yeah , very good idea.
              I'd say no to this one.. The images can easily edited by even a noob like me. If am not wrong the idea of posting the direct link and not a screenshot is because you must hack the "speedtest.net" server if you want to post a fake speedtest.

Comment

TankGirl is awesome :b
                McMuffin likes her!

Great idea, it's better to catch those bastards who want to take advantage of it to apply for a tracker that requires a good speedtest.
                Yeah, I'm the one and only McLovin from Superbad and the one and only Red Mist from Kick Ass :cursing:
                YEAH I'M BACK!

A big thanks to all from T-I, special thanks for some users lalala

BRIDSKID FTW

Comment

Great idea TankGirl!!! I think that this should be putted in our great communnity

Comment

you could always just click the picture of the speedtest and copy the link :| I don't see the problem here.

Comment

Originally posted by OkIwont View Post
                      I like the mixing of the original idea with Equavious' idea... which is having the [img]http://www.torrent-invites.com/suggestions/suggestions/ tags and below the picture write also the link of the image.

-----------------------

I'd say no to this one.. The images can easily edited by even a noob like me. If am not wrong the idea of posting the direct link and not a screenshot is because you must hack the "speedtest.net" server if you want to post a fake speedtest.
                      I dont understand much of Photoshop so excuse me lol. Doesn't it become obvious if u edit it because the Textures doesnt match?
                      Last edited by JustJenna; January 22, 2010, 09:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rammstein12 View Post
                        I dont understand much of Photoshop so excuse me lol. Doesn't it become obvious if u edit it because the Textures doesnt match?
                        Don't worry.. I don't know almost anything of Photoshop. :D
                        But it is pretty easy to edit it and not understand the difference between an edited and a real one.

For example I had made this one for the new member guide:
                        http://img196.imageshack.us/img196/9913/postpic1.jpg
                        It is completely fake, but I wouldn't know if someone else posted it! I'm pretty sure that if someone works for a little even without having skills, he can make a fake screenshot of speedtest.

Sorry if I was a little off-topic with this post.

Originally posted by ethicks View Post
                        you could always just click the picture of the speedtest and copy the link :| I don't see the problem here.
                        The suggestion is to write the link, so when someone will use the search function for an image, he will can find if the midget just copied the link from another intro, because the results of the search will be 2(or more) threads. So if a user has just copied the link from another intro/thread you can easily catch him if you use the search function.
                        That's how I understood it. Correct me if I am wrong :)

Edit: Oh,lol... Now I got what you said.. Well,I guess it will save a TON of time if someone works much at the introduction section. Just do some maths,with random numbers. If clicking the picture of speedtest and then copying the link is about 5 seconds more, then on 10 introductions would be 50 seconds, on 50 introductions 4,1 minutes, on 100 introductions 8 minutes. It maybe seems not much time,but think if you do it 3-4 times day or in daily basis! If you do it every day for one month, it is 13,33 hours more.
                        Also something important that must be noted, I am not sure if the search function works "inside" the [img] tags.
                        Last edited by OkIwont; January 22, 2010, 09:59 AM.

Comment

In my giveaways to confirm someones location and speed test I have asked for 2 speed tests, one from the closest server to them and another from a specific location like NY. Its not full proof but it makes it a hell of a lot harder to fake.
                          Known by few but respected by all, he has no enemies as none dare to cross him.
                          He is the only living being to strike fear into the one that possesses the all mighty roundhouse kick. He is,
                          The Exalted.

sigpic

Comment

I'm ambivalent as to whether it's a picture or a link. I do like ethicks says, just copy the number part of it, open the Search function, and search for those numbers. It's easy and seems to work very well.
                            Born of mortal flesh and blood, she has toiled with understanding cyphers at times so oblique as to defy all understanding, drawing the attention of those so hidden in the shadows that their substance is not even the stuff of legends. Her work, both revered and reviled, continues to this day, as The Exalted.

Lovin' T-I !!!!

Custom avatar created by demon. Thank you so much!

Comment

Considering you can literally just click the picture to get the link I will be closing this thread.

Comment

Working...
                              X