This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheat for Intro Application?

I was browsing a couple of forums today and came across this guy who said that he didn't read the rules on T-I for the secret password and that he used Ctrl+F to search for the keyword 'secret'

Got me thinking that maybe the password should be put in a spoiler tag or something.................

Edit: Just saw the new Area 51 application process approval so I guess my suggestion is useless now? unless you plan to put a secret password in the new application too but I guess only the moderators and administrator would know that.
    Last edited by Featherweight; August 4, 2015, 01:53 AM.

If you think about it, putting it in a spoiler box makes it even easier. Being the only spoiler box of the page would make it way too conspicuous.

My suggestion would be to make the rules page a full-blown jpg image.

That way, the search function would not work...

Comment

Originally posted by GreatCat View Post
      If you think about it, putting it in a spoiler box makes it even easier. Being the only spoiler box of the page would make it way too conspicuous.

My suggestion would be to make the rules page a full-blown jpg image.

That way, the search function would not work...
      Well they could put the other stuff in spoiler tags too but I guess making a picture out of it would be much easier.

Comment

I support the idea; however, the means to do it will be determined by programmers. I have no idea how this can be prevented.

Comment

I think it is too easy to reach by the search function like you all said, how about making it something vague?

Instead of: Secret Intro Password, we make instead something like: Your way through or What you are looking for. Anyway, something in the likes of.

But there is the fear that some people would not get it or take too much time to understand lol.

Comment

The easiest would be to put the password into image.

Comment

Originally posted by Fante View Post
              I think it is too easy to reach by the search function like you all said, how about making it something vague?

Instead of: Secret Intro Password, we make instead something like: Your way through or What you are looking for. Anyway, something in the likes of.

But there is the fear that some people would not get it or take too much time to understand lol.
              As you said, it would make it too selective for those who aren't so wary of those details. And I'm not sure it would weed the smart ones out.

Originally posted by ak_74 View Post
              The easiest would be to put the password into image.
              A quick select all would make the image password evident...
              Last edited by GreatCat; August 5, 2015, 01:36 PM.

Comment

I would recommend this be the new password format

It takes care of two problems.
                1. You can't ctrl + f, or ctrl + a.
                2. You can't copy other people's password.

Example:

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Hearts View Post
                  We have done that format already and it caused way more problems than having it the way it is now, the main one being that it caused a lot of corrections especially when applicants used google translate as it doesn't exactly translate/convey the instructions very well, plus it does not help when trying to find dupes (not going to explain the dupe side of things so please do not ask for clarification).

Allow me clarify something before we continue, the "secret password" is applicable to the introduction rules only, it is not for the main site rules, if it were for the site rules then I can assure you that the password would not be where it is presently. Also we are not trying to make joining this forum a massive chore we are trying to be inclusive not exclusive, at the end of the day if you don't read the rules (because you cheated at finding the password) and you then fall foul of them then all I can say is... Ignorance is no excuse.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TankGirl View Post
                    We have done that format already and it caused way more problems than having it the way it is now, the main one being that it caused a lot of corrections especially when applicants used google translate as it doesn't exactly translate/convey the instructions very well, plus it does not help when trying to find dupes (not going to explain the dupe side of things so please do not ask for clarification).
                    So, is the secret password also translated when using google translate?
                    I can't help but feel that people should have a bare minimum level of english, if they want to access an english speaking forum.
                    After all, how are we supposed to understand them? I think google translate is only good at translating a couple of words, not whole sentences...

Originally posted by TankGirl View Post
                    Also we are not trying to make joining this forum a massive chore we are trying to be inclusive not exclusive, at the end of the day if you don't read the rules (because you cheated at finding the password) and you then fall foul of them then all I can say is... Ignorance is no excuse.
                    Well, users should be responsible for their acts.

I remember reading in the intro rules that you had the obligation to read and follow the Rules&FAQ, so users can't say they couldn't know the rules when they are supposed to read them.

I can't help but feel that it does increase your work load quite a bit...
                    I am pretty sure there must be some better selection method without making it too much of an hassle...

Comment

Originally posted by GreatCat View Post
                      So, is the secret password also translated when using google translate?
                      I can't help but feel that people should have a bare minimum level of english, if they want to access an english speaking forum.
                      After all, how are we supposed to understand them? I think google translate is only good at translating a couple of words, not whole sentences...

Well, users should be responsible for their acts.

I remember reading in the intro rules that you had the obligation to read and follow the Rules&FAQ, so users can't say they couldn't know the rules when they are supposed to read them.

I can't help but feel that it does increase your work load quite a bit...
                      I am pretty sure there must be some better selection method without making it too much of an hassle...
                      Assessing a members level of English comprehension can not be judged on whether or not they can find the secret password (regardless of its format). The secret password is (in all fairness) a formality, it does not provide any insight into a potential members habits/traits. It is the answers put to the questions posed along with the training and experience of the intro crew/staff that weeds out the not so desirable members or indeed those we feel will not survive here because of their lack of understanding.

IF you do not read the rules or you fail to adhere to them then ultimately you face the consequences, no super uber hidden over complicated secret password is going to force people to do either of those things. Just as a thought, how many of you actually read the rules of a tracker when you join it? How many of you just wait out that countdown that some sites have then just hit the agree button?

Conclusion:
                      Over complicating things just serves to push potential members away and that is something that we can not afford to happen here. If the secret password and its use is of such a concern then I will look to remove it completely (I may just do that anyway) and I will endevour to put something else in its place (if needed).
                      sigpic

Comment

At this point I think it should be removed because if it's too much trouble to make the secret password work properly then it's just a waste of time and it's pretty much saying that it's OK to cheat if it stays on. I don't know what would be a good replacement for it though.

Comment

Working...
                        X