Offer another lightly coloured theme

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Offer another lightly coloured theme

I generally like the default Vbulletin theme, but it has some bugs here, like not being able to give rep points properly other than likes, and I find the default black theme far too dark. It's hard on my eyes.

I simply can't use the dark theme here for more than a few min, and I actually have very good eye sight.

For now I have to switch to the default dark theme just to give someone more than 1 rep. point, because as I said already, the white and blue Vbellitin doesn't work for anything but post likes as far as giving rep. points is concerned.

I'm using the "T-I v4" theme and everything works quite well. Is that the dark theme that hurts your eyes?

Comment

Originally posted by Fluttershy View Post
      I'm using the "T-I v4" theme and everything works quite well. Is that the dark theme that hurts your eyes?
      Yes. Same with the lower resolution version.

Comment

I think the problem with that is the fact that people who use colored fonts for their posts will actually make it impossible for the reader to read them on a bright theme (or the current theme if we are considering someone who has chosen their colors based on the bright theme) Let me give you an example:

Someone is using this color to write on the black theme.
        Someone who is using the white theme will have difficulty reading this!

Comment

If you don't mind wearing glasses, take a look at the blue filter coating they have now. It blocks out a certain blue colour from screens that is known to cause irritation.
          It really made a difference when I got it done to my glasses.

Comment

Blue is not my issue at all. I just generally find all darkly coloured sites to be hard on my eyes. I need to look away from the screen every 1-2 min for a few seconds.

Anyway, the default vbulletin theme here (the white with blue accents) is near perfect, but it does have a couple functional bugs, like the reputation giving star at the bottom of posts. There is no area in the white theme with those rep stars to enter the amount of points.

I can live with it as is, and BTW I can totally make out those lighly coloured text above. Like I already mentioned... I have very good eye sight, but dark sites in general strain the hell out of my eyes, and even make them hurt a little.

Comment

It is blue that they filter out, but the blue that they filter out isn't the blue colour that you see in your username. It just reduces glare and irritation by filtering that light.
              I'm saying it because I had the same problems with certain websites giving me headaches. 3D movies did the same thing. Now I'm much better.

Here's some more info: http://news.essilorusa.com/stories/d...ht-and-uv-rays

Comment

[MENTION=74863]Fluttershy[/MENTION] I don't think that blue could be the problem, as MPC7448 has no problem with the white theme. And with the white theme there's is probably at least 5 times more blue as with the dark theme...

Btw, [MENTION=225861]MPC7448[/MENTION] could this problem be related to ambient brightness?

sigpic
                Sharing together - now and forever

Comment

Originally posted by cfpe View Post
                  @Fluttershy I don't think that blue could be the problem, as MPC7448 has no problem with the white theme. And with the white theme there's is probably at least 5 times more blue as with the dark theme...

Btw, @MPC7448 could this problem be related to ambient brightness?
                  If you mean a lack of brightness, no. Nor is there too much.

My computer room has what I would call very balanced ambient light.

Comment

Do you work in a office or any other document-related work?

You might have gotten used to reading text black on white and reading on a "inversed" manner (white on black) might disturb you more on a psychological level than on a physiological level.

It also could be a resolution problem. Are you on 1920x1080 (Full HD) or more?

One thing I can recommand, if the letters' size is a problem, is increasing the zoom page. Every browser should have a zoom option.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatCat View Post
                      Do you work in a office or any other document-related work?

You might have gotten used to reading text black on white and reading on a "inversed" manner (white on black) might disturb you more on a psychological level than on a physiological level.

It also could be a resolution problem. Are you on 1920x1080 (Full HD) or more?

One thing I can recommand, if the letters' size is a problem, is increasing the zoom page. Every browser should have a zoom option.
                      I'm a software developer that works from home, and use one of my bedrooms as an office.

My main display is a 24" S-PVA running at 1920x1200, but I also have an 18.5" TN running at a mere 1366x768, and have the same issue. Different class of LCD panel, much lower res - same issue.

The one point I can make that I don't even understand myself - is that I only have this issue when reading something with white text on a black or at least very dark background. Black wallpapers, images, whatever, I don't have that issue.

Comment

As a software developer myself, I know plenty of people that invert the color of their coding environment, usually just the IDE. Would inverting the forums work for you? There's a Chrome addon that inverts a page with a single click. I tested it out on the normal v4 dark theme and this was the result: http://i.imgur.com/2DUlO6h.png
                        JOIN US ON IRC FOR CHATTING, FUN, GAMES & PRIZES!

How To Connect To IRC

IRC Word Game
                        IRC Word Game Prizes

Comment

OK, I cooked up a solution for you.

I made a light theme on stylish extension that solves your problem (be advised that I don't have any experience in CSS, so there might be some bugs here and there).

It should work fine on Firefox (& Chrome too, I hope).

You need the Stylish extension for this. Firefox or Chrome version.

Enjoy.

https://userstyles.org/styles/115515/torrents-invite-light-theme-2015

I'll make a separate thread about it if you deem it is good enough.
                          Last edited by GreatCat; June 22, 2015, 09:20 AM.

Comment

@Poopderp

I typically find inverted screens too washed out; like that screen you shared. The default vB theme (white with blue accents) is near perfect for me. It's really only using the rep star that it has issues, and it takes two seconds to switch to dark and back again.

@GreatCat

Thanks so much for your efforts, but I'm not interested in anything that requires another add-on. I keep it to 2, and those are no script and bluhell firewall. As I mentioned to Poopderp above, the default white theme here is near perfect, but I though another white theme here might be a good suggestion, as I would imagine changes to the current white theme would require new vB code specifically for this site.

Here is the current white theme here (for those who have never tried it); which like I say is near perfect, and I will be sticking with it for now.

Last edited by Batman; June 22, 2015, 01:04 PM.

Comment

@MPC7448 Well, now that I see it, I feel a bit dumb for going through such lengths XD

Basically, you're asking for the current white theme to be fixed, not really a new white theme, right?

Comment

Working...
                              X