Giveaway thread policy update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Giveaway thread policy update

I would like to suggest the following two updates for the give away threads:
    1. In case the thread no longer have invites remaining for a particular tracker, thread creator should remove the tracker name from the thread tittle.
    2. Once all the invites have been given away thread should be closed (user may re-display the list of all the trackers in the tittle for posterity)

strongly agree, but I don't have faith people can handle this and the mods have enough to do already..... i did this very thing when i had to go MIA for a few months.

Comment

Isn't this just a personal thread management issue?
      On my GAs, I indicate how many invites I have & count down until gone.
      When this happens I close the thread until invites are available again, no problem.
      The only issue I have is combining multiple GAs in one thread, when one set is gone I still get requests as people do not read old posts.
      Only way I can see around this is either to separate the GAs, or keep the list of avail. invites regularly updated.
      sigpic

Comment

I agree with your second point. If someone gave away all invites, he should close the thread. Fortunately many users are already doing that. That way, nobody could request
        If the invites concern trackers with monthly invite gaining like WCD, Karagarga, Bibliotik, TVV and some other, he should mention that he gets invites every month and the thread should not be closed.

You can't enforce your first point, imo. A lot of users aren't even editing their first post if they already gave away invites. Imo they should just edit their startpost and close the thread if all invites have been given away.

Comment

Another option could be to change the give away mechanism from threads to forms!!
          That way most of the stuff can be automated.

Comment

A little unnecessary IMO. I mean it's nice and convenient and all that but should that really be a RULE?
            Maybe it could be suggested in the GA thread policy but for it being a requirement it's not important enough.

Sorry, but -1 from me.
            My Giveaways My Requests
            None None

|
            |
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|
            |
            |

I bet you're the kind of guy that
            would fuck a person in the ass
            and not even have the godda*n
            common courtesy to give him a
            reach around. I'll be watching you.

'Gunnery Sergeant Hartman
            '
            |
            |
            |~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            |
            |

Thanks, gblaze

Comment

Well I try to be consistent in my requests and giveaways,
              but dealing with the clutter of exhausted giveaways is a huge turnoff for me.

I do agree that TI is the only site I have been using for invite sharing, but I strongly believe that the give away experience can be improved substantially.
              Specifically if we are able to automate the process, so that the invitee don't get overburdened.

I don't feel that creating separate thread for each giveaway is a possibility because that will be a major inconvenience for the major players (those who have giveaways for 7-15 sites).
              I hope some of the officials will have a look at this thread and provide us with their input.

Comment

Closing a thread after it has outlived its usefulness is general etiquette on most forums, and usually enforced by a guideline. Seeing more threads closed in area 51 and maybe even moved to a completed or finished sub-forum would be nice to see.

As for the first suggestion I think its a nice idea in an ideal world. But would equate to extra work for our members and personally think it should be left to the OP's desire. Not to mention something members would forget to do if made a guideline.

---

To expand on the first paragraph, what could be setup is to have members close their threads when a giveaway is finished, after a month or so of being closed, moved (automatically) to a subforum for archival purposes.
                "Our virtues and our failings are inseparable, like force and matter. When they separate, man is no more." - Nikola Tesla

Comment

What about transforming the giveaway mechanism from thread based to form based?

Comment

Originally posted by troll90 View Post
                    What about transforming the giveaway mechanism from thread based to form based?
                    A form based system would provide a lot less flexibility for GAs. You would really miss out on the ability to customize your GA as you see fit. Also there's the implementation side of things in terms of code and just getting it set up. It just doesn't seem worth it to have a form based system when you consider those things.
                    JOIN US ON IRC FOR CHATTING, FUN, GAMES & PRIZES!

How To Connect To IRC

IRC Word Game
                    IRC Word Game Prizes

Comment

Originally posted by Poopderp View Post
                      A form based system would provide a lot less flexibility for GAs. You would really miss out on the ability to customize your GA as you see fit. Also there's the implementation side of things in terms of code and just getting it set up. It just doesn't seem worth it to have a form based system when you consider those things.
                      We can have a form in which OP can set requirements as he sees fit,
                      Only responsibility of the form would be to identify the number of giveaways associated with the thread.
                      And as the OP gets igivers for each give away we can reduce the remaining invite counter.
                      Once counter for a particular tracker reaches zero we can remove tag for that Tracker.

Once invites for all the trackers gets zero thread can be closed automatically.

Probably my explanation is not good enough, will attach some diagrams later.
                      I agree that some coding would be required on the server end, but in the end the experience would be a lot better!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X