Website Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Website Performance

I think the performance of this great website could be improved, which will result in a much better experience.

Right now the load time( First view) of the website amount to like 12 seconds wich is really slow ( from San Jose, CA - Chrome - 20/5 mbps )
    ( a waterfall graph is worth a thousand words: WebPagetest Test Details - San Jose : torrent-invites.com/ - 10/07/13 11:26:38 )

A few pointers:

• Reduce number of images
    The background image is nice, but also slows the site down significantly.

• reduce third party content
    The proliferation of third party content slows the website down,

Best would be to draw all the ad programs together with one provider, mut this may not be feasible, perhaps somebody could look at the way the page loads, and make ads and other selected third party content be rendered as last?
    • Image compression
    • Cache static content

Some of this stuff can be automed with tools like modpagespeed:
    PageSpeed Examples Directory

This is a nice tool to test the performance of the website: WebPagetest - Website Performance and Optimization Test

--
    Some vbulletin specific stuff (don't now if it is usefull, because I don't know the setup) :
    Plugin Accelerator- http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=107315
    Template Cache System
    http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=110144
    HELLCAT's Realtime Page Compressor
    http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=106333
    Last edited by Sacha; October 7, 2013, 08:00 AM.

T-I loads for me instantly...?

Comment

At the very bottom on the left side, you could change the theme. But i have no issues. DO you have plugins loading?

Comment

Originally posted by tenpackpanther View Post
        At the very bottom on the left side, you could change the theme. But i have no issues. DO you have plugins loading?
        Yes, I use the Torrentinvites v4 theme, which I think is the default one.

Have no issues with page loading time in IE10 - even now while I'm clogging my link with a huge FTP download.
        (although I guess I'd be grabbing the background image from the cache)

Which is more than I can say for some of the torrent sites - you know who you are Mr popunder ads
        Last edited by Wundurra; October 8, 2013, 09:16 PM. Reason: added info

Comment

I have not experienced any real issues.. In my experience response can seem slow when browsing on T-I, like clicking on what's new, the page loads far from instantly, although this is probably a combination of query + cache optimization, I still think there is some low-hanging fruit to be picked, which can result in a better experience overall.. But hey, it's just a suggestion...

Comment

Originally posted by Sacha View Post
            I have not experienced any real issues.. In my experience response can seem slow when browsing on T-I, like clicking on what's new, the page loads far from instantly, although this is probably a combination of query + cache optimization, I still think there is some low-hanging fruit to be picked, which can result in a better experience overall.. But hey, it's just a suggestion...
            Wasn't trying to invalidate your point, and you did go to some trouble to illustrate it - which is great.

I did find that by reducing the quality of the background image - it halved the size with no discernible difference on my 24 inch main screen.

So there are optimisation options available - even without changing the site content at all - Reduces bandwidth used (and probably costs to TI) as well.

As for loading ads last - if only EVERY site would do that - I'd probably gain back an hour of my life each day (Which I would squander looking at cute kitten pics or reading more forum posts.)

Comment

To be honest most of the time a site is loading slow is because of g00gl3. Either analytics or ads.. Also FB plugins might slow it down.

Here in EU that I am based site is loading in around 4-5secs.
              Also using this tool: Website speed test it says 7 seconds :)
              (I personally use this tool for my websites)

On a side note, I am using Piwik analytics on my websites which seems to lag them a bit too.. Oh well at least I am not using g00gl3 :P
              :evil: HELLenic = Greek which came out of HELL :evil:

Comment

Without meaning to offend you, this isn't so much a suggestion as it is a simple complaint. We'd all love to have webpages that load instantly and a site that never has downtime. And perhaps a million dollars and a Ferrari as well. But considering that this web site is free to you and staffed by volunteers is that reasonable expectation?

I will not claim that our site is perfect, but I think we do rather well. The site does not have the problems you describe most of the time. We need to distinguish between the norm here, i.e. 95+% of the time the site does not have the problems you cite. And page slowdown and so forth that do happen infrequently. If you are having frequent issues, then it sounds like the problem is actually with your internet provider or computer rather than the site. If you are talking about the other 5% of the time.. then your expectations are unrealistic.

Can we do better? Yes, we could do better if you are offering to pay for a faster server. Or if staff can find additional time to volunteer towards tweaking our site. Keep in mind that the site has limited financial resources and staff are all unpaid volunteers who already volunteer huge amounts of time for your benefit.

Since it is my unpaid time that you are trying to volunteer, I'd ask you to temper your wishes with a reasonable expectations though. The issue is further exacerbated by the fact that most of the staff do not have access to the web server; only our admins do and they are considerably less active on site than the remainder of staff, so that is another reason that it is difficult to avoid the occasional problem.

As to your specific suggestions e.g. reduce the number of site background images and so forth.. that clearly isn't necessary as the site simply does not have the problems you suggest it does 95% of the time. The bottom line is that you are either talking about infrequent issues which is a more an matter of financial resources and how much time staff can volunteer. Or problems with your ISP or computer which you need to address on your end.

Fortune and love favour the brave .-. Ovid ....

Comment

First I'd like to give the Thread Opener some credit, most complaints about web site speed from users comes in form of "hej your web site is slow for me, do something about it or i will not use your service anymore". The TO has done some research and gathered some statistics, also makes some suggestions about improvement which i find quite interesting.

However i cannot confirm those kind of problems with the speed here, even in high traffic situations. the site always loads for me acceptable and i dont see any magic button for reconfiguration towards speed. i handled around with image compression on another huge community website which was really slow but could only make minimal, unnoticable, improvements with adjusting image size/compression. Like Copper stated before me u could always improve by buying extra services, but there has to be a demand for it.
                  How to become a Power User on specific trackers

Comment

Maybe you don't mean to offend me, but I am offended (a little ... )But I am taking into account your standing in the community and I appreciate your work here and moreover, in general I tend to agree with your comments in the suggestions section.

Anyway my intention was solely to suggest that some settings can be tweaked, but I have to admit that I shouldn't have mentioned:" Right now the load time( First view) of the website amount to like 12 seconds which is really slow". Since the specific test does not draw a good picture. Having said that I still think that with some tweaks the website could perform better (for the good of everyone), without having to resort to more expensive 'hardware'. And I mentioned a few of those suggestions in my OP.

I will not claim that our site is perfect, but I think we do rather well. The site does not have the problems you describe most of the time. We need to distinguish between the norm here, i.e. 95+% of the time the site does not have the problems you cite. And page slowdown and so forth that do happen infrequently. If you are having frequent issues, then it sounds like the problem is actually with your internet provider or computer rather than the site. If you are talking about the other 5% of the time.. then your expectations are unrealistic.
                    It is not a big deal to set up some scripts to regularly test the performance of the site, and therefore get an accurate picture of the performance and possible related issues. And I am willing to help.
                    I'd ask you to temper your wishes
                    I have not wished for anything, I was just trying to suggest something which could be a win-win for everyone.

But...
                    Based on the posts from others in this thread, and some inductive reasoning. I have to admit that the overall performance seems good, since users are satisfied.

Comment

[MENTION=221008]Sacha[/MENTION]

Your post immediately above which puts your comments in a context is articulated well. Perspective is highly relevant and we have to consider both need and feasibility.

As a free site staffed by volunteers, our resources are clearly limited. It was stipulated earlier that improvement is possible but as the majority of members are not experiencing problems our limited resources are more likely to applied to more pressing concerns. That isn't to say that a snappier website isn't desirable or possible. It simply means that staff already donate huge amounts of time here and it is not a given that they can volunteer even more unpaid time to address every possible improvement we might conceive.

You also need to realize that most of the staff have no access to this particular area of our site. So while i am aware of how to go about this, supermods have no permissions to do so. It will have to wait until such time as an admin can tackle it. And as the admins spend less time on site, it's difficult to predict when that might be.

Fortune and love favour the brave .-. Ovid ....

Comment

Working...
                      X