Sticky threads that pop up frequently

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sticky threads that pop up frequently

I have seen countless threads that are essentially the same and they clutter up the forums. Threads like "What is the best tracker for X" are everywhere. If a poll is made and then stickied, new members will see it and not create an entirely new thread. I know that there is a search feature and that everyone is supposed to use it but obviously it's not being used enough.

Search in vBulletin is not good, I'm a Google searcher, not an expert but I find fast anything I want there and here it's difficult. I don't know if I like or even if I really understood your suggestion, but what would really help here would be a better search engine, that doesn't make me everytime go to the advanced that's really not that clever too, just has more fields.

One small change to it would be sort searches by title first. If I type "Banned Countries" in the search, the thread I want it's in the 6th or 7th page, if it was ordered by "words in title first", it would be the first post in the result search.
    The Seedbox From Scratch Script

I'm not a native english speaker and my writing and (even) understanding of the language is far, far away from fluent, so, if you, native english speaker or not, have enough linguistic proficiency and found something in my words which you are absolutely certain that is a grammar or spell error, please, feel free correct me by PM or even expose it (so people learn from my errors), just don't go (too) off topic and don't make me more unsure than I already am.

Comment

Nice idea jframe but I dont think this should be implemented as its just common sense that Search before Posting in forum, nice idea tho (:
      sigpic

Thanks SiniuS for Everything.

Comment

Originally posted by SNA View Post
        Nice idea jframe but I dont think this should be implemented as its just common sense that Search before Posting

It is a good suggestion. However as SNA already opined, it is just common sense that someone should search before posting. Or put another way, it is unlikely that implementing this suggestion would have much impact on people posting the same questions again and again. I am a member on a number of forums that have done as you suggest and it hasn't worked there.

Common sense is always in limited supply and so many will find it easier to blurt out questions than look to see if the answer has been posted under their nose.

Fortune and love favour the brave .-. Ovid ....

Comment

Sorry Jframe, I know the intention is good but all it would do is create a huge collection of sticky posts and become more confusing, plus the fact its already evident that people don't read the existing stickies we have, if they did there would be far fewer infractions flying around the place as the current stickies are generally the rules (go figure). However with regards to your example, hopefully when we get the new tracker info page up and running some of those repetitive questions like which tracker is best for blah will disappear as the information will be at their finger tips (not that they would probably notice :P).
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TankGirl View Post
            Sorry Jframe, I know the intention is good but all it would do is create a huge collection of sticky posts and become more confusing, plus the fact its already evident that people don't read the existing stickies we have, if they did there would be far fewer infractions flying around the place as the current stickies are generally the rules (go figure). However with regards to your example, hopefully when we get the new tracker info page up and running some of those repetitive questions like which tracker is best for blah will disappear as the information will be at their finger tips (not that they would probably notice :P).
            You've made a good point. If members don't read the current stickies then they won't read these. I just thought that since it isn't easy to compare trackers maybe stickies would help.

I have an idea for the new tracker page. Idk if the forum can be configured this way, but what if there was a database of trackers and you could sort through them with drop down menus. So like one menu could be type of content and another could be ratio requirements, and difficulty to seed, etc.

This way if you want a ratioless movie tracker it's super easy to find.

Comment

Hopefully we are going to go one better and incorporate reviews, with speeds etc, with IRC info, banned countries and with some luck the min bonus points as well (all on one page). There is a thread kicking about somewhere to do with the tracker reviewsI believe the info and example page is in that, you'll have to do some digging though :P
              sigpic

Comment

Opinion's can be similar but it does not means that u cant open a new thread.They are trying to get rep's so that they can move ahead simple as that, if there can be 7 similar looking individual in this world then why not thinking and idea's.But members should close their thread when they think its enough lols i have seen many threads where the members are actually inactive for months and in some cases a year these thread should be closed immediately. even i have opened similar threads and they have been closed by the staff whts the harm at least they are trying to be as active as they can and every body is not intelligent as some of the guys over here.And i agree with some of your point's but its is 50/50
                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                X