Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Personal Seedbox?

Hey guys.
    My employer is putting in a 25mbit line soon, and i have access to all the servers and comm rooms, and i was thinking about setting up an old server as a seedbox, just for me :)
    Anyone know what i should consider using as software? Preferrably free software of course ;)
    Are there any legal implications i should consider. I dont want to get my boss in trouble (He's actually a nice guy...).
    Any thoughts?

Supah

technically, it is not hard at all, get the port forwarding done on the switch/hut/router/firewall etc, depends on which OS you have, for windows, you can use utorrent and enable the webui, for linux, you can use torrentflux if you can setup a php server.
    However, from legal point view, i will not do it if i were you. one of the point of having a seedbox is hide yourself, setting up one in the office doesnt fulfill that purpose. Consider what will happen if your boss finds out and see if it worths the risk.
    Cheers
    The darkest creature, born at the brighest spot of the universe, hunted by the righteous and sinful, respected by the visionary. He holds the power of eternity, and ultimate destruction. He is the greatest creature from the Ancient, who has the power to control the Future. He is, The Exalted.

Comment

However, from legal point view, i will not do it if i were you. one of the point of having a seedbox is hide yourself, setting up one in the office doesnt fulfill that purpose. Consider what will happen if your boss finds out and see if it worths the risk.
      Yeah, i was kind of thinking that myself, but i thought that since it would just be me using this seedbox, it would be the same as if i sat with my laptop and seeding in the office myself.
      Besides, knowing my boss, he would sooner want access to the seedbox rather than turn it off ;)

Thx for the info.

Supah

Comment

Originally posted by Supahsmurf View Post
        Yeah, i was kind of thinking that myself, but i thought that since it would just be me using this seedbox, it would be the same as if i sat with my laptop and seeding in the office myself.
        Besides, knowing my boss, he would sooner want access to the seedbox rather than turn it off ;)

Thx for the info.

Supah
        Think about MPAA and IRAA, they are currently targeting ISPs and businesses who download so called pirated copies from internet, if you get caught, they may take you and your bosses to court, not necessarily for the money, but just to scare other people.
        The darkest creature, born at the brighest spot of the universe, hunted by the righteous and sinful, respected by the visionary. He holds the power of eternity, and ultimate destruction. He is the greatest creature from the Ancient, who has the power to control the Future. He is, The Exalted.

Comment

Ubuntu Linux 9.04 (Jaunty Jackelope) and rTorrent with rrtGui for web access (if you want something a bit more secure though I'd reccomend TorrentFlux-b4rt). There are A LOT of factors to consider though... downloads effecting company bandwith, the impact on the local intranet, the RIAA+MPAA breathing down your neck, losing your job, law suits, etc...

As cool of an idea as it sounds, it's a very risky one. I would reallly think twice before doing this but that's just my $0.02. I will definitely help you configure anything though if needed, because what you do is your business my man :)

PM me if ya need help.

Comment

I havn't decided yet what to do, but i hardly think RIAA/MPAA would target a small company in a small norwegian town to set an example... ;)
            I will definately contact you danistheman if i decide to go through with this.
            Thx

Supah

Comment

Working...
            X