Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Server For Encoding

Hi i am planing to buy a Power Dedicated server from here

France 1Gbps Unmetered Dedicated Servers | Basic DDOS Protection.

Can anyone tell me by experience Which by far is the best value for Money?

Intel Xeon E3-1240v3 vs Intel Xeon E3-1245v5 vs Intel Xeon E5-1650 (Which is better performance wise)
    Last edited by Freak12345; July 13, 2017, 08:38 AM.

bumppp plz helppp

Comment

Originally posted by Freak12345 View Post
      Hi i am planing to buy a Power Dedicated server from here

France 1Gbps Unmetered Dedicated Servers | Basic DDOS Protection.

Can anyone tell me by experience Which by far is the best value for Money?

Intel Xeon E3-1240v3 vs Intel Xeon E3-1245v5 vs Intel Xeon E5-1650 (Which is better performance wise)
      Since they resell online.net anyways, why not see if you can grab one from them? Depending on your budget there's :

PROCESSOR
      2 x Intel® Xeon® E5 2620
      12C / 24T @2,00 GHz
      MEMORY
      128 GB
      STORAGE
      3 X 3 TB

going for €89.99 /month, a steal currently since it's 50% off (€179.99 /month usually)

Special DEALS
      Last edited by Blitzed; July 14, 2017, 11:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Blitzed View Post
        Since they resell online.net anyways, why not see if you can grab one from them? Depending on your budget there's :

PROCESSOR
        2 x Intel® Xeon® E5 2620
        12C / 24T @2,00 GHz
        MEMORY
        128 GB
        STORAGE
        3 X 3 TB

going for €89.99 /month, a steal currently since it's 50% off (€179.99 /month usually)

Special DEALS
        hi, But they wont let me install windows as they charge extra :(

Comment

Had a look around and it seems you can do it via the rescue system if you're comfortable with that sort of thing, I haven't tried it myself, so not sure how it works.

Tutorial: Install Windows 10 Anniversary Update on a Kimsufi, Online.net or OVH Server

Comment

What applications are you planning to run? Why do you require Windows?

In general encoding (video I assume) scales well with the number of cores, so more cores are better, or even a GPGPU.

Comment

Originally posted by epicdavid View Post

In general encoding (video I assume) scales well with the number of cores, so more cores are better, or even a GPGPU.

More cores will equal faster encodes but this also means the video quality will be more poor. The slower you encode a video the better the quality will be.

Is there specific reason you want to run Windows over Linux?

Comment

Originally posted by WiTH3R View Post
                More cores will equal faster encodes but this also means the video quality will be more poor. The slower you encode a video the better the quality will be.
                Uhm, what? Yes slower presets (= more calculations) equals better quality but the speed of the processor (= calculations per second) won't affect it. Some encoders, such as x264, may have some issues with degrading quality when using many CPU threads, but as far as I know that number needs to be very high, like 18+ for 720p. So unless you're running 12 cores with SMT I don't think it's going to be a problem.

Comment

There is a wider range of applications on Linux, Linux is also lighter for the server ressources. On linux it is really easy to install like Plex or other applications to read the videos, an Torrent app to download (I use RTorrent) and an application to check automatically (like Sonarr) if a new episode from an serie is out and download it automatically. I really don't find the advantage of Windows here.

Comment

Originally posted by epicdavid View Post
                    Uhm, what? Yes slower presets (= more calculations) equals better quality but the speed of the processor (= calculations per second) won't affect it. Some encoders, such as x264, may have some issues with degrading quality when using many CPU threads, but as far as I know that number needs to be very high, like 18+ for 720p. So unless you're running 12 cores with SMT I don't think it's going to be a problem.
                    Sorry was gone for awhile. I didn't mean to post cores I meant threads. The more threads you have the faster the encode happens. Anything over 8 threads will start to degrade quality slightly of course what your biterate sits at also affects it plus other things. But in the end the faster you encode a video the more the video is degraded. What you also need to remember is not everyone is at home watching on the computer.

Comment

Originally posted by WiTH3R View Post
                      Sorry was gone for awhile. I didn't mean to post cores I meant threads. The more threads you have the faster the encode happens. Anything over 8 threads will start to degrade quality slightly of course what your biterate sits at also affects it plus other things. But in the end the faster you encode a video the more the video is degraded. What you also need to remember is not everyone is at home watching on the computer.
                      If you by "faster" mean faster preset, then yeah of course. Otherwise it makes zero sense. Do you have any references backing up your claim that using more than 8 threads degrade quality? And what has the decoding device has to do with anything?

Comment

Working...
                      X