Router under $30

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Router under $30

I need recommendations from Amazon or Newegg for a router $30 or under. That can handle 100 MB per second down and 6 up. (100 MB per second not really necessary, that's just what Charter offers) I don't know what encryption I need. I haven't had a wireless router since DSL. I'm rusty to say the least.

probably have to look for a refurb or rebate to get a gigabit router that cheap, average router price has been going up

Comment

At your price point and needs, I would probably recommend the TP-LINK TL-WR841N. Its says 300mbit but in reality thats the theoretical maximum speed of the wireless-n chipset the router uses, its actual routing capacity between the wan and lan interfaces is 100mbps.

I have never used it but I picked it based on its price, reviews, and the ability to have dd-wrt installed on it.
      "Our virtues and our failings are inseparable, like force and matter. When they separate, man is no more." - Nikola Tesla

Comment

You definitely wanna go with something that is compatible with dd-wrt because at that price point most of the firmwares are completely garbage.

Comment

Originally posted by Dracarys View Post
          You definitely wanna go with something that is compatible with dd-wrt because at that price point most of the firmwares are completely garbage.
          indeed! Pay attention to the exploits contained by the original firmware. ( eg: tp-link wdr4300 )

+1
          Free 4 All & All 4 Free

Comment

i have the same router for some of my needs as mentioned by the things u mentioned it will be perfect for u.+1

Comment

Originally posted by sandmen View Post
              i have the same router for some of my needs as mentioned by the things u mentioned it will be perfect for u.+1
              You have the TP-LINK TL-WR841N? Hows the range? I have a up stairs and quite a few walls. Is that a problem?
              VPN? Encryption? I've been with the AT&T U-verse all in one router/modem and have had no problems but that's going away when we get Charter.

Comment

mrwheels I REALLy dont know much about routers & stuff but if by encryption u mean password protection yep its good...the range i think it will work good between 2/3 walls within say 40 meters..but if u have more than 6 wifi users & more walls & distance i would recommend u better router otherwise considering its price with features i personally am very satisfied with it.I ran most on it 3 lan ports & 4 wifi it worked good within 20 meters with 2-3 walls inbetween.

Comment

Don't really worry about encryption, every router made in the last decade will support WPA2, which is strong enough but you really should disable WPS (it's by far the most insecure thing that every piece of consumer equipment comes with enabled). As for VPN, with DD-WRT the router I recommended supports the most commonly used VPN protocols and even OpenVPN with both client and server roles.
                  "Our virtues and our failings are inseparable, like force and matter. When they separate, man is no more." - Nikola Tesla

Comment

I had the 841N (still have it back home) It's a pretty good router, but if you have thick walls you'll see quite a bit of signal loss. I could barely get wifi from it downstairs in the house, but it did function well. I've also used the Asus RT-N12/D1 also supports DDWRT installation and also a great router.

Comment

FINALLY got Charter!
                      Q 1:how do I get my PS4 on NAT 1? (I think my UVerse router called it DMZ mode)
                      Q. 2: why am I not getting my full speed?
                      Last edited by mrwheels; March 1, 2017, 11:27 PM.

Comment

i recemonded Amazon.com: TP-Link TL-WR1043ND 300Mbps Ultimate Wireless N Gigabit Router w/ 3x 3dBi Antennas: Computers & Accessories but it"s unknow what real internet speed get post author?This router support firmwares like DDWRT/OPENWRT and LEDE wich is bassicly OPENWRT with some adds,but price out of budget.
                        Last edited by Promus; March 2, 2017, 05:52 PM.

Comment

Raspberry pi 3 . Just follow this turorial here How-To: Turn a Raspberry Pi into a WiFi router | Raspberry Pi HQ

I've been using this for the last month with success (VPN, seedbox, autodl, etc)

Comment

Working...
                          X