Creating Private Tracker - Hosting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Creating Private Tracker - Hosting

OK i know this has been asked in the past (searched google) But I'm interested in creating a private tracker. Most did not have a lot of advice in what I'm looking for. And before people start commenting about being able to PHP, MySQL, web design, coding and scripting. I can do this that is not the problem i have plenty of years of experience in this. What I am looking for in the anonymity of it. Something that i haven't had to do in previous site building obviously. I have done some research and found a few sites that people recommended. Also have found some others that are offshore DMCA ignored hosting/VPS/Dedis. What I need to find out is what is the preferred option Shared Hosting, VPS or Dedi. Also the amount of HDD Space need to have room for the .torrent files that are uploaded to the site. I know most are 100KB + file size and i have seen some 2 and 3MB files. The other concern is the MySQL Database sizes. I know it might not ever get that big of a site but if it were at some point i want to try to be prepared as possible.The server isn't going to be actually used to seed torrents its strictly for website hosting. Any other information would be appreciated. Recommendation for Hosts would be great!
    Last edited by FSociety; June 15, 2016, 11:20 PM.

Originally posted by blade121 View Post
    OK i know this has been asked in the past (searched google) But I'm interested in creating a private tracker. Most did not have a lot of advice in what I'm looking for. And before people start commenting about being able to PHP, MySQL, web design, coding and scripting. I can do this that is not the problem i have plenty of years of experience in this. What I am looking for in the anonymity of it. Something that i haven't had to do in previous site building obviously. I have done some research and found a few sites that people recommended. Also have found some others that are offshore DMCA ignored hosting/VPS/Dedis. What I need to find out is what is the preferred option Shared Hosting, VPS or Dedi. Also the amount of HDD Space need to have room for the .torrent files that are uploaded to the site. I know most are 100KB + file size and i have seen some 2 and 3MB files. The other concern is the MySQL Database sizes. I know it might not ever get that big of a site but if it were at some point i want to try to be prepared as possible.The server isn't going to be actually used to seed torrents its strictly for website hosting. Any other information would be appreciated. Recommendation for Hosts would be great!
    If you're seriously considering a proper private tracker, look at Project Gazelle: Gazelle by What.CD
    It's a highly customizable framework aimed at private trackers, and it's used by a lot of the major ones around.

There's also TBsource and its improved big brother TBDev.
    xbitit as well as u-232 are among the lesser known ones

VPS and Dedi are the ones used more so nowadays.

Here are some links to help you out as well:

BitTorrentApplications - Theory.org Wiki

Start Your Own Private Tracker??? Here's How :) (part 1) Parts 1-3 -- V
    Start Your Own Private Tracker??? Here's How :) (part 2)
    Start Your Own Private Tracker??? Here's How :) (part 3)

Best hosting for a tracker?

https://ejanic.com/private-tracker-hosts/ - Private Tracker Hosting Statistics

Even here: question: how to create and manage your own private torrent tracker? : trackers

Let me know if these help you out some. I would say Offshore dedi / vps would prob be the best options. Depending in cost of course.

Comment

Thanks for the information! I have read most of those links in my research. I am still stuck on the VPS/Dedi Situation i want to start with a VPS but my concern is the storage limitation. And paying for the Dedicated server just seems like overkill to start out. And its hard telling how much of a pain it would be to migrate from the VPS to the Dedi later. Plus having the processing power/Ram for the SQL queries on high loads. I'm all about the performance of the site just as much as the functionality/content of the site. If users cant browse and have a good experience there not got gonna bother regardless of the content available. ( speaking from experience of other sites)

Another question I have is about the announce URLS that trackers are using. I see some are using multiples whats the benefit to this? I also see some that use a subdomain for the announce url like tracker.domain.org and from what i can figure they point to a completely different IP address than to where the site is hosted.
      Last edited by FSociety; June 16, 2016, 02:28 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the information! I have read most of those links in my research. I am still stuck on the VPS/Dedi Situation i want to start with a VPS but my concern is the storage limitation. And paying for the Dedicated server just seems like overkill to start out. And its hard telling how much of a pain it would be to migrate from the VPS to the Dedi later. Plus having the processing power/Ram for the SQL queries on high loads. I'm all about the performance of the site just as much as the functionality/content of the site. If users cant browse and have a good experience there not got gonna bother regardless of the content available. ( speaking from experience of other sites)
        NP at all, here's a bit more to help out.

From this one: VPS vs Dedicated Hosting – Choosing The Right Service! ( If you haven't check this one out) I think for a start, vps might be a good test to see how your site flows. Then you could upgrade to a dedicated.

Should I Choose Dedicated Hosting?

Based on the hosting plans available and the research I’ve done talking to various representatives, my short answer is: probably not. To really arrive at the right answer however, you need to ask two questions:

• Does my site regularly experience traffic well in excess of 500,000 page views a month?
        • Do I need highly specialized hardware and/or software, and do I have the expertise to set this up at my disposal?

If the answer to any of these questions is “yes”, you should seriously consider researching a dedicated hosting solution. If the answer to both is “no” you should be fine with a VPS.

There is a final consideration: prestige. If you have a Gucci store, you probably won’t have IKEA chairs — even if they’re extremely comfortable and do their job perfectly well. If you’re creating an online banking app, from a marketing perspective you’ll likely want to tout that you use the most secure, most high-end server — even if such a setup isn’t technically required to run the app. In such cases, getting a dedicated server may also be worthwhile.

A few notes from some users:

The recommended way is to install all the same software, and migrate the data and configuration files for each application individually.

You could use rsync to copy the entire hard drive, but it isn't recommended. There are several files that need to be modified for each server, like the hosts file, the file that specifies the IP address for the network card, etc. Also, symlinks and hard links would need to be preserved. Etc.

However, if you're willing to live dangerously, make sure all services (except SSH!) are shut down on both hosts (apache, email, pop3/imap, mysql, etc). Then from the old host, you could try something like:

rsync -axvH / [email protected]:/

-a copy all files recursively, preserving owners, permissions, etc
        -x stay on one filesystem. prevents /dev, /proc, and /sys folders from being copied
        -v verbose, to see what it's copying
        -H preserve hard links (-a above preserves sym links)

and then make the necessary adjustments to the appropriate config files on the new system before rebooting it. If you hose it, just re-image it, and try again.
        (From above ^)

but make sure you exclude /dev, /proc, and /boot to be safe using "--exclude=/dev --exclude=/proc --exclude=/boot"
        Very true, space is an issue when it comes down to vps. Dedicated is awesome, it just requires a bit more tuning than a vps.

Comment

Thanks again for the load of information to look at. i know the real differences in the VPS vs Dedicated. The question was more a direct concern with the torrent site and what needs it might need to have to handle what its being used for. Not sure if you seen the last part of my post i might have edited it the time you were replying.

Another question I have is about the announce URLS that trackers are using. I see some are using multiples whats the benefit to this? I also see some that use a subdomain for the announce url like tracker.domain.org and from what i can figure they point to a completely different IP address than to where the site is hosted.

Comment

Thanks again for the load of information to look at. i know the real differences in the VPS vs Dedicated. The question was more a direct concern with the torrent site and what needs it might need to have to handle what its being used for. Not sure if you seen the last part of my post i might have edited it the time you were replying.
            Apologies about that, yeah I didn't see that last bit when I sent the post, (Should have double checked just to be sure :P) Here are a few more links, not sure if this could help out:

(Plenty of info, but surely enough, if anyone else can contribute to this, please do :D )

Multiple announce are for when a tracker goes down, you have backup of the site, a clone more or less. Having the actual tracker hosted on a subdomain, I can't give you an answer on that, not sure myself.

1) “announce”: (optional) The announce URL of the tracker (string);
            2) “announce-list”: (optional) multi-tracker list (a list of strings);
            3) “url-list”: (optional) a list containing one or more URLs of the mirror server(s) used as webseeding download sources.
            ''

inside_bitcomet [BitComet Wiki]

http://php-tracker.org/creating-announce-url.html
            http://help.pardot.com/customer/portal/articles/2128543-setting-up-tracker-subdomain-cname-

TroopTrack - Scout Troop Management for the 21st Century - Might help, but not sure if related.

http://www.bittorrent.org/beps/bep_0027.html
            http://www.bittorrent.org/beps/bep_0012.html

You Won’t Believe Who is Behind Public Bittorrent Trackers Going Down So Often | Politics P2P (More of public trackers)

Tutorial to Creating a [Private] Torrent File in uTorrent - Bootstrike.Com
            Wikipedia:Version 1.0 Editorial Team/Torrent Project/Torrent posters and trackers - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

BitTorrentSpecification - Theory.org Wiki

312c comments on How to cross-seed your own uploads to multiple trackers?
            https://forum.utorrent.com/topic/491...comment-295159

Setting up a BitTorrent Tracker · kbps

One last one - Server Defects - Bittorrent Tracker Announce Problem

Also, depending on what kind of tracker (private mainly) you are setting up, some of these steps could potentially ban a user, say for example: a torrent file that has multiple announce, could potentially see it as cheating.
            Last edited by Lenin; June 16, 2016, 10:20 PM.

Comment

SO really the multiple announce URLs is purely for backup purposes from what i am reading. But I'm stil trying to figure out how that works having an announce URL on another server that not being hosted on the same server running the site does that mean both have to have a version of the site running or is the announce URL a complete entity in its own. Sorry again for all the questions. Hope someone else can chime in hate your doing a lot of leg work for me i have tried looking this stuff up but not sure how to word what I'm looking for.

Originally posted by Lenin View Post
              Apologies about that, yeah I didn't see that last bit when I sent the post, (Should have double checked just to be sure :P) Here are a few more links, not sure if this could help out:

(Plenty of info, but surely enough, if anyone else can contribute to this, please do :D )

Multiple announce are for when a tracker goes down, you have backup of the site, a clone more or less. Having the actual tracker hosted on a subdomain, I can't give you an answer on that, not sure myself.

''

inside_bitcomet [BitComet Wiki]

http://php-tracker.org/creating-announce-url.html
              http://help.pardot.com/customer/portal/articles/2128543-setting-up-tracker-subdomain-cname-

TroopTrack - Scout Troop Management for the 21st Century - Might help, but not sure if related.

http://www.bittorrent.org/beps/bep_0027.html
              http://www.bittorrent.org/beps/bep_0012.html

You Won’t Believe Who is Behind Public Bittorrent Trackers Going Down So Often | Politics P2P (More of public trackers)

Tutorial to Creating a [Private] Torrent File in uTorrent - Bootstrike.Com
              Wikipedia:Version 1.0 Editorial Team/Torrent Project/Torrent posters and trackers - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

BitTorrentSpecification - Theory.org Wiki

312c comments on How to cross-seed your own uploads to multiple trackers?
              https://forum.utorrent.com/topic/491...comment-295159

Setting up a BitTorrent Tracker · kbps

One last one - Server Defects - Bittorrent Tracker Announce Problem

Also, depending on what kind of tracker (private mainly) you are setting up, some of these steps could potentially ban a user, say for example: a torrent file that has multiple announce, could potentially see it as cheating.

Comment

Bump? Any other suggestions from anyone else?

Comment

So i have been looking at different tracker sources. I have messed with gazelle some and i know its mainly designed for music. But to convert it over to be used for a general tracker seems very in depth with a lot of changes to be made even for something as small as adding categories for the torrents. Is there another source that would be better suited for a general tracker i am currently messing with the project u232. The only thing i have found i dont like about it is the admin tool system.

Comment

Originally posted by FSociety View Post
                    So i have been looking at different tracker sources. I have messed with gazelle some and i know its mainly designed for music. But to convert it over to be used for a general tracker seems very in depth with a lot of changes to be made even for something as small as adding categories for the torrents. Is there another source that would be better suited for a general tracker i am currently messing with the project u232. The only thing i have found i dont like about it is the admin tool system.
                    TorrentTrader is another CSM. gazelle really is a fantastic template for trackers, clean and effective. You can also intermingle both gazelle and another CSM to customize the layout. True, gazelle is a bit of a learning curb on categories.

What.CD is working on a new version of Gazelle : trackers

Comment

Working...
                    X