• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with network max open files

I have my own dedicated server, not a seedbox... these are my values

[email protected]:~$ ulimit -H -n
    [email protected]:~$ ulimit -S -n
    [email protected]:~$

I had 32768 set up on my .rtorrent.rc and it was fine and dandy, today when i tried deleting a torrent via gui an error ocurred and rtorrent crashed.

When i restarted it then it started saying too many files open... why is it saying so now? what can be wrong? what can i do instead of going to the pesky 1024 default?

Btw i have another dedidated server from OH with same setup and it works just fine.

come on folks.. a little help here.

Comment

Understanding how the limits work, the soft limit is the limit that is set, and the user has the ability to change the limits up to the hard limit. The soft and hard limit can be the same, meaning the user will be unable to change the limits.

Make sure the rtorrent setting is lower than the soft limit, either by lowering in the .rtorrent.rc file or by raising in the limits file.

"The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference."

Ubuntu 12/14/16 Debian 7/8 Seedbox Guide and Script

Comment

It is making no sense though. I had it set to the max limit, the 32k one in .rtorrent.rc and it was working fine.. All of the sudden it crashed and when i restarted it gave me the too many files open error.... have it now on 10k... Why is it doing that? I have another dedicated server with the same amount of torrents and have the limit at 32k and is working fine.

Comment

so noone knows?

Comment

My previous answer stands. It is not a case of how many torrents you have it is the number of files. An archived pack can contain 1000's of files, and if rtorrent is trying to open more than the limits set for the user, it will crash.

"The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference."

Ubuntu 12/14/16 Debian 7/8 Seedbox Guide and Script

Comment

Working...
            X