Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Difference between rutorrent and utorrent?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Difference between rutorrent and utorrent?

I am a member of a tracker which has an "official torrent clients list"
    Various versions of utorrent are on the list, but rutorrent is not.
    rutorrent works fine and is not on the "banned" or "not recommended" list.
    In fact it doesn't appear anywhere.
    What is the difference between utorrent & rutorrent?
    Are they just different names for the same client?
    Sorry if it's a noob question!
    Thanks for any help.

utorrent is a self-contained client. You can download and use the supported versions directly.

rutorrent is a front-end to the rtorrent daemon. Thus: rutorrent isn't what you need to find support for. You need to ensure that the underlying rtorrent version (which in turn builds on libtorrent) is supported. rutorrent is just the GUI you use to manage the rtorrent process. By default, rutorrent shows the rtorrent/libtorrent versions in the status bar at the bottom of the screen.

Comment

Thanks so much for your clear and concise response, which perfectly answered my question..
      One thing though, what does the term "daemon" mean?
      Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by MimiCrs View Post
        Thanks so much for your clear and concise response, which perfectly answered my question..
        Thanks
        daemon is a program that runs in the background. rtorrent is not actually a daemon, as it does not run in the background, but other than that small detail, the information provided by the previous poster is correct.

"The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference."

Ubuntu 12/14/16 Debian 7/8 Seedbox Guide and Script

Comment

Originally posted by MimiCrs View Post
          Thanks
          If you're used to Windows as your OS, a daemon is basically a service. It's a program with no front end that runs in the background. You use another program as a front end to allow you to access/configure/control it.

This is a massive simplification but, at base, that's how it works. :)

Comment

As the other members explained it in detail I want to mention one thing. Term " Demon" is used in LInux/Unix OS And In Windows World it called service.

Daemon - Daemon does not stand for Disk and Execution Monitor it is the process which run in the background

and is not interactive. It has no controlling terminal.

It performs certain actions at predefined times or in response to certain events.

In Windows World, daemons are called services.

Yes - daemons run on Unix-like boxes, and services run on Windows.

there isn't a significant difference between services and daemons.

Need in-depth info go to the following link

Daemon (computing) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Comment

ru torrent mostly used in seedboxes/servers utorrent not that well known for seedbox, also rutorrent performs faster.
              sigpic
              A proud Torrent-Invite Introduction Crew.
              If you need help with anything, just send me a pm,

Comment

Working...
              X