Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What film format and size would you advise is best for me?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What film format and size would you advise is best for me?

Hi there,

I currently watch films on my 13inch macbook pro. I am also a member of a private torrent site where my ratio isn't great. As such Im wanting to get the best mix of quality and film size. I recently downloaded a version of interstellar that was 3.5gb, and my brother in law downloaded a version that was 1.5gb- both 720p. TBH i couldn't really tell the difference between the quality in the two.

So what do you think the best format would be for me? Having seen his version of interstellar, im thinking any 720p version that is around 1.5gb

Kind regards

Do you ever plan to try to watch these on anyhting bigger or collect over time?

1.5 vs 3.5gb are still going to be relatively compressed. Blacks will be dull or splotchy and action scenes may have some distortion.

If 1.5 is watchable for you I would stick w/ that. Maybe some larger rips for your favorites. Not sure what you storage limitations are.

Comment

join PixelHD, you can find small sized movies there i guess mHD is a good option to you

Comment

Well, if go watch in 13" till 480p is wacthable, but some encoders uses 2pass and this make movie with a low bitrate but still very good too, like yifi, shaaning do.
        So if you think move this movies to a tv 42" its a better option get a "real" 720p or 1080p movie with a decent bitrate of video, but for 13" this one of 1.5 gb is good too.

Comment

As others have mentioned, the quality difference will become apparent when you find yourself watching on a bigger screen...you should also look into x265 if the small size appeals to you.

Comment

For a movie like that, compare the quality of the action scenes. A lot of 720p rips will look similar if you're not comparing the high-bandwidth scenes.

Also, if ratio is your limiting factor, get an invite to IPT. You can download 1080p if you want and still maintain your ratio.
            Btw, what is the resolution of your macbook's screen?
            Last edited by Fluttershy; July 5, 2015, 04:03 PM.

Comment

I would suggest 720p / 480p in .mp4 or mkv fomrat and file size gonna be from x100 MB to 1.x GB. I watch all the time on WD media player and Vizio 55" tv

Comment

Originally posted by CHitchens View Post
                Hi there,

I currently watch films on my 13inch macbook pro. I am also a member of a private torrent site where my ratio isn't great. As such Im wanting to get the best mix of quality and film size. I recently downloaded a version of interstellar that was 3.5gb, and my brother in law downloaded a version that was 1.5gb- both 720p. TBH i couldn't really tell the difference between the quality in the two.

So what do you think the best format would be for me? Having seen his version of interstellar, im thinking any 720p version that is around 1.5gb

Kind regards
                as others say you wont see the different in small screen for your screen i would reccmanded you watching yify from YTS it's small HDrib but if you watching in bigger screen you may need to try 1.0Gb to 1.7Gb MKV or MP4

Comment

Working...
                X