Help: Video Quality Troubleshooting.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help: Video Quality Troubleshooting.

New to torrents and still getting the hang of it.

I recently downloaded a video with positive reviews and stats as follows - "BluRay 720p DTS x264-MgB" MKV File. I downloaded and converted to a format AppleTV agrees to play and the quality is terrible.

Is my problem with the original file, the conversion, or the player?

It's hard to say without more info, bur it was probably the conversion. Converting (transcoding) anything other than the source format is a bad idea quality wise, especially if you're just using any old program with its default settings. Not sure about the AppleTV and what it supports, but I always watch MKVs on my PC, with MadVR and MPC-HC. You could of course get MadVR, watch the original file and the transcode, and then you'll be able to identify where the problem lies for yourself.

Comment

It's definitely the conversion. Solutions:

1. Get a jailbroken iPhone/iPad and download "Movie Box" from Cydia. You can stream via AirPlay to your AppleTV.
      2. Get a jailbroken AppleTV 2, and stream from your computer (XBMC, Plex, Universal Media Server).
      3. Buy another streamer (WDTV, Roku, PS3, etc.) and use a media server to stream files from your computer.
      4. Get a SmartTV and stream from your computer.
      5. Use a very long HDMI cable.

Comment

I 2nd using another device, I know my blu ray player will play some files while my xbox will play some others so I just flip flop between the devices. Or like someone mentioned using hdmi but I dont like hooking my laptop to my tv unless im doing some gaming.

Comment

Its definitely a problem with the video conversion as also stated by others above.

Simply selecting a file and using device presets in video conversion software is going to ruin anything you throw at it.
          The presets are very vague and poorly optimised at best.

If you actually want a good transcode you need to get the settings right. And Im talking about advanced settings like reference frames, adaptive b-frames, psychovisual trellis, deblocking, process threads etc...
          And even with good adv settings quality will still degrade. You will need to make multiple transcodes with slightly different settings to get a transparent (almost similar to source) transcode.
          And all this is done using advanced software like handbrake which is one of the most powerful video encoding/transcoding software around.

So, tl;dr:- unless you know what you are doing with handbrake, just leave the encoding/transcoding stuff to the release groups and not try to mess around with the containers and the codec.
          Just get a PS3/Xbox 360 and install a homebrew player on it (Showtime,etc- VLC equivalents) or use a PC

Comment

Or a WDTV.

Cheap little box that will play anything you throw at it with no copy protection issues.

Comment

Thanks for the advice everyone. I downloaded VLC player and the quality is great on PC. I have also have an xbox360 but like the interface of the appletv a little better. I researched purchasing jailbroken appletvs and doing it myself seems within reach.
              Thanks again.

Comment

Just keep in mind that Apple TV 3 cannot be jailbroken. Only versions 1 and 2 can.
                I use a PS3 myself.

Comment

Thanks for the reminder and potentially saving me a bunch of time. Fortunately, I have version 1.

Comment

Update: I tried to jailbreak the appletv with my PC and ran into a issue. I decided to dig up a VGA cable and project to the TV that way. I used my laptop so it worked out great. Quality was great. Thanks for all the help.

Comment

Glad to see you finally solved the problem.. :)

Comment

i've tried a number of set top box players and like my amazon fire tv the best. with plex or xbmc, no need to convert anything and it is much faster then any other box i have tried.

Comment

Working...
                        X