X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New seedbox and slow transfer rate

Hi,

I just got myself a seedbox and I have been noticing that i'm not getting that great of a transfer rate when I move files to my PC. I use Filezilla and I have a VPN. I am curious what average speeds are for transferring files? (I'm getting 3.1 MB/S) am I just being silly expecting faster when my speed-test shows i can get around 50? Any and all insight will be appreciated.

Cheers,

Whitedoor

In properties/connection/data connection is active mode (PORT) enabled or passive mode (PASV)?
    You should go for active mode.

Comment

You need to test you peering to the seedbox throw vps or what you use
      Sometimes the peering is not good same in my case, I have a dedi 1gbit and I got speeds like you avg 3-5MB/s with ftp to my 100mbit home connection

Comment

My advise is to use Cuteftp and set it up for segmented downloading. This will max your home connection

Comment

Originally posted by digitorrent View Post
          In properties/connection/data connection is active mode (PORT) enabled or passive mode (PASV)?
          You should go for active mode.
          I tried to set it up with active mode but since im using a vpn it wont work.

Comment

Originally posted by instant_diver View Post
            My advise is to use Cuteftp and set it up for segmented downloading. This will max your home connection
            i tried it but even that wasnt getting much faster speeds. :(

Comment

If you still get low speeds with CuteFTP then definitely you have a problem . If you live in Canada and your seedbox is located in Europe, then you experience massive speed losses. Better find a provider with server closer to you and test beforehand with a test file the speeds between the server and home. Before you do that, send a ticket to your current provider explaining your problem. Maybe he can relocate you or run some tests to see if they have any problem on their network . Most definitely though, your data get slowed down due to the transatlantic journey

Comment

Originally posted by instant_diver View Post
                If you still get low speeds with CuteFTP then definitely you have a problem . If you live in Canada and your seedbox is located in Europe, then you experience massive speed losses. Better find a provider with server closer to you and test beforehand with a test file the speeds between the server and home. Before you do that, send a ticket to your current provider explaining your problem. Maybe he can relocate you or run some tests to see if they have any problem on their network . Most definitely though, your data get slowed down due to the transatlantic journey

ok, i will try that, thanks

Comment

If you don't mind, give us a feedback at a later stage whether your situation has been resolved or not and what way. This may be helpful to other T-I members in similar situation. More importantly it will be intresting to know if there was a peering issue or not or whether it was your server's geolocation an issue with respect to your home pc

Comment

Originally posted by whitedoor View Post
                    Hi,

I just got myself a seedbox and I have been noticing that i'm not getting that great of a transfer rate when I move files to my PC. I use Filezilla and I have a VPN. I am curious what average speeds are for transferring files? (I'm getting 3.1 MB/S) am I just being silly expecting faster when my speed-test shows i can get around 50? Any and all insight will be appreciated.

Cheers,

Whitedoor
                    Do you really have a 50 MB/s (megabytes per second) connection, i.e. a 400 Mbps (megabits per second) connection? I very much doubt it. It's important to remember the difference between bits and bytes. If you have a 50 Mbps connection, that's 6.25 MB/s maximum (8 bits in a byte). So 3-5 MB/s on a single-thread ftp is pretty much what you'd expect. If you use multiple threads you might be able to hit 6.

Comment

Originally posted by Coal View Post
                      Do you really have a 50 MB/s (megabytes per second) connection, i.e. a 400 Mbps (megabits per second) connection? I very much doubt it. It's important to remember the difference between bits and bytes. If you have a 50 Mbps connection, that's 6.25 MB/s maximum (8 bits in a byte). So 3-5 MB/s on a single-thread ftp is pretty much what you'd expect. If you use multiple threads you might be able to hit 6.

I never realized it before this but you are correct, it is Mbps not MB/s that I was thinking it was. I guess from what you just informed me my speeds are pretty good if I am hitting 3 MB/s.

Comment

Working...
                      X