help with torrent upload speed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help with torrent upload speed

hello, really new to the whole private tracker thing. i became a member on ipt and began to dowload a few movies. now, my internet speed is quite good and the movies are downloading quickly at on average 3.5mb/s but the upload speeds are terrible never going above 5kb/s. how can i get my upload speeds up while keeping a decent download speed to improve my ratio as i really dont want to get band from the site. any help will be much appreciated
    i am using utorrent 2.2.1

I am not currently at home so I don't have my links available. However, I am assuming a home connection? Do a speed test and post it so members can see your speeds and offer better help.

As well you ensured your ports are open and if you are using a router its p2p friendly?

Also how is the seed/peer ratio on those torrents? Its likely you are competing against seedboxes for those torrents. It will make you have fast downloads but your upload is slow because members will connecting to the seedbox over you.

At this point just seed those torrents back for a long time. Often after the seedbox get their 1:1 ratio or 24 hours they drop the file and that's the benefit of seeding for a long time. As they drop it off the seed/peer ratio will drop and you will get more connections.

Cheers,
    DreJ

Sent from my BlackBerry 9790 using Tapatalk

Comment

its a home connection yes. speedtest results here.

Comment

add an exception in ur os firewall {antivirus/firewall combination}

for utorrent 2.2.1 and add the port u r currently using to d/l

then port forward the same port in ur router{use the ip of ur comp connecting to the router as sever ip}

like 10.0.0.2 or 192.168.1.2 or whichever u comp is using to connect to router

guide :

http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/

Comment

Are these new or old(more then a day) torrents?

Comment

Have you set your bandwidth configs right in uTorrent ? like the maximum number of connections, etc. ?

For that you need to run the ''wizard'' in utorrent, the integrated speedtest thing which will suggest you the best settings, from which you could start testing around what seems to work best for you.

Also, even though it seems counter intuitive, it might be better if you use Forced encryption instead of normal or whatever default setting. I think it works better for me (or i like to think so...)

Another thing is you might not want to use 100% of your bandwidth or it will kinda choke (or so i think) so maybe tune down max speeds by like 10-20%.

Finally, see if your version of uTorrent is supported by the tracker and if it is, there might be a lot of tips // help available on their forum as well.

All the suggestions mentioned by others above are all good as well. There are many things that can go wrong and it might never work 100%. There is a lot of trial // error involved i guess.

-Good luck :)

edit. Using the search option in the software section of this forum is also a good idea as there is plenty of threads about this already ^^
            Last edited by Ray791g; February 27, 2014, 06:16 AM.

Comment

Since everyone's covering pretty much everything, I'll just advice you not to follow Youtube. :D

Comment

Originally posted by Bukie View Post
                add an exception in ur os firewall {antivirus/firewall combination}

for utorrent 2.2.1 and add the port u r currently using to d/l

then port forward the same port in ur router{use the ip of ur comp connecting to the router as sever ip}

like 10.0.0.2 or 192.168.1.2 or whichever u comp is using to connect to router

guide :

http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/
                This is not going to ever help you bandwidth speed. If the port was being blocked he would have no upload.

I would in fact advise against port forwarding unless you really need it and know the implications - i.e. NAS box behind a firewall required ports for BT protocol forwarded to it.

There is a slight chance that the ISP limits upload for BT protocol. In which case you'd need either VPN or a Seedbox to get a better upload.

Comment

Originally posted by SJT View Post
                  This is not going to ever help you bandwidth speed. If the port was being blocked he would have no upload.

I would in fact advise against port forwarding unless you really need it and know the implications - i.e. NAS box behind a firewall required ports for BT protocol forwarded to it.
                  I don't want to sound confrontational or anything but isn't being connectable fairly important for maintaining a good ratio on private trackers?

Anyways, I'm definitely for first checking whether you are connectable. Many torrent sites will have an indicator which tells you if you are connectable or not (not a member at IPT, so not sure about this specific case) but you could also check by using port check tools such as http://www.canyouseeme.org/ If you aren't connectable, do what others have mentioned to forward your port and then check again. If you aren't connectable, your peers won't be able to see you (and hence you won't be able to upload). There are many guides on how to get connectable here on Torrent-Invites, just search for them.

It could also be other things such as downloading an old file that no one else is downloading anymore (you mentioned movies, not too sure if this means new or old), starting off on a private tracker often requires some patience. So don't expect your ratio to go flying right off the start (especially when you are still new to private trackers). When you start at any private tracker, you might need to be more choosy in selecting which files you download. Choose ones that are freeleech, popular, etc that will help you build ratio first and after you accumulate a buffer, you can go for the ones you may really want. Anyways, good luck and welcome to T-I!

Comment

Originally posted by leftovers View Post
                    I don't want to sound confrontational or anything but isn't being connectable fairly important for maintaining a good ratio on private trackers? T-I!
                    It's not confrontational at all good sir.

I don't see where I said anything about not connecting. My point was more that if there's at least some upload, then the port must be open for connections. More importantly, Port-Forwarding won't improve speeds, how can it? All you're doing is directing a packet destined for a specified port to a location on your internal network.

This is for BT protocol (6881-6889 and 6969 for the tracker). Don't confuse this with your own BT Client ports. For example, my firewall doesn't block BT but I do have to enable Port Forwarding for Transmission to update the tracker.

The upload could of course be a phantom figure, and the port is closed and won't connect at all. You could test this by logging into the tracker and seeing what it registers as active uploads (if I stop port forwarding to Transmission, trackers soon tell me I am not sharing anything - for example).

Comment

sounds like a config issue i think there are some tutorials elsewhere on the site?
                      sigpic

Comment

Working...
                      X