Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can't get soft subtitles to work when converting to avi.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Can't get soft subtitles to work when converting to avi.

    I've tried every software available and none of them have worked. I prefer DVDFab and have the box ticked to only show forced subtitles but when I convert with a subtitle it puts it on permanently and if I don't they're off permanently, I can't get it to switch on and off. I've formatted my PC and still no joy. It's on windows 7 ultimatex64 sp1, if that helps.

    I've struggled for months, if anyone could help me I'd be eternally grateful.

  • #2
    Option 1:

    First, convert to avi without subtitles.
    Then, use VitualDubMod to add a .SRT subtitle file to your avi video.
    Go to Streams > Stream List. Then, click "add" and select your subtitle file.

    Source: Muxing soft subtitles into .avi - is it possible? [Archive] - Doom9's Forum

    Option 2:

    Put the .SRT subtitle file in the same directory as the avi file. Make sure the avi file and the subtitle file have the same file name.
    Most media players will pick up the subtitle file when playing the video. You can disable the subtitles as well using the player or by removing/renaming the SRT file.

    Comment


    • #3
      I have done my bit of converting and I have always had great luck with ConvertXtoDVD - AVI to DVD Video Converter to burn on DVD Convertxtodvd by far I am sure you might know how to find it

      Comment


      • #4
        kraash, cheers I'm trying it now but not having much success. I'll keep at it and let you know.
        Itworks, I want the file to be .avi with soft subs, am I right in thinking this wouldn't end up with an avi file?

        thanks guys.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by TSV View Post
          kraash, cheers I'm trying it now but not having much success. I'll keep at it and let you know.
          Itworks, I want the file to be .avi with soft subs, am I right in thinking this wouldn't end up with an avi file?

          thanks guys.
          TSV I have been wrong before But convertx2dvd you can decide what format you want to end up with I would test it for you but do not have it installed on this computer

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by ItWorks View Post
            I have done my bit of converting and I have always had great luck with ConvertXtoDVD - AVI to DVD Video Converter to burn on DVD Convertxtodvd by far I am sure you might know how to find it
            Originally posted by kraash View Post
            Option 1:

            First, convert to avi without subtitles.
            Then, use VitualDubMod to add a .SRT subtitle file to your avi video.
            Go to Streams > Stream List. Then, click "add" and select your subtitle file.

            Source: Muxing soft subtitles into .avi - is it possible? [Archive] - Doom9's Forum

            Option 2:

            Put the .SRT subtitle file in the same directory as the avi file. Make sure the avi file and the subtitle file have the same file name.
            Most media players will pick up the subtitle file when playing the video. You can disable the subtitles as well using the player or by removing/renaming the SRT file.
            Originally posted by ItWorks View Post
            TSV I have been wrong before But convertx2dvd you can decide what format you want to end up with I would test it for you but do not have it installed on this computer
            Cheers, I'll give it another go.

            The latest.
            I've remuxed an avi file with an srt with avimux and it now plays fine and allows me to switch between subs on and off but when they are on, they don't show but the screen goes black at the bottom and resizes automatically so we can't be far off. Instead of subtitles it just says GAB2. Nearly there hopefully.

            Thanks to everyone who is helping.

            When I use Powerdvd it doesn't recognise the subtitle within the avi.
            Last edited by TSV; November 26, 2013, 04:25 PM.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by TSV View Post
              Cheers, I'll give it another go.

              The latest.
              I've remuxed an avi file with an srt with avimux and it now plays fine and allows me to switch between subs on and off but when they are on, they don't show but the screen goes black at the bottom and resizes automatically so we can't be far off. Instead of subtitles it just says GAB2. Nearly there hopefully.

              Thanks to everyone who is helping.

              When I use Powerdvd it doesn't recognise the subtitle within the avi.
              What is your endgame? What is the purpose of this? There are other ways to get subtitles into video files but I need to know what you're planning to do with the video after.
              Are you going to just watch it on your computer? Stream it to your TV? etc. Which program are you using to play the video?

              Comment


              • #8
                Update
                ConverttoDVD is just for DVD's.

                I'm trying to convert MKV Blurays into 550MB avi's with soft subs. I watch them on my PC and TV but these are to be uploaded. The shows I upload don't have subs and people are always moaning. The trouble I have is, if I include a .srt file then they need to delete it in order to get rid of the subtitles but to do that, they'd need to stop seeding. They can't delete or move any of the files without stopping the torrent. My uploads are very large, all episodes + all the extras so I really need an easy way to include soft subs.

                I can't believe I'm the first to have this problem, there has to be a workaround.

                Comment


                • #9
                  I just downloaded an avi file with a separate srt file and I'm using VLC to play it. In VLC, you can easily turn the subtitles off per show or even completely.
                  Off: Video > Subtitles > Disable
                  On: Video > Subtitles > Track 1
                  Permanent: Settings > Subtitles > Disable On-Screen Display

                  If you really want them to be inside one file:
                  Would you be opposed to using mkv as your container instead of avi? mkv naturally supports this "switch" function.
                  Use mkvmerge to add the srt to your video and audio. You can even write a batch script to encode many episodes at once.
                  If that's something you want to do, I can write the batch script for you.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    That's a great offer thanks, but mkv's don't work on most tv's. The files are already MKV and I was converting them to avi's so they could be used by more people. Personally I don't mind MKV's but lots of people prefer avi's.

                    I'm going to get this sorted, one way or another. If it's picking up the subtitle but not reading it properly, I'm sure I'll be able to fix that eventually. Have you come across GAB2? Googling it tells me it's a type of subtitle file but I've no ide how to correct it to display the subtitles.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Even if you managed to mux the subtitle file into the avi, I doubt that the TV will know how to switch them on and off.
                      Will the TV even play subtitles if they are in a separate srt file?

                      I'm just speculating but there's probably a reason why AVI uploaders use a separate srt file.
                      I've never heard of GAB2 but I think the problem lies in the avi container itself. It's probably not capable of accepting a subtitle file into itself.

                      You could .rar all the subtitle files. That way, video players wont pick them up until they are extracted.
                      It won't matter if the seeder wants the subtitles or not. They will then be able to choose while still being able to seed.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I play them on my tv from my PC via WMP and PowerDVD. That's a great shout re the rar subs. I'll keep trying but that's something to fall back on.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          My TV doesn't play mkv either but I use a media server that transcodes the file so that it plays on the TV. It does subtitles too.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by kraash View Post
                            My TV doesn't play mkv either but I use a media server that transcodes the file so that it plays on the TV. It does subtitles too.
                            I'm considering switching to MKV. It's a shame but there's a reason everyone else is using them.:(

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by TSV View Post
                              I'm considering switching to MKV. It's a shame but there's a reason everyone else is using them.:(
                              You should. x264/AC3 mkv encodes are better anyway.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X