Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about seedbox and dedicated servers

Hi!

I've noticed some threads where people setup their own seedbox from scratch, installing packages and such.
    I just wondered, is it safe to do that? Is it the same as leasing one from e.g. seedstuff.ca?
    I see the price for a Kimsufi Dedicated Server is much cheaper, than getting a seedbox from a seedbox provider.

- KP

When you use a provider like the one you listed you effectively are paying for them to set up and manage the server for you.

If you use a dedicated server you have to solve issues yourself and set up everything yourself, if you know how to it's definitely worth doing but if you don't then it may turn out to be more trouble than it's worth.
    Giveaways: IPT | AB | TVT | JPop | MyA | UG | BHD | C-B

Comment

Also on most tracker forums kind souls will help you fix things if they do go wrong on your Dedi. So its worth weighing up the options. If your willing to learn and not scared of the command line a Dedi can be the betetr and cheaper option. If computers or the CLI scare you its a bad one. Go to a reseller.

Comment

http://www.torrent-invites.com/seedb...nc-ubuntu.html

Check out this very thorough tutorial by Copper. It will give you an idea of what is involved in creating a seedbox from a kimsufi server. Once you follow this tutorial, there really isn't a difference except you won't get the support like others have said. There are always people here to help you though if you get stuck.

Comment

Thank you all. But is this just as 'safe' as it is to lease from a reseller?
          Ex. will OVH monitor what's going in and out of the dedicated servers?
          What's the worst that could happen if i get caught etc. ?

Comment

One of the biggest issues is OVH's requirement for proof of I.D... If you're concerned about privacy/anonymity, you may want to go the reseller route, as most require very little if any personal information.
            Thanks to the powers that be for VIP

Comment

if you want to setup your own box you take some more risks (like OVH shutting it down)
              and you'll need some linux knowledge.
              We want intros back

Stuck with getting that server turned into a seedbox ? Let a pro do it for
              FREE
              FreeSeedboxInstallService
              My Invite Threads
              ~~ Come and Visit us on IRC and have access to this wealth of commands ~~

Comment

You are going to have to give some kind of identification to OVH in order to get your server. It could be a photocopy of your ID card, driver's license, passport, etc. I think this is the way they proctect themselves against frauds..So after checking your idenitification I don't think they destroy it, so there is this extra risk, since they will know who you are.
                It's safer to buy from a reseller, since they don't ask for identification, you can just sign up with fake infos, pay with a new paypal account that is not on your name. So if an authority would go after you they would first go to OVH, then to the reseller. From the reseller they can only get your IP address probably, and having your IP address only has been proven problematic in court for them, as they cannot prosecute you based on IP only.
                But I have never heard of anyone getting in trouble when using OVH servers. Many people use it for seedboxes, so there is really a small chance of ever getting caught. Most likely if OVH gets many copyright complaints, they will just suspend your server, but nothing serious is gonna happen. Again, I have never heard of even a suspension taking place.

Comment

no ID is required for europe as far as i know .
                  We want intros back

Stuck with getting that server turned into a seedbox ? Let a pro do it for
                  FREE
                  FreeSeedboxInstallService
                  My Invite Threads
                  ~~ Come and Visit us on IRC and have access to this wealth of commands ~~

Comment

Originally posted by duketom View Post
                    no ID is required for europe as far as i know .
                    I'll see about that in the following days..I hope you're right :)

Comment

Photoshop or gimp and a VPN people its really not that hard. My effort was fairly poor and it still passed.

If it makes you feel better i ran a torrent site and tracker on an OVH server at one point for close to three months. Not a word was said. Long story but my seedbox was the only immediately available server with sufficient specs when the sites server melted. Once new hardware had been sourced and the server rebuilt we got it the hell off the OVH box obviously.

I made damned sure its not an easy task to link me to my OVH account or servers. One of them is used as a test bed for new tracker related stuff full time. So it doesnt pay to have it easily linkable lol

Comment

Working...
                      X