Network Player Suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Network Player Suggestions?

Running my home HTPC, I've been wanting to spread out the viewing capabilities to other rooms.

Mostly because my wife enjoys watching terrible Rom Coms and I definitely do not.

I want to find something that isn't enormous (not another PC, Xbox or PS3), works well either in a cabled or wifi setup (I have ethernet wiring throughout my house, but placement isn't perfect in every room), can play a huge variety of files, even though MKV has certainly become the most popular, and is simple enough to pass the 'Wife Test'. I love her, but if it isn't easy to use, I'll be doing more time teaching and re-teaching, rather then just letting her watch Marley and Me for the 6th time.

I've heard, of course, of Roku, Raspberry Pi, and WDTV...what's the big difference? I live in Canada if that makes any difference either...I seem to recall the RaspPi was only available in the UK?

Thanks in advance!

Personally, I like full functioning pcs that would run a standard OS. I would recommend a ASUS eeeBox. The other device are very cool and all, but their functionality is limited when compared to a mini form factor PC. The Raspberry Pi would also run a fedora based OS but it obviously isnt as powerful and has limited features.

If you are worried about it passing the "Wife Test" you can always have it boot into a media center app like XBMC. That way your wife can use it to watch her stuff, then you could use it for actual power user computing and such.

Just my 2 cents. Good luck!

Comment

In your particular case, I would go with Roku or WDTV. I personally own a WDTV, and while it lacks some features and the playback quality is far from perfect, it's simple and small, and surely will suit your needs.

Comment

Originally posted by petotas1978 View Post
        In your particular case, I would go with Roku or WDTV. I personally own a WDTV, and while it lacks some features and the playback quality is far from perfect, it's simple and small, and surely will suit your needs.
        Awesome, thanks, I appreciate the input. I know I've heard good things about the Roku, and I definitely know it has passed the "Wife Test" for a few other families! It's funny you mention the WDTV too, since I had come within a hairs breadth of buying one this past winter, but stepped away when I heard Roku was expanding their lineup in a few months time, hah!

[MENTION=238433]Brasky_Boxer[/MENTION] my main server is an HTPC with XBMC as the main interface, but I was looking for something as a single-purpose satellite unit in this case. Otherwise, I certainly agree with you that XBMC passes the test with flying colours.

Comment

I would have to agree and suggest the Roku for sharing to multiple TVs.

In the meantime, I would suggest checking out StreamToMe/ServeToMe if you have any Apple devices. It is extremely simple and works with iOS devices as well. You just install serve to me on your HTPC (Windows & Mac), then stream to me on your viewing device, and you are pretty much ready to go. You can also receive video on a Mac, I don't think the windows version has come out yet. I use this personally and it's pretty fantastic. The UI is a little lacking, but it works well and I have yet to come across a format it didn't like. The iOS app is $3, but it's worth it in my opinion.

Also, if you're thinking about buying a new TV anytime soon, most Samsung Smart TVs are ready to receive media out of the box. All you have to do is install a Servio console on your HTPC. It's extremely HQ as well. And it's a great time to buy, they are all plummeting in price right now. I just got a 40" for $350 and a 55" for $800

Hope this helps :)

Comment

Originally posted by FriskyDingo View Post
            I would have to agree and suggest the Roku for sharing to multiple TVs.

In the meantime, I would suggest checking out StreamToMe/ServeToMe if you have any Apple devices. It is extremely simple and works with iOS devices as well. You just install serve to me on your HTPC (Windows & Mac), then stream to me on your viewing device, and you are pretty much ready to go. You can also receive video on a Mac, I don't think the windows version has come out yet. I use this personally and it's pretty fantastic. The UI is a little lacking, but it works well and I have yet to come across a format it didn't like. The iOS app is $3, but it's worth it in my opinion.

Also, if you're thinking about buying a new TV anytime soon, most Samsung Smart TVs are ready to receive media out of the box. All you have to do is install a Servio console on your HTPC. It's extremely HQ as well. And it's a great time to buy, they are all plummeting in price right now. I just got a 40" for $350 and a 55" for $800

Hope this helps :)

Nice, good to know. I hadn't even thought of going the route of a Smart TV, but that's an excellent alternative. I may be waiting a while for that one though! No plans on buying a new TV anytime soon...although getting rid of the space heater that is my plasma TV would be a nice thing get done...

...maybe by the time I'm buying a new set they'll have smart HD projectors! Now that'd be sweet! Samsung needs to get on top of that product line...

Comment

Working...
            X