Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cross Seeding Help Wanted

hi friends out there,

i am trying to seed two torrents using utorrent 2.2.1. Sometimes I am able to seed two torrents, but sometimes I can't - utorrent would say "The torrent you are trying to add is already in the list of torrents. Do you want to add the trackers from it ?" when I try to add the second torrent file. If I click YES, the second tracker's announce url will be added into utorrent list, and I know I shouldn't be doing that because I will be considered cheating. The only button I can click is NO, and I'd end up seeding one torrent. Are there any ways to circumvent this ?

Thanks in advance.

This happens when both torrents have the same hash and I'm not aware of any easy way to get around this. What you could try (I've never tested this so I've no idea if it'll work or not) is creating a duplicate copy of the downloaded data in a separate location on your hard drive. Then try to point the second torrent to that second location. If it works as intended then you'll get a second entry in utorrent and both entries will just have the one announce url associated with them. Bear in mind that this may be more hassle than it's worth :)

Comment

Originally posted by Kvothe View Post
      This happens when both torrents have the same hash and I'm not aware of any easy way to get around this. What you could try (I've never tested this so I've no idea if it'll work or not) is creating a duplicate copy of the downloaded data in a separate location on your hard drive. Then try to point the second torrent to that second location. If it works as intended then you'll get a second entry in utorrent and both entries will just have the one announce url associated with them. Bear in mind that this may be more hassle than it's worth :)
      Yes i can confirm this method works.

Comment

If both torrents were already uploaded by someone else in two different trackers, I'm afraid Kvothe's method is the only possible solution. Maybe some clients support different torrents with the same hash, but not utorrent.

However, if you intend to upload a file you snatched from a tracker to other trackers, there's no need to fill your HD with two copies of the same file. You just have to make sure all torrents pointing to the same file were created using a different piece size and therefore a different hash. You have to be the uploader to be able to choose the piece size of the torrent.

Comment

To not become surprised having in mind that what you do (to seed a file with two announce urls), banned for several trackers under the rules of them. Otherwise i agree with the above...

Comment

doesn't this means i have to waste disk space ? if the data is 10GB and intend to upload to 4 different trackers, then duplicating the data in separate location of my hard drive means I need 40GB space for the same data. Is there solution using the same 10GB data to seed the different trackers ?

Actually, I check both the Hash and MD5 of both torrents, they are totally different. I am not quite sure if the hash thingy mentioned many a time by forumers here is valid.

Originally posted by czmilos View Post
            Yes i can confirm this method works.
            Last edited by droplets; April 17, 2013, 08:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by droplets View Post
              doesn't this means i have to waste disk space ? if the data is 10GB and intend to upload to 4 different trackers, then duplicating the data in separate location of my hard drive means I need 40GB space for the same data. Is there solution using the same 10GB data to seed the different trackers ?
              That's exactly what it would mean, and that's why I said that it may not be worth the hassle. If it's just one or two files that you're planning to do it for and if disk space isn't an issue then it's fine, but for general on-going purposes it's certainly not something I'd bother with.

Comment

can i understand how to go about "Making sure all torrents pointing the same file were created using a different piece size and therefore a different hash."

am able to upload but I don't quite understand "able to choose the piece size of the torrent"

appreciate any advice, thanks.

Originally posted by dfrost View Post
                If both torrents were already uploaded by someone else in two different trackers, I'm afraid Kvothe's method is the only possible solution. Maybe some clients support different torrents with the same hash, but not utorrent.

However, if you intend to upload a file you snatched from a tracker to other trackers, there's no need to fill your HD with two copies of the same file. You just have to make sure all torrents pointing to the same file were created using a different piece size and therefore a different hash. You have to be the uploader to be able to choose the piece size of the torrent.

Comment

can i understand how to go about "Making sure all torrents pointing the same file were created using a different piece size and therefore a different hash."

am able to upload but I don't quite understand "able to choose the piece size of the torrent"

appreciate any advice, thanks.
                  When you create a new torrent, your client should have an option to select the piece size. Every client I've used so far does. Torrents created with a small piece size are bigger than torrents created with a big piece size (I'm talking about the .torrent file size)

But if you want to cross seed to a tracker that already has that file (you were not the uploader) you can only hope that the uploaders created the .torrent files with different piece sizes or make a duplicate copy of the file.

Comment

The hash of a torrent contains the information of both the files and the tracker, that is, two different torrents CAN NEVER have the same hash even they are pointing to the same files.
                    Torrent uploaded to a private tracker can be made in two ways: one is use utorrent or alike to make new torrent, the other is to use some software to edit the tracker address of an existed torrent that you used to download the files. In the first way, the two torrents probably contain different information of the pieces of files due to the parameters choosen when making torrents and thus can be loaded in utorrent at the same time, however if in the second way, the file piece information are totally the same and you can only add tracker to the other torrent as in your situation.
                    I have no solutions for this. Actually I have ever chosen to add tracker to an existed torrent and I didn't get warnings for cheating, but this can not prove this action to be safe.You'd better check with the staff whether this is really considered cheating or not.

Comment

i have a question regarding this.....let me put it this way, i have a file that i want to upload to tracker A and tracker B. just to make sure im not breaking any rules, when i create the new torrent, can i have both A and B's tracker announce'es??

hopefully im making it clear, what im asking. same file upload, two different trackers, one torrent?
                      special thanks to extJSDB for the VIP. special thanks to SiniuS for the avatar.
                      sigpic
                      "Alea iacta est." - The die is cast

"Veni, vidi, vici!" - I came, I saw, I conquered.

caesar....

Comment

Originally posted by PRIMUSPILUS View Post
                        i have a question regarding this.....let me put it this way, i have a file that i want to upload to tracker A and tracker B. just to make sure im not breaking any rules, when i create the new torrent, can i have both A and B's tracker announce'es??

hopefully im making it clear, what im asking. same file upload, two different trackers, one torrent?
                        No, you can't do that. If you did then the upload amount for one tracker would be counted on the second tracker as well and that's a form of ratio cheating. You need to create a separate torrent file for each tracker that you are uploading to, with only that particular tracker's announce url in it.

Comment

No, you can't do that. If you did then the upload amount for one tracker would be counted on the second tracker as well and that's a form of ratio cheating. You need to create a separate torrent file for each tracker that you are uploading to, with only that particular tracker's announce url in it.
                          thank you for clearing this up for me. i too have been having issues as the OP, now i know what and what not to do.

thanks +2
                          special thanks to extJSDB for the VIP. special thanks to SiniuS for the avatar.
                          sigpic
                          "Alea iacta est." - The die is cast

"Veni, vidi, vici!" - I came, I saw, I conquered.

caesar....

Comment

thanks for the detailed explanation, will try upload with the same file in different piece size to different trackers. will also update this thread if successful. thanks once again, dfrost.

When you create a new torrent, your client should have an option to select the piece size. Every client I've used so far does. Torrents created with a small piece size are bigger than torrents created with a big piece size (I'm talking about the .torrent file size)

But if you want to cross seed to a tracker that already has that file (you were not the uploader) you can only hope that the uploaders created the .torrent files with different piece sizes or make a duplicate copy of the file.

Comment

thanks for the detailed explanation, will try upload with the same file in different piece size to different trackers. will also update this thread if successful. thanks once again, dfrost.
                              Have you tried downloading another torrent client and seeding to one tracker from one client and using another client for the other tracker. This way you won't have to have two copies of the file.

Comment

Working...
                              X