Starting torrents from IPhone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting torrents from IPhone?

I've been looking for a way to start torrents from my non-jailbroke iphone on my home computer. I was using dropbox and utorrent looking at the folder on Android. Is there a way to do something similar on an IPhone without jailbreaking? Thanks.

Originally posted by heemid2001 View Post
    I've been looking for a way to start torrents from my non-jailbroke iphone on my home computer. I was using dropbox and utorrent looking at the folder on Android. Is there a way to do something similar on an IPhone without jailbreaking? Thanks.
    I'm pretty sure you going to need to jailbreak your phone in order to use any torrent related software, Do you have a specific reason for wanting to not jailbreak your phone?
    sigpic
    "We are Anonymous, We are Legion, We do not Forgive, We do not forget, Expect us."
    || FAQ || Rules || Ratio Proof Guide || iGiver Guide ||
    || Want to be a TI DJ? Apply HERE ||

Comment

I looked for a way to start torrents on non-jailbroken iPhone, and I found nothing... Now I have a jailbroken iPhone and I use torrents on it, I hope you will find someone that can bring to you a solution without jailbreaking...

Cheers.

Comment

From the little research I've done you can do it without jailbreak, but you have to pay for the apps, or with jailbreak and pay nothing.

If you jailbreak it, all you need is download an App called iTransmission from Cydia. It works like uTorrent, so it's really easy to use.

A little more information about iTransmission here and here.

I've done a jailbreak on my iPod and I must confess I don't use many things from Cydia, because I'm usually at home, so what I'd do on my iPod I do on my PC. But for people who need/want to have plenty of apps on the iPod/iPhone/iPad jailbreak really is the best option. It's easy, free and allows you to do many things with your device.

Comment

-HiddenApps
          also there are tutorials on youtube , showing how to install apps on non jailbroken phones ,but be careful of these because some can be scams
          sigpic

Raum shadowbuild extJSDB(For VIP) Copper TankGirl IguessNot KevinTrevor
          Cafe gblaze ghost6945
          Hyoksang
          pejiotoPatriotlion GPaX HunTer666 MadafakinBATMAN
          WhiteLie (For signature) MichaelJenkinsSportsFan23
          and all the other members and friends (omg too many to add to list)

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions. Last time I jailbroke my 3GS it seemed like there was some stability issues. My iphone5 runs fine and just dont want to mess with it. I'm not looking to download on my phone but rather start a download on my computer from my phone. I'll post a guide if I ever figure it out.

Comment

Originally posted by heemid2001 View Post
              Thanks for the suggestions. Last time I jailbroke my 3GS it seemed like there was some stability issues. My iphone5 runs fine and just dont want to mess with it. I'm not looking to download on my phone but rather start a download on my computer from my phone. I'll post a guide if I ever figure it out.
              I'm sorry, I gave you a wrong solution then. I thought you would like to have Torrents downloaded to your iOS, not use iOS to start a download on your PC.

There's a tool that I've successfully used to control my PC using my iPod: LogMeIn. It's really easy to use, I can't remember what you have to do, because I've used it a while ago, but all the steps are there, and you can set it up in a few minutes... I uninstalled it because I didn't need to have that kind of feature, and because I fear it might be easier for someone to hack into your iOS and then get into your PC. Of course, this is a risk you have to take if you really wish to have this sort of app, but unless you're a FBI special agent, you should be fine.

Comment

I don't understand why Dropbox in your iPhone + the torrent client listening on a Dropbox folder doesn't work for you like it did in Android.

Comment

Originally posted by petotas1978 View Post
                  I don't understand why Dropbox in your iPhone + the torrent client listening on a Dropbox folder doesn't work for you like it did in Android.
                  Yea, it should work fine.

I'm currently using uTorrent's Web UI. All I do is log onto it from my iPhone, copy-paste the torrent link from whichever site, and Add Torrent from URL. You don't need to overly complicate things with dropbox or a remote desktop client.

Comment

Iphone doesnt let you download/save torrent files and Dropbox doesn't upload .torrent files. I was thinking there is a way to create a RSS on the phone but I can use the webUI, I was just used to Dropbox.

Comment

That's what I'm saying; you don't need the .torrent file. Simply copy the torrent link and paste that into the Web UI. Doing so eliminates some of the steps you've been accustomed to.

Not entirely sure what you mean by create a RSS on the phone; but, to me, that seems redundant and pointless. Why not just add the RSS feed on your PC's client?

Comment

Use the u-Torrent web UI!! All you need to do is set a password and username at Options > Preferences > Advance > Web UI

Comment

Originally posted by el2em View Post
                          That's what I'm saying; you don't need the .torrent file. Simply copy the torrent link and paste that into the Web UI. Doing so eliminates some of the steps you've been accustomed to.

Not entirely sure what you mean by create a RSS on the phone; but, to me, that seems redundant and pointless. Why not just add the RSS feed on your PC's client?
                          All true, the webUI is the simplest way to do it. I just thought there had to be someway to do it with dropbox. Thanks for the suggestions/help.

Comment

[MENTION=114340]heemid2001[/MENTION]

You can do it with Dropbox. You need to have the Dropbox app installed and use a web browser that supports it (e.g., Safari). When you click on the torrent link, it'll allow you to select one of two options: (i) Open in... or (ii) Open in "Dropbox". From there you can select the folder you want to save the .torrent file. If you have your uTorrent watch folder set correctly on your PC, it will automatically download once your Dropbox folders synchronizes.

It's no different from an Android phone and you do not need to be jailbroken. Although, I don't know why you wouldn't want to jailbreak your phone when a stock iPhone5 is fairly useless otherwise. I was about to sell it, but then they finally released an untethered jailbreak last month.

Comment

If you use Vuze as a client on your PC then you can use Vuze Remote from any web browser to control it.

Comment

Working...
                              X